Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 07:37 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
Speaking as a Colorado resident who has spent a great deal amount of time in Houston, i can confirm that Houston is unbearably "humid" hot from the early part of June through October. November and December is as pleasant as it can get in the day but the nights are pretty chilly. Some days in December can get so "bone" cold, you wish for the heat to return. Late part of January and all of February, it's wet and cold. March is rainy and pretty chili. April and May it starts to warm up and you start to feel the humidity factor coming back in the late part of May going in to June.

My point is, I'm from Colorado and we get below zero weather at times, So i know what cold is. I can confirm that Houston does get extremely cold at times and extremely hot in the summer. At least 7 or 8 months out of the year, the weather is pleasant, not too warm, not too cold with an occasional rainshower. I think alot of people on here are overexaggerating the amount of months its humid in Houston. I agree that the humidity is extremely uncomfortable but its only that way 3 or 4 months out of the year.

Alot of cities have their weather drawbacks. NYC, Chicago, Denver, Philladelphia which all get extremely cold in the winter and it lasts for a long time. I personally prefer heat over the cold. It's just i have eczema so my skin doesn't like the heat because it causes me to itch. But point is, no city is perfect. Take a trip down to Houston and see for yourself!
I think we all have a different opinions about the weather here. Some like hot some like cold, it really depends what you like. My mother will be freezing and I'm very comfortable You think Houston has 7-8 months good weather but I think MAYBE 2-3 months. Some people can handle the humidty better than others, me I hate the heat. You are right every place has good and bad weather, I think the best thing is to try to live in a place that comes as close as you can get to what you like be it hot or cold.

Old 11-05-2006, 11:03 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
I agree that the humidity is extremely uncomfortable but its only that way 3 or 4 months out of the year.
Some people feel that any weather that causes them to sweat without being active is too muggy or hot. I believe everyone's entitled to their own opinion so I consider that neither right nor wrong, even though it's totally different than my views.

Houston's annual average daytime high is 79 F and overnight low is 61 F, possible average afteroon humidity in the 60% range. I'm not sure if you've experienced much humidity because you're from Colorado, but what I noticed is that quite a few people will sweat even if they are not hot when it's above 70 F and say 60% humidity or more. So given that, it means many people will be sweating at some point in the day, more than half the year.

I myself have been sticky all over, (before I developed a nerve disorder sensitizing me to cold) when it was 73 F, overcast, almost no wind and a dewpoint around 65 F, which is probably a RH between 60-70%. I was not overheated at all. In fact the stickiness made me feel a little cooler because of "clamminess" than if it was drier.

Old 11-05-2006, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
You are right every place has good and bad weather, I think the best thing is to try to live in a place that comes as close as you can get to what you like be it hot or cold.
Maybe, but in my case that's practically illegal.

Old 11-09-2006, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Maybe, but in my case that's practically illegal.
Okay, disregard my last comment. I can't edit it anymore and perhaps it sounds negative.

But I hope someone will appreciate my post that was just before it. I thought it could give a good example to someone from a desert what it can be like in the East.

Old 11-11-2006, 07:39 PM

87 posts, read 304,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
MOST of the year it is in the same class as Miami. Probably hotter than N.O. And btw, I checked the weather underground, it's 75 degrees in Houston, and 84 in Miami - not 20 degrees difference, more like NINE DEGREES. Like I said, Same class. Here in Dallas, it's a pleasant 59 and will get down to 38 tonight. That's what November weather should be like.
I would have to disagree. Houston and Miami are completely different, especically during the winter. For instance, the average January high in Houston is 62F, while in Miami it is 76F. That is a HUGE differene. Miami in January is like Houston in October. Also, in the last 110 years, Houston has seen nearly 30 snowfalls while Miami has only seen 1. The only time Miami and Houston are similar is during the summer, but even then, Miami is certainly more "tropical" than Houston. The temperatures are usually lower and the humidity higher.

If you want to compare Houston to another area, the best places would probably be Tallahassee (FL), Mobile (AL), Baton Rouge (LA), and Lake Charles (LA).

BTW: I am currently in the middle 40s in northern Houston right now (8:30pm Nov. 11th) and Miami is at 74F. That is a 30F difference.

Old 11-11-2006, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL-NC-AZ-TX View Post
I would have to disagree. Houston and Miami are completely different, especically during the winter. For instance, the average January high in Houston is 62F, while in Miami it is 76F. That is a HUGE differene. Miami in January is like Houston in October. Also, in the last 110 years, Houston has seen nearly 30 snowfalls while Miami has only seen 1. The only time Miami and Houston are similar is during the summer, but even then, Miami is certainly more "tropical" than Houston. The temperatures are usually lower and the humidity higher.

If you want to compare Houston to another area, the best places would probably be Tallahassee (FL), Mobile (AL), Baton Rouge (LA), and Lake Charles (LA).

BTW: I am currently in the middle 40s in northern Houston right now (8:30pm Nov. 11th) and Miami is at 74F. That is a 30F difference.
I'm in southeast Houston 9:10pm and it's 55, I wish it was in the 40's here

Old 11-15-2006, 09:30 AM

485 posts, read 1,455,330 times
I lived in Houston (Clear Lake area) for 30 years before moving away 9 years ago. In the 30 years there were probably only 6 or 7 years where the temperature ever went below 32 deg. We had huge hibiscus growing in the yard that never were killed back because of the lack of a freeze. I would estimate that there were only 1 to 2 months out of the year where you had to use heat. The rest of the time the AC is on except for a possible 1 week respite in "spring" and "fall". Many years we would go directly from AC to heat with no break when a "blue norther" came through. Also probably 75% of the years we were running AC on Christmas day. The interesting thing to me is that after I moved away I noticed that there are long stretches (close to 2 months both spring and fall) where I do not have to run either heat or AC. Sure does save on the utility bill!!
As far as the heat and humidity, let's just say that I found it unbearable. It was one of the main reasons I moved away. The person who says that it is only bad 3 or 4 months of the year is kidding himself -- Please note the Christmas day AC usage above!! Generally AC is turned on in early April and run continuously through December. This is because of the high humidity as much as the temperature. The only possibly pleasant weather is in March and that only lasts a couple of weeks!!

Old 11-15-2006, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marysally View Post
I lived in Houston (Clear Lake area) for 30 years before moving away 9 years ago. In the 30 years there were probably only 6 or 7 years where the temperature ever went below 32 deg. We had huge hibiscus growing in the yard that never were killed back because of the lack of a freeze. I would estimate that there were only 1 to 2 months out of the year where you had to use heat. The rest of the time the AC is on except for a possible 1 week respite in "spring" and "fall". Many years we would go directly from AC to heat with no break when a "blue norther" came through. Also probably 75% of the years we were running AC on Christmas day. The interesting thing to me is that after I moved away I noticed that there are long stretches (close to 2 months both spring and fall) where I do not have to run either heat or AC. Sure does save on the utility bill!!
As far as the heat and humidity, let's just say that I found it unbearable. It was one of the main reasons I moved away. The person who says that it is only bad 3 or 4 months of the year is kidding himself -- Please note the Christmas day AC usage above!! Generally AC is turned on in early April and run continuously through December. This is because of the high humidity as much as the temperature. The only possibly pleasant weather is in March and that only lasts a couple of weeks!!
You are so correct!!!!

Old 11-15-2006, 12:02 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,668,971 times
Default Thread Closed

This thread is now closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: