U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 10:45 AM

116 posts, read 180,345 times

Advertisements

Slightly bigger than the entire state of New Jersey. Slightly smaller than the entire state of Massachusetts. And still growing by leaps and bounds. I've lived here all my life, and never knew just how geographically big we are. There needs to be a permanent sticky at the top of the Houston Forum that reads "Houston is not walkable, hasn't been since the 1800's, and likely never will be again, save for a (VERY) few expensive, close-in neighborhoods".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 11:11 AM

15,972 posts, read 21,945,325 times
Houston should be split into several different cities for people to get better government representation

Old 01-08-2014, 11:24 AM

785 posts, read 1,130,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Houston should be split into several different cities for people to get better government representation
I've thought about that myself. I know that COH used annexation as tactic to keep their tax base stable when everyone was fleeing the urban core for the suburbs, but now that the core is growing again, maybe it's time to cut the cord.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:54 PM

6,721 posts, read 7,415,041 times
People who move here have no idea how big of an area it is and try to live far away from their work. Then they gripe about the traffic. I think...don't live in the Woodlands if you work in the energy corridor.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:26 PM

433 posts, read 598,701 times
They don't realize they're the reason traffic is so bad. It was not like this in the 90s before huge numbers of people started coming

Old 01-08-2014, 01:27 PM

2,906 posts, read 4,809,114 times
Houston takes up 600 sq miles out of the entire 10,000. Why are people talking on here like Houston is the entire area with no separate governments? There's Pearland, Galveston, League City, The Woodlands, Dicksonson, Katy, Sugarland, and etc. But i do agree that the city of Houston would have better order to it if the city limits weren't so gigantic.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:32 PM

19,780 posts, read 29,872,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sketteroo View Post
Slightly bigger than the entire state of New Jersey. Slightly smaller than the entire state of Massachusetts. And still growing by leaps and bounds. I've lived here all my life, and never knew just how geographically big we are. There needs to be a permanent sticky at the top of the Houston Forum that reads "Houston is not walkable, hasn't been since the 1800's, and likely never will be again, save for a (VERY) few expensive, close-in neighborhoods".
If you're trying to equate Houston and it's walkable issue to the entire metro, then you have to understand that no metro is walkable than. All of greater Washington isn't walkable. All of Chicagoland isn't walkable. Heck, all of Tri-State isn't walkable. I have to believe that Houston was walkable before the automobile era began.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:44 PM

9,053 posts, read 15,871,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
If you're trying to equate Houston and it's walkable issue to the entire metro, then you have to understand that no metro is walkable than. All of greater Washington isn't walkable. All of Chicagoland isn't walkable. Heck, all of Tri-State isn't walkable. I have to believe that Houston was walkable before the automobile era began.
Houston's population before the automotive industry was under 20,000 - I am sure it was walkable or horse & buggyable (new word).

Old 01-08-2014, 03:17 PM

860 posts, read 1,420,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Houston's population before the automotive industry was under 20,000 - I am sure it was walkable or horse & buggyable (new word).
And local historians will tell you that Houston had streetcars, too. My grandparents lived in the Heights during the First World War and the streetcar line ended quite a few blocks from their home. When they and their neighbors reached the last stop, everyone got off and walked.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:52 PM

34,648 posts, read 18,977,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensk08 View Post
And local historians will tell you that Houston had streetcars, too. My grandparents lived in the Heights during the First World War and the streetcar line ended quite a few blocks from their home. When they and their neighbors reached the last stop, everyone got off and walked.
I hope there was a McDonald's and Krispy Kreme between the end-of-the-line and their house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston