Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2013, 10:36 AM

16 posts, read 21,569 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I've been browsing through a ton of threads lately and thought I'd ask for some recommendations for my situation.

I'm moving to Houston in Feb/March 2014 from the NJ/NY area and am looking for areas that would be safe for a single 29yo. I'll be working from home so a daily commute isn't an issue - I'll be visiting the Memorial area at least once a month, will travel from the airport 3x a year, and do some out of town traveling as well (a longer trip 3x a year and to Austin monthly). Hoping for a 2br or a 1br with a den/study/loft area under $1000, and doesn't necessarily have to be an apartment (I've been looking at condos and townhomes for rent too, but not houses since I don't want to deal with lawn maintenance).

A few people have told me to just stay on the Westside, but I'm open to suggestions of other areas. My budget obviously isn't for the downtown area and that's fine with me. I just don't want to go far out into the suburbs since I'd like to be able to meet people and have some sort of social life too. I'm mostly a homebody but would love the option of heading out to bars or events every now and then.

*Also not sure if this is a strange question, but do most complexes have package receiving? My job would have me receiving at least one large delivery per week. I know it's a problem in some apartment buildings here in NJ.

Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 12:10 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
If you can afford 1100 a month, I highly suggest Hudson Oaks. It's in the Memorial Village, tucked within million dollar plus homes/neighborhoods, manned gate, parking right outside your door. Great and super safe area if you like running/walking/biking. Close to CityCentre, yet not to far from Uptown.

Many have private patios between your parking spot and backdoor.UPS could leave packages there.

Ie http://search.har.com/engine/11711-M...AR15273540.htm

Old 12-27-2013, 02:31 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,695,017 times
Camden Greenway. Still inside the loop and about your price range. Nice surrounding area.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:00 PM

118 posts, read 340,203 times
There are many apatments in that price range on the West side of Houston. check ApartmentIcons.com

Old 12-27-2013, 06:38 PM

Thanks all!

JustCinco - are there any particular areas I should stay away from or is it all the same no matter what and just depends on being alert and the likes?

Old 12-27-2013, 07:04 PM

705 posts, read 1,259,876 times
If I was a single female, I would look for an apt or townhouse that has the garage attached to the home so I could pull in and close that door behind me before getting out of my car. Crime in Houston happens in all parts of town and it seems the criminals pick their victims by chance and not necessarily by area. You have to be very especially diligent when you are driving home.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:56 PM

118 posts, read 340,203 times
FarewellNJ - Some areas are better than others, if you look more to the West side and into Katy you can find something nice and convenient to your needs.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:59 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,695,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiovo View Post
If I was a single female, I would look for an apt or townhouse that has the garage attached to the home so I could pull in and close that door behind me before getting out of my car. Crime in Houston happens in all parts of town and it seems the criminals pick their victims by chance and not necessarily by area. You have to be very especially diligent when you are driving home.
You make it sound like Houston is one big hood. It is pretty safe in general. Use your common sense and you will be fine. She can't afford a townhouse. Apartments with garages are not usually good ones. Live in a good location. You will regret living far out.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:27 PM

705 posts, read 1,259,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
You make it sound like Houston is one big hood. It is pretty safe in general. Use your common sense and you will be fine. She can't afford a townhouse. Apartments with garages are not usually good ones. Live in a good location. You will regret living far out.
Houston is one big area. Everyone either has a car or knows someone with a car. The random crimes that happen are from criminals that most likely do not even live in same vicinity.

The Elridge/ Energy Corridor area has a lot of apartments and town homes in your price range. There's tons of restaurants and you're right by I10 for quick access into the city.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:09 PM

This is great info, guys, thanks. I'm usually careful and vigilant when it comes to wandering about, and from what I've been gathering, Houston seems to maybe have a similar feel to manhattan in terms of crime - could happen anywhere, won't always, and be careful.

I hadn't checked anything out in Eldridge so I'll search there too. As much as I'd love a townhouse, don't think it's in the cards just yet. Near future, maybe!

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston