Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 11:57 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,525,630 times

Advertisements

Houston is supposedly the hot place to live for job opportunities and cheap housing. We are seeking both!

Our family is politically liberal, non-religious, and would never place our kids in a school that teaches Creationsism as a viable explanation about the natural world. We love independent shops with walkable areas, farmer's markets, bookstores, great schools, dog parks, kid parks, museums, cultural offerings, diversity (except for dumb rednecks), and a laid-back lifestyle. I dislike malls, an obsession with clothes/appearance, materialism, and overly manicured lawns.

Would Houston be a good fit?

Anyone else move from Seattle to Houston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 12:12 PM

116 posts, read 196,242 times
No, Houston would not be a good fit for you. Try Austin. Better yet, try another state.....please.

Last edited by sketteroo; 12-31-2013 at 12:27 PM..

Old 12-31-2013, 12:12 PM

6,288 posts, read 7,492,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
Houston is supposedly the hot place to live for job opportunities and cheap housing. We are seeking both!

Our family is politically liberal, non-religious, and would never place our kids in a school that teaches Creationsism as a viable explanation about the natural world. We love independent shops with walkable areas, farmer's markets, bookstores, great schools, dog parks, kid parks, museums, cultural offerings, diversity (except for dumb rednecks), and a laid-back lifestyle. I dislike malls, an obsession with clothes/appearance, materialism, and overly manicured lawns.

Go straight to Montrose (neighborhood in Houston), do not pass go !

P.S. not from Seattle , not a redneck either...

Old 12-31-2013, 12:20 PM

705 posts, read 1,259,543 times
You pretty much describe everything Houston isn't under your likes, and everything Houston is under your dislikes.

I do want to add, for most of us here, we love it! I went away for school and moved back as soon as I was done.

Last edited by Kiovo; 12-31-2013 at 01:36 PM..

Old 12-31-2013, 12:21 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
If she shaves her legs I'll be crushed.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:48 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post

I dislike rude people from the NW...

Last edited by rynetwo; 12-31-2013 at 01:01 PM..

Old 12-31-2013, 01:06 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,098,960 times
what kiovo said....

i suggest not moving here. although i feel houston can offer what you listed, imo i think youre gonna get the vibe of what you dislike and what you DO like you wont think theres enough of. if that makes sense...

theres pockets of what you want in houston (and austin, and sa, and dallas), but not enough to satisfy what you want.

honestly, id stay where you are. or oregon or the bay area, but im sure its more expensive.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:18 PM

418 posts, read 741,882 times
You wouldn't like it here. Sounds like you're right where you need to be.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:33 PM

392 posts, read 998,313 times
Lmao, yea Houston can provide most everything on your "wants" list in spades. however I don't think this is the place for you.

Do you have a job lined up already, or work history in a local industry that you could find a job in? (O&G/Medical/Shipping/plant) Because if your having trouble finding employment in the NW I'm not sure what makes you think that will change in Houston.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:00 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sketteroo View Post
No, Houston would not be a good fit for you. Try Austin. Better yet, try another state.....please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiovo View Post
You pretty much describe everything Houston isn't under your likes, and everything Houston is under your dislikes.

I do want to add, for most of us here, we love it! I went away for school and moved back as soon as I was done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
I dislike rude people from the NW...
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post
what kiovo said....

i suggest not moving here. although i feel houston can offer what you listed, imo i think youre gonna get the vibe of what you dislike and what you DO like you wont think theres enough of. if that makes sense...

theres pockets of what you want in houston (and austin, and sa, and dallas), but not enough to satisfy what you want.

honestly, id stay where you are. or oregon or the bay area, but im sure its more expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glossa View Post
You wouldn't like it here. Sounds like you're right where you need to be.

^^^^^^this. God knows we don't need any more whack job liberals moving trying to turn Houston(Texas) into whatever failed state they are coming from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston