Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 02:51 PM

30 posts, read 43,882 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am looking for a 3BR 2BA+ apartment or townhouse rental in West University Place, Bellaire, or Memorial Villages. I have two small children ages 2 and 4 so safety and a family friendly environment are very important. Does any have any good recommendations or experiences with any rentals in these three areas? Our max budget would be $4000 a month.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 03:39 PM

7,537 posts, read 11,542,647 times
You could rent a 3500sqft home on 1/2 acre lost in just about any area of Houston for that much. If you can afford $4k a month just buy a $250k to $500k totally remodeled home in Meyerland Willow Meadows Willowbend Mapelwood Westbury area all on the southwest side just outside the loop

Old 01-02-2014, 07:06 PM

914 posts, read 1,825,030 times
For West University, look at the Belmont apartments On Bissonnet or the Village at West University on Edloe. These apartment complexes are zoned to West U Elementary and a lot of families live there. If there are any townhouses for rent in 77005, they are likely listed with Greenwood King realtors.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:16 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,976,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
You could rent a 3500sqft home on 1/2 acre lost in just about any area of Houston for that much. If you can afford $4k a month just buy a $250k to $500k totally remodeled home in Meyerland Willow Meadows Willowbend Mapelwood Westbury area all on the southwest side just outside the loop
Meyerland should pay you commission for rec'ing them all the time. It's really funny dude it really is. I always know I'll see Maplewood, Willow Meadows, Meyerland. Without fail.

Everyone loves where they live but you REALLY REALLY love where you live don't you and want everyone to be your neighbor

It's funny but kind of off 80% of the time. If they want West U and with those kids ages their the typical parents who want West U elementary. Your hood won't get them that. With a $4k budget they have a good chunk of change in the bank this wanting the areas they specified and will probably do expensive schools later but want WestU elem now.

OP, plug your budget and what you want into www.har.com and on maps select the areas you want to find what you're looking for.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:11 AM

914 posts, read 1,825,030 times
If you go on the Houston Real estate, Houston homes, Houston Realtors - HAR.com website and plug in lease in 77005, all of the rentals of town homes in West U will pop up. There is currently a very nice listing on Vanderbilt that is a 3 bedroom 2 bath. My friend leases out the townhouse next door. It is a nice complex but it backs up to Holcombe. it is zoned to West U Elementary, Pershing, and Lamar.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:27 AM

90 posts, read 161,288 times
4119 Southwestern, West University, TX 77005 - HAR.com

What about this rental? If you are willing to spend that much money, you're much better off renting a house or town home.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
We actually would ultimately like to buy in either WestU, Bellaire, or Memorial Villages - not sure which one yet which is why we would like to rent for a year to get a sense of the area/city (we will be coming from out of state).

Old 01-03-2014, 08:32 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions! Ideally we would love to rent a home but we don't want to get stuck paying the broker's commissions as renters usually have to pay one month rent in addition to everything else.

Is this not the case in Houston???

I am constantly checking craigslist but not too many good home rentals there. :-(

Old 01-03-2014, 08:57 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,117,708 times
The deposit on a house is usually one months rent but you get it back if you don't wreck the place. And check Har.com for rentals, use the map search.

Assuming your rental budget reflects your buying budget, WestU and the Memorial villages are a bit of a stretch for you. Property taxes here are high. Where will the work location be? That and school zoning are the most important factors. With a work location and your buying budget posters can be more specific to your situation.

It's a great idea to test drive a neighborhood before buying, that's what we did, it worked out great. For that year we looked ALL over the city at different areas but came back to where we are now. I can throw a rock and hit my old rental!

But there's no point in test driving a neighborhood you can't really afford.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
The deposit on a house is usually one months rent but you get it back if you don't wreck the place. And check Har.com for rentals, use the map search.

Assuming your rental budget reflects your buying budget, WestU and the Memorial villages are a bit of a stretch for you. Property taxes here are high. Where will the work location be? That and school zoning are the most important factors. With a work location and your buying budget posters can be more specific to your situation.

It's a great idea to test drive a neighborhood before buying, that's what we did, it worked out great. For that year we looked ALL over the city at different areas but came back to where we are now. I can throw a rock and hit my old rental!

But there's no point in test driving a neighborhood you can't really afford.

Our buying budget will be between $1.5 to $2MM but we want to save up the first year - which is why we are going with a cheaper rental budget. My husband will be working at Methodist Hospital and I have a job where I work from home so my location is flexible.

We want to send our kids to public school so schools are important to us. We were told that Bellaire and WestU have the best schools in terms of closest location to the hospital but then looking at greatschools.org Memorial Villages (zoned to Memorial Middle and Memorial High) seems to be better for higher education but a bit further out distance-wise.

Is the traffic from Memorial Villages to the Medical Center area generally bad during rush hour? I would ideally want a commute of a half hour or less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: