Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 03:40 PM

29 posts, read 57,546 times

Advertisements

Are we witnessing the decline of Seven Meadows and the Grand Lakes area? Namely around 1093 and Grand Parkway.

There are currently at least three apartment complexes being built at the moment. I can only see more being built along 1093 in the currently empty lots.

If you live in the area, what do you think, is it time to move before it's too late?

---

Before anyone jumps in and start accusing me of being discriminatory against apartment dwellers, this is not what it's about. It's about the simple fact that in most cases, when apartments start getting built around houses, the value of the houses go down. I simply want to protect my investment.

---

Semi-related topic. Do developers just get to build apartments wherever they want or do nearby residents get any say?

Last edited by Nishishei; 12-17-2013 at 03:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 03:53 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishishei View Post
Before anyone jumps in and start accusing me of being discriminatory against apartment dwellers, this is not what it's about. It's about the simple fact that in most cases, when apartments start getting built around houses, the value of the houses go down. I simply want to protect my investment.
I can't blame you at all for wanting to protect your investment.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:02 PM

99 posts, read 151,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishishei View Post
Are we witnessing the decline of Seven Meadows and the Grand Lakes area? Namely around 1093 and Grand Parkway.

There are currently at least three apartment complexes being built at the moment. I can only see more being built along 1093 in the currently empty lots.

If you live in the area, what do you think, is it time to move before it's too late?

---

---

Semi-related topic. Do developers just get to build apartments wherever they want or do nearby residents get any say?
You have a valid concern and I actually live up the road on 99 and Bay Hill. There is a new condo (luxury unit) complex being built right on the feeder road of 99. The Costco lot will have more retail and apartments as well. I think it will make the area more desirable as long as the development is planned and makes sense.
Drive down Cinco and you will see lots with planned construction for new restaurants. La Centerra is expanding rapidly and all this is serving the community well.

Having said that I dont know why they want condos right on 99??? I fear it could make the place an easy target for robbery or theft (easy way in and out).

Old 12-17-2013, 06:48 PM

705 posts, read 1,260,668 times
Depends on who's managing the apartment complexes and how much rent is for. I don't believe that area is declining anytime soon.

The problem with that area is, it's in an unicorporated area of fort bend so developers can buy the land and build pretty much what they want. For the most part, the area surrounding Grand Lakes is pretty built out. I wouldn't be worried.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:15 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,206,100 times
Some apartments don't hurt - it's when an area becomes inundated with them.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:28 PM

285 posts, read 568,367 times
With suburban apartments in Houston it's not a question of if, but when, they will become section 8 thug and drug-infested cesspools.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:30 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,887,242 times
This is why I've always bought in built out areas where I know what's there. Sometimes that means an outdated home, but I'd rather have that (and do upgrades) than end up anywhere near apartments.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:42 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,566,806 times
It's always sad to me how Houston apartment complexes (no matter how nice) seem to always have expiration dates. The lucky ones get knocked down and rebuilt if the area stays nice. I worked in Alief for years and saw some really cool old apartment complexes that had very interesting architectural designs and looked like they were probably top of the line back in the early 80's and it just made me sad how affordable and violent they were. I never lived there, but I worked with families in the area and heard stories from the kids.

I've always lived in apartment complexes. I've never lived in a place that is more than 10-15 years old. When I moved out to LA, I ended up in apartments from the 70's and they were nice, maintained, and full of friendly people with jobs. I can't name too many areas of Houston where one could find a similar complex... maybe TC Jester in Timbergrove? Brompton around the Med Center? Hard to find.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:18 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,458,760 times
I would be more concerned with the decline of the Mason Road area instead. The Harris County side of South Katy is definitely on its way down especially with the older housing stock in West Memorial trying to compete with the gorgeous new construction in Cinco SW, Cross Creek, Firethorne, et al.

I was expecting Randalls to occupy the grocery anchor at Southpark instead of another Kroger. That would put a Randalls closer to most of Cinco Ranch and augment the Mason Road location. But I guess financing and cash flow management problems keep them from expanding right now.

If Randalls had to close stores (again), what would become of the vacant Mason Road location? Food Town is one candidate but Fiesta might consider getting closer to Cinco Ranch.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:24 AM

833 posts, read 1,887,896 times
Oh no! Katy is turning into Alief, time to move out past Sealy. Get a grip people, this area is will be a good area for years to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston