Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 04:31 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,122,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
Geez, I guess the "nicest people you'll ever find" are outside today enjoying the warmer weather and not posting on this thread. Heck, my own brother is a proud redneck (or as redneck a Navy jet flight instructor with a graduate degree can be.) He is out hog hunting this very moment, ahem. But his wife's family is REALLY redneck, from Arkansas. My all-time favorite quote from my SIL: "I know you're not supposed to eat the squirrel brains, but sometimes I just can't help myself."

Oh yeaahhh. Gotta love 'em!
Basically. Move along people, there's nothing to see here. Don't worry west seattle girl, you're not missing **** here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 04:59 PM
ptt

497 posts, read 631,895 times
I am an atheist so does my DH and DS we are in the suburb of Houston. My kid go to a public school just the other day that my 6 yrs old disagree with his friend about how human are created because his friend told him that god created us but mine says the reason we are here today is a result of the Big Bang.

Our lawn is heavily manicured due to the HOA. I am not complaining as long as I do not have to do it myself. I do not think that there is any place on earth that suit you perfectly but it's all about you and your attitude to make thing work.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:12 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,510,622 times
Annise Parker talks about Houston changing from 'redneck white city' to 'boomtown' - Houston Chronicle

Here is an article from May 2013 where your own mayor states that Houston is evolving from a "white redneck city" into something more positive. She is not the first person to address this stereotype about Houston, and I wanted to hear about the new, diverse, cool Houston that is drawing so many transplants. I did not mean to insult anyone and apologize for writing such a short post without context, but I am truly searching for a home and have posted in multiple city forums...and writing posts can be tiring. Just thought I was laying out exactly what I want, and did not mean to imply that you all fit a stereotype.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:19 PM

6,262 posts, read 7,410,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
Annise Parker talks about Houston changing from 'redneck white city' to 'boomtown' - Houston Chronicle

Here is an article from May 2013 where your own mayor states that Houston is evolving from a "white redneck city" into something more positive. She is not the first person to address this stereotype about Houston, and I wanted to hear about the new, diverse, cool Houston that is drawing so many transplants. I did not mean to insult anyone and apologize for writing such a short post without context, but I am truly searching for a home and have posted in multiple city forums...and writing posts can be tiring. Just thought I was laying out exactly what I want, and did not mean to imply that you all fit a stereotype.
Can you tell us about what kind of job opportunities you would be seeking in Houston ? What is your experience, education , training ect.....

Old 01-01-2014, 05:23 PM
ptt

497 posts, read 631,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Can you tell us about what kind of job opportunities you would be seeking in Houston ? What is your experience, education , training ect.....
Also, how much is your budget because those museums, shops with walkable areas, farmer's markets, bookstores, great schools, dog parks, kid parks and cultural offerings come with a heavy price tag.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:28 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,758,557 times
She has already crossed Houston off her list. The creationist agenda here is a good reason to be wary. Science is winning right now, but who knows when the religious agenda will manage to push through.

I think in some ways she has good reason to: Darwin inspired Hitler: Lies they teach in Texas - Salon.com

Texas Public Schools: Still Teaching Creationism | Mother Jones

Creationist Demands That Houston Museum Ban Atheists and Science Supporters | TFN Insider

Old 01-01-2014, 05:50 PM

967 posts, read 2,595,875 times
Well there's your answer.

We (Houston) are more diverse than you thought.

But diversity has more than one side of the coin. If you really embrace diversity you have to tolerate living near folks with a different viewpoint than your own.

No one likes living next door to folks who criticize their lifestyle. If rednecks, malls, materialism, and church are going to bother you as much as your 1st post indicates, you will not be happy here. But you will not be happy anywhere, I'm afraid.

I saw your posts in the Seattle Forum. You need to open your mind a little. You are looking for something that does not exist. There is no perfect utopia. In order to be happy in Seattle, Houston, or anywhere else you are going to have to accept that no place is perfect. You just have to make the best of where you are.

And open your mind and heart a little. Rednecks can be fun! In fact many of them probably don't like manicured lawns, and shopping malls either. You need to drive up to Omak, sit in a lawn chair, have a beer, eat some home-canned cherries. Forget the farmer's market, the neighbor will pass you all the zucchini and rhubarb from their garden that you can stand.

My point is... if you will lighten up about people, you will find that you have a lot in common with them. You might claim to not like "rednecks," but what look like rednecks to you in WA are often the most nature-loving, resourceful, non materialistic people you will meet.

Im sorry, your original post here sounded very closed minded. You want to live in your version of a perfect neighborhood with your version of perfect people. Wake up, hun... there's no such place.

Wherever you are... and wherever you end up, learn to embrace (or at least tolerate!) the world around you.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:37 PM

129 posts, read 233,167 times
I lived in Washington for more than half my life and live in Houston now. I loved Washington, and I love Houston.

You're going to find rednecks here. And malls. And manicured lawns. And materialism. Nobody is going to be forcing you to participate in any of that though (unless you choose to be in an HOA... better mow your lawn). If the mere existence of these around you is a dealbreaker, then forget it. But again, it's not like anyone is putting a gun to your head and making you participate. Hate lawns? Plant a garden. Hate malls? Shopt at a thrift store. To each his own.

"To each his own" is actually a great way to describe Houston. You're also going to find one of the most racially diverse areas in the US, with a thriving economy, and an awesome restaurant scene. Texas is known for being very conservative. I've found that Houston fits into the "fiscally conservative, socially progressive" set, and differs from much of Texas in this.

So far, I'd say my biggest gripe with Houston is the lack of walkability. It's seriously lacking in that department. I can't defend it on that front.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:01 PM

1,156 posts, read 978,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by descovy View Post
Well there's your answer.

We (Houston) are more diverse than you thought.

But diversity has more than one side of the coin. If you really embrace diversity you have to tolerate living near folks with a different viewpoint than your own.

No one likes living next door to folks who criticize their lifestyle. If rednecks, malls, materialism, and church are going to bother you as much as your 1st post indicates, you will not be happy here. But you will not be happy anywhere, I'm afraid.

I saw your posts in the Seattle Forum. You need to open your mind a little. You are looking for something that does not exist. There is no perfect utopia. In order to be happy in Seattle, Houston, or anywhere else you are going to have to accept that no place is perfect. You just have to make the best of where you are.

And open your mind and heart a little. Rednecks can be fun! In fact many of them probably don't like manicured lawns, and shopping malls either. You need to drive up to Omak, sit in a lawn chair, have a beer, eat some home-canned cherries. Forget the farmer's market, the neighbor will pass you all the zucchini and rhubarb from their garden that you can stand.

My point is... if you will lighten up about people, you will find that you have a lot in common with them. You might claim to not like "rednecks," but what look like rednecks to you in WA are often the most nature-loving, resourceful, non materialistic people you will meet.

Im sorry, your original post here sounded very closed minded. You want to live in your version of a perfect neighborhood with your version of perfect people. Wake up, hun... there's no such place.

Wherever you are... and wherever you end up, learn to embrace (or at least tolerate!) the world around you.
Wish some on here would just get over what they thought her tone was. She's apologized, and quite frankly she has been very nice about it. I'm not going to attempt to guess what the OP's intent was and if the tone was offensive to some, as everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I did not read that she called Houston a redneck city or even mention that it is not diverse. I just don't see it in the post.

If you read the Seattle thread then you could see all the thoughtful responses she was given, rather than the ones here that said "we don't want you here" and calling her family ignorant. She also mentions she may be dealing with SAD. I've never heard of that and had to look it up, so maybe some here think I'm ignorant.

I could see how Seattle could have that effect on someone. I start looking on these threads to assist me in deciding on a potential move to Houston or Austin. I begin to think the grass is greener than in Dallas as it may be 10 degrees warmer in the winter than here. I quickly realize to just deal with it and stay.

WestGal - the poster that grew up in Houston and has a 2nd home in Seattle gave you invaluable insight. Use it and come visit a few times if you still want to consider Houston. I mean stay in hotels in the neighborhoods that you are considering. Go to the restaurants, grocery stores, banks, pharmacies, anywhere that you would go on a daily basis and see what you think.

I do a lot of business in Houston and there are some very nice people. It seems to be that way in TX in general. Much more so than other places I have lived.

There are the people that are very religious and others that are not. I believe that's true inmost places, but do think it is more religious in TX. Heck, the first day we moved into our house we were asked about church. Being somewhat non-religious myself, i just listened and just kind of blew it off. Maybe that would really put you off, not sure. Do I agree with it or even like it, no, but it's just not worth my energy at this point.

I do think you would be unhappy in most of the suburbia neighborhoods from the people I know that live in Katy, Pearland, SugarLand, The Woodlands, etc. There are some that really like it, but it seems for the most part we live there for schools and just overall easiness of life with children.

Good luck in your search.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:05 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,641,953 times
So well said, descovy. So well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston