Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 09:15 AM

41 posts, read 60,257 times

Advertisements

Last year, I was driving northbound on Shepherd (...minding my own business ) and after crossing I-10, there is an incline (there is an Italian food store/restaurant on the right) and I was coasting on the down side of this incline, the ubiquitous men in blue were waiting for me and signaled for me to pull into a shopping strip. It seemed like a citation love fest because there were five other cars in the parking lot getting their custom invitation to the Municipal Court. My 14 y/o nephew was asleep in the back seat and woke up when he hard me talking to the officer. I got dinged again because he wasn't wearing a seat belt. My nephew quipped to the officer, "Are you for real?" I told him to be quiet so that that they wouldn't find another reason to give me another ticket...well...ADDITIONALLY, I only had a rear license plate on my car because that was the only one that was issued and installed by the dealership...and yep, got a third ding for that. I was fuming because 1) I was never informed that this was an infraction before and, 2) I became aware of the number of vehicles, same make/model as mine, also without the front license plate after getting my ticket .

Since then, I have seen the same two officers pulling over folks at that same spot and I body temperature increases when I think back on my situation. Side note: the speeding ticket was reduced and the single license plate ticket was dismissed but I had to pay a reduced fine for my sleeping nephew (...okay, I get that).

Another one is the Kirby exit ramp off of 59 southbound. Even though you have a limited distance to cross over three lanes in order to turn right on Kirby with the oncoming traffic...DO NOT cross that double line to get over. Many times, there is an officer waiting for you at that Allegiance Bank building. I had a very "charged"conversation with the officer on that one after I was issued another municipal court invite. So bad, that I drove back around and apologized for chewing him out so bad...after he gave me the ticket! That ticket was also dismissed...always good to have a lawyer to represent you.

Are there other notable speed traps in the city that we should be aware of?

I hate the freeway underpass thing they do as you are turning to check your registration sticker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 09:41 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,770,670 times
They have been doing that on Shepherd for years. Never got me though and I must have passed them hundreds of times over the years.

Another place is on the South Loop around Kirby to Stella Link. They will be on both sides but I notice them more on the Westbound side. There are "hills" and when you come over the top they are at the bottom with a radar gun.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:49 AM

705 posts, read 1,260,162 times
The underpass of I10 at Gessner is a hot spot. HPD stands there and waves people over w/o seatbelt and expired registration tags. These non moving violations are the biggest waste of time, IMO.

I remember they used to pull people over at the HWY 6 entrance ramp getting onto I10 if they cross the double white line, but serves them right, cutting in line.

I drive around w/o a front license plate, another non moving violation bs ticket.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:43 AM

41 posts, read 60,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiovo View Post
The underpass of I10 at Gessner is a hot spot. HPD stands there and waves people over w/o seatbelt and expired registration tags. These non moving violations are the biggest waste of time, IMO.

I remember they used to pull people over at the HWY 6 entrance ramp getting onto I10 if they cross the double white line, but serves them right, cutting in line.

I drive around w/o a front license plate, another non moving violation bs ticket.
This was my exact sentiment as the officer was writing me up...

Old 01-02-2014, 10:59 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
I have never seen them doing the registration thing. I see cars around here with tags from 2011 and 2012 still. Both old and new.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:07 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Meanwhile... everybody drive 10-20MPH over the speed limit on I-45 in front of The Woodlands and you never see a cop aroudn there.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:41 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
First, a small nit. In Texas, for non-commercial vehicles, you are not required to carry or show "proof of registration". In all the cop shows (filmed in LA or wherever), they always ask for driver's license and registration. Not in Texas. You are, of course, required to have the stickers on your car (inspection & license tag).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Poindexter View Post
It seemed like a citation love fest because there were five other cars in the parking lot getting their custom invitation to the Municipal Court.
Yeah, those are the tag-team radar traps. Where they often have one officer with a laser gun, and 2 or 3 others writing people up. The laser guy can flag over as many as he wants, as fast as he can, and the ticket-writers just churn 'em out for the waiting suckers.

On the I-45 Gulf Fwy feeder road, between Broad/Griggs and Wayside (both sides, North & South), they do this all the time. It's a looong feeder, so people tend to be 50+ by the time they enter the on-ramp. And of course, they sit right before the on-ramp.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:18 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,696,041 times
San Felipe in the River Oaks area there sometimes is a trap. I don't know of many in Houston. I speed everywhere.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:22 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
The only trap I have seen since being back in Houston this past year is the cops on the 59/527 split, ticketing the cutters. Saw something similar on 10 going east just inside 610. People like to cut into the hov lane (which turns into a regular lane a little further down) to cut in front of traffic.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:28 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,583 times
Deerpark, TX. I dont pass thru there anymore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston