Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 09:20 AM

564 posts, read 2,045,553 times

Advertisements

Also note that Houston, as a municipality, is served by several school districts, although HISD is, by far, the largest (for example, there's also Clear Creek ISD, Alief ISD, etc, etc).

Old 11-30-2007, 09:32 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Mack View Post
One of my top complaints about living in Houston... I'd like to see road kill cleaned a little quicker.

I think it's like the "exploding whales" theory... if you move those dogs (most which are as big as small humans), they will probably create more of a mess than if you just let them sit there and return to the earth.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:23 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific_trader View Post
It isn't ugly, just a little boring.
Probably because you have done everything Houston has to offer. This happens in every city in America. I have family in Miami and you would think that going to the beach would be neverending fun. You'd think you would take the opportunity to go to the beach anytime you possibly could. Well, my family did that and everytime they find themselves back on the beach, they are bored and they find the beach boring. It's just perspective.

Old 12-01-2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I have family in Miami and you would think that going to the beach would be neverending fun.

Yeah, I would with all that tail on those beaches!

Old 12-01-2007, 12:33 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Houston isn't romantic, I dont know any place here to shoot a romantic scene. Pretty professional women or younger moms or students or kids enjoying the walk is uber rare, they drive or hidding from the sun or somewhere else maybe. lots of fatties, the sun beating on these is an ugly scene. lots of space for rent signs, old vacated buildings, bum concentration. frustrated bus patrons waiting on a boring corner (just a whitewall) is just a pathetic sight. I think any city will look ugly if the street level has less fit/well dressed people. Times square, NY is fugly at 3AM
The "fatties" are not any more populous here than in many other cities. Houston is one of the skinniest cities in the nation.

And Houstonians can indeed dress very well, they just choose not to overdo it all the time. Please believe that I know women who can put an outfit together better than many of those broads prancing around SoHo and what not.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:15 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandy View Post
It has grown on me a little more in my time here. But this is where I came from:
why would you leave a place like that?

Old 12-01-2007, 04:52 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
Romantic places in Houston?

I think the top of the 610 ship channel bridge is just as romantic as you can get...James Cameron had Leo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet groping each other on a big ugly ship and as a result none of them have to worry about where their next meal is coming from. That said, I'm sure a steamy love scene with the port and the refineries in the background has the makings of a 2008 summer blockbuster.

It's overdue, even if it's a gooey chick flick. Houston hasn't had even a somewhat-major movie filmed in it since, what, Reality Bites? Or was it Sidekicks? I guess when Chuck Norris farted on the set and blew out all the windows in the city it was time for Hollywood to leave us alone...save for the fake Houston in Independence Day that got nuked by the US Government. It's nice to know the first thing in "Houston" that we see in that movie is a freeway. LA gets a bunch of people congregating on top of the Library Tower but apparently Houston's landmark is a frickin' freeway. We love you too, Hollywood.

Part of Terms of Endearment was filmed on the Texas City D*ike (nazi CD auto-censors can rot) and it's got the ever-romantic refineries in the background. It has never been proven that benzene fumes are an aphrodesiac, but to paraphrase Carl Sagan, lack of proof does not equal disproof. It's romantic enough to be the resting place for the virginity and the site of conception of roughly 1/4 of Galveston County's population, so there.

God bless this 600-square-mile concrete pizza we live upon and its flat, featureless surroundings - and please adapt your definitions of "beautiful" and "romantic" to its limitations. Thank you, and Merry Christmahannukwanzikah to y'all.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:11 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post

It's overdue, even if it's a gooey chick flick. Houston hasn't had even a somewhat-major movie filmed in it since, what, Reality Bites? Or was it Sidekicks? I guess when Chuck Norris farted on the set and blew out all the windows in the city it was time for Hollywood to leave us alone...save for the fake Houston in Independence Day that got nuked by the US Government. It's nice to know the first thing in "Houston" that we see in that movie is a freeway. LA gets a bunch of people congregating on top of the Library Tower but apparently Houston's landmark is a frickin' freeway. We love you too, Hollywood.
Lol, actually, there have been a whole lot of movies shot in Houston, but the storylines just don't take place here.

Old 12-01-2007, 11:01 PM

35 posts, read 119,097 times
The Majority Of My Family Live In Houston. I Live In Portland Oregon Along With Parents,sisters,cousins And Uncles. It Is Beautiful Here, But I Will Tell Ya...i Been Almost All Over And Every Major City On West Coast And Houston Has The Best Lookin Women And Food!!!

Old 12-01-2007, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclark3434 View Post
The Majority Of My Family Live In Houston. I Live In Portland Oregon Along With Parents,sisters,cousins And Uncles. It Is Beautiful Here, But I Will Tell Ya...i Been Almost All Over And Every Major City On West Coast And Houston Has The Best Lookin Women And Food!!!

Women come and go, but you can drive past Tillamook and then outward to the parks there for some of the best scenic rainforest-ocean-beaches in the country!

Portland also has some of the best beer in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston