Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 08:45 PM

50,298 posts, read 47,056,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbink View Post
I didn't miss the point, that's what you should have said, not that cyclists pay more than the average tax payer, which is what you actually said, thereby implying that cyclists are superior to the average tax payer. Then you went on to state that their bikes probably cost more than a car. Once again implying superiority.

I have no issue with people wanting to cycle. I think it's healthy and I used to commute by bike for years but it's no longer realistic for me.

I agree with Trekbiker's posts who obviously rides given their user name and posts, and who appears to have a balanced understanding that drivers need to be more aware, but also that cyclists need to follow the rules too.
If someone can afford a thousand dollar plus bike I'm going to guess they are probably paying an above average amount in taxes. Cyclists are not superior to anyone, they are EQUAL. Looking at these replies it appears most think they aren't. Maybe not even American.
Quote:
It means it's a shared lane with cyclists.
It's also to indicate the best lane position for the bike to take.
Thank you, you are the first one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
I don't recall anything about bicycles on my DMV test.
Obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nervouslaughter View Post
A lot of their bikes cost more than you car? Um, yeah, i don't think so. Not for amateurs, which make up a large majority of the lane hogs out there. I'm all for cycling (my sister gets paid for cycling and her boyfriend is a cycling coach) but let's call a spade a spade. Cyclists have their own rules and only cry foul when it comes to their rights being infringed. On the other hand, they will blaze through a stop sign or red light like Armstrong and a needle.
I said a lot, where did you read most.
There are rude drivers just as much as rude cyclists. The difference is a rider won't win a collision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 04:00 AM

536 posts, read 1,063,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Well to be fair, we don't have them in Houston to the best of my knowledge so a lot of people have probably never seen them before.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:18 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,809,398 times
Quote:
Well to be fair, we don't have them in Houston to the best of my knowledge so a lot of people have probably never seen them before.
Houston is in a lot of trouble if folks can't figure out that a picture of a bike means it's a bike lane.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:48 AM

536 posts, read 1,063,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
Houston is in a lot of trouble if folks can't figure out that a picture of a bike means it's a bike lane.
True, I was really referring to the Chevrons which are a little less obvious, I would hope the bike part was obvious!

Old 01-09-2014, 06:26 AM

366 posts, read 797,379 times
Quote:
If someone can afford a thousand dollar plus bike I'm going to guess they are probably paying an above average amount in taxes. Cyclists are not superior to anyone, they are EQUAL. Looking at these replies it appears most think they aren't. Maybe not even American.

Obviously.

I said a lot, where did you read most.
There are rude drivers just as much as rude cyclists. The difference is a rider won't win a collision.
Never referred to "most", so I'm not sure what you're talking about (although you did use that word if you read your own sentence back.) Anyway, just because the rider doesn't win a collision doesn't mean he won't cause a collision that could hurt someone else. That mentality is why I can't stand egocentric cyclists.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:31 AM

670 posts, read 1,442,249 times
Quote:
If someone can afford a thousand dollar plus bike I'm going to guess they are probably paying an above average amount in taxes.
Kind of like if someone can afford a $1000 tv then they are probably paying an above amount in taxes? What a dumb statement. You sir are a douche and the stereotypical cyclist elitist jerk.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:48 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,809,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texsn95 View Post
Kind of like if someone can afford a $1000 tv then they are probably paying an above amount in taxes? What a dumb statement. You sir are a douche and the stereotypical cyclist elitist jerk.
Stereotypical cyclist elitist? That's a new one.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:03 AM

Yes sir, there's a stereotype out there (well deserved in some cases) that many cyclists posses the same elitist attitude this clown does. Similar to hybrid drivers.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:15 AM

Old 01-09-2014, 08:34 AM

Interesting read

Arrogant, abusive and oh-so smug - why do so many cyclists think they're above the law? | Mail Online
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston