Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 12:45 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,983,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Because no one ever uses the public transportation in these cities? I've lived in Houston without a car and have spent entire weekends in Dallas without a car. People truly exaggerate just how difficult it is.

And it's only getting easier. Both Houston and Dallas are densifying, as well as expanding their local transit options. I don't see the harm in implementing this measure now, instead of waiting until the moment it is almost needed.

For the first few years it exists, I'm sure the coolness factor alone will be persuading people to ride it.
There is significant areas METRO does not serve in Houston. There is also the time factor. Most people are not ok it will take them 2 hours to go between point A to point B. I don't think most city in USA can be public transportation friendly just due to the nature it was developed over many years. Look at LA, they can try and try, but public transportation is still non-existent. With the exception of couple heavily dense city in East and SF and Chicago, public transportation is not a viable option.

Just curious, how many people here have ride the Metro Bus?

I also don't agree with you Houston is densifying. I see it is actually expanding further and further away. I see the new Exxon development, I see all the outer suburbs being heavily developed. It doesn't look like Houston will be more higher density at all, more like the exact opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 01:03 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
There is significant areas METRO does not serve in Houston. There is also the time factor. Most people are not ok it will take them 2 hours to go between point A to point B. I don't think most city in USA can be public transportation friendly just due to the nature it was developed over many years. Look at LA, they can try and try, but public transportation is still non-existent. With the exception of couple heavily dense city in East and SF and Chicago, public transportation is not a viable option.

Just curious, how many people here have ride the Metro Bus?

I also don't agree with you Houston is densifying. I see it is actually expanding further and further away. I see the new Exxon development, I see all the outer suburbs being heavily developed. It doesn't look like Houston will be more higher density at all, more like the exact opposite.
I guess you're not spending much time in the core, then. I'm not saying that city isn't still sprawling (every city is), but there's also plenty of infill going on.

Again, the difficulty of getting around without a car in Houston and Dallas is exaggerated. I did it and plenty of people are doing it now. Most are just lazy and impatient. Now, if you're talking about navigating the suburbs, that's a different ballgame that I have little experience with. I'm talking about the city.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:47 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,769,968 times
I get what you are saying here but you are somewhat incorrect. Sure it is easy to get around without a car, you are correct. However, I spent many years in the core and there were buses two blocks away, but with kids, work, sports, clubs etc... The bus is not only unrealistic but I would be in no way exaggerating if I said that it would be difficult to perform my daily routine without a vehicle.

I am simply disagreeing that most are lazy and impatient. Some of us have kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I guess you're not spending much time in the core, then. I'm not saying that city isn't still sprawling (every city is), but there's also plenty of infill going on.

Again, the difficulty of getting around without a car in Houston and Dallas is exaggerated. I did it and plenty of people are doing it now. Most are just lazy and impatient. Now, if you're talking about navigating the suburbs, that's a different ballgame that I have little experience with. I'm talking about the city.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
I get what you are saying here but you are somewhat incorrect. Sure it is easy to get around without a car, you are correct. However, I spent many years in the core and there were buses two blocks away, but with kids, work, sports, clubs etc... The bus is not only unrealistic but I would be in no way exaggerating if I said that it would be difficult to perform my daily routine without a vehicle.

I am simply disagreeing that most are lazy and impatient. Some of us have kids.
You're assuming I don't have kids.

Either way, I understand your situation, but a lot of the people I hear complain about the transportation are childless or do not live with their children.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:51 PM

238 posts, read 696,328 times
I was without a car for 3 weeks when my insurance totaled it after an accident. I was able to get around using buses, asking friends for rides, riding my bike, etc. BUT, here are 2 qualifying factors:

1. I lived inside the loop and literally 1 block from a bus stop.
2. I was single with no kids.

Now that I'm married with kids and living in the burbs, I can't see how I could swing it without a car. If I were to, heaven forbid, get in another accident and total my car, I will need to get a temporary rental to tide me over till I buy a new car.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:52 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,388,075 times
People in Texas are used to taking cars everywhere because it is easy and a habit.

I walked/ used transit around Calgary even in the winter to shop, eat out, and exercise. I just got used to it and then we moved back to the Houston area.

I lived in Seven meadows and walked with a toddler to the grocery store and shops in Katy when the weather was nice.

Then we moved into town due to a long commute.

I actually walk less now that I live in Houston, because I have gotten used to the convenience of using a car again. I could walk to the grocery store, but I don't.

I think people choose to use their cars more here due to the convenience of driving. If that becomes more inconvenient, more people will walk and use transit like commuter trains.

It is just a matter of time before the 4+ hour drive to DFW turns into a 6+ hour drive. They will either spend the money expanding highways or putting in a train .

Old 01-10-2014, 07:53 AM

785 posts, read 1,234,534 times
Just saw this story featured on the news today on Fox 26, and they said that the estimated cost was $10 Billion while tickets were expected to be 70% of what an airplane ticket would cost.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:00 AM

1,473 posts, read 2,150,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
People in Texas are used to taking cars everywhere because it is easy and a habit.

I walked/ used transit around Calgary even in the winter to shop, eat out, and exercise. I just got used to it and then we moved back to the Houston area.

I lived in Seven meadows and walked with a toddler to the grocery store and shops in Katy when the weather was nice.

Then we moved into town due to a long commute.

I actually walk less now that I live in Houston, because I have gotten used to the convenience of using a car again. I could walk to the grocery store, but I don't.

I think people choose to use their cars more here due to the convenience of driving. If that becomes more inconvenient, more people will walk and use transit like commuter trains.

It is just a matter of time before the 4+ hour drive to DFW turns into a 6+ hour drive. They will either spend the money expanding highways or putting in a train .
This is what many people understand, the price of gas will not go down at some point drving will become a nessasity used only to get to work and places you have to be.... Woe to the ctiies that are not factoring that into their planning

Old 01-10-2014, 08:00 AM

238 posts, read 696,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crono_clone View Post
Just saw this story featured on the news today on Fox 26, and they said that the estimated cost was $10 Billion while tickets were expected to be 70% of what an airplane ticket would cost.
According to current airfare, which is $218, the train fare would be about $152 and change. Plus would need to pay for parking, and then a rental at the destination. Not sure I spend that much on gas on a round trip. But gas could skyrocket in 10 years, making this look like a deal.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekbiker View Post
According to current airfare, which is $218, the train fare would be about $152 and change. Plus would need to pay for parking, and then a rental at the destination. Not sure I spend that much on gas on a round trip. But gas could skyrocket in 10 years, making this look like a deal.
Pay for parking or...have a friend or taxi drop you off at the station or nearest bus stop
Get a rental or...rely on a taxi or public transportation while you're there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston