Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 07:21 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonfan View Post
Yeah, he's saying that Toronto is a dense city and everyone lives on one side of downtown, not on the south where the lake is. Hence, there are only a few freeways to get to downtown and everyone is on those, it's like a FUNNEL. Houston is like a wheel with spokes from all directions, that helps with traffic.
No doubt that a lot of people use Toronto's busiest freeways to get DT connecting to other freeways and roads into it- but the busiest freeway in Toronto doesn't even cross through the DT core and is a good 7 miles north of it. It is busy because Toronto is a dense and busy city all over its urbanized area not just DT. North York and Scarborough each have a population almost as great as the old city of Toronto where the DT core is and it is those two boroughs if you will that the 401 crosses.

The two freeways that hit the DT core - the Gardner Expressway and Don Valley Parkway aren't the busiest freeways in the city because the best way to get in and out of the DT core is via mass rapid transit. Don't get me wrong they are still busy and hellish to drive on in rush hour traffic.

Last edited by fusion2; 01-16-2014 at 07:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 07:27 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,695,537 times
There is no way we are that high. There are other US cities that are worse than Houston. SF, Boston, DC, Austin. I don't even think Houston is in the top 10 in the US anymore.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:40 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
We have hit a whole new level of suckage this week.

I've been doing a lot of drive time hours between the loop and Beltway this week, and it's the worst I have ever seen it in my lifetime. The congestion from commuters leaving the city makes it an hour drive to go 10 miles from downtown. And it isn't raining. Drivers are rude, on their phones,texting, refusing to let people in or off the freeways...

Honestly, like many of my fellow natives, i'm on the countdown out of this place.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:52 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,695,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post

I've been doing a lot of drive time hours between the loop and Beltway this week, and it's the worst I have ever seen it in my lifetime. The congestion from commuters leaving the city makes it an hour drive to go 10 miles from downtown. And it isn't raining. Drivers are rude, on their phones,texting, refusing to let people in or off the freeways...

Honestly, like many of my fellow natives, i'm on the countdown out of this place.
That is pretty much every big city. Though I must admit I have thought about moving. Not that I don't love Houston. There are few places I would consider moving. Denver is at the top of my list.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:55 PM

Oh, I love Houston, but the problem is that it's too quickly becoming "Not Houston."
I'm already already half way out.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:42 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,939,687 times
I remember truly hellish freeway traffic from my childhood back in the 1970s. The current situation doesn't strike me as any "less Houston" regarding traffic. Now, the style of development and the increase in density in the core of the city, yeah that's different; when I was younger everyone was running to the outer suburbs as fast as possible, now there's a segment of the population that actually wants to live close in (this is what helps to drive the increased density).

I'm curious as to exactly what is so different now about Houston that other native Houstonians want to leave.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:53 AM

785 posts, read 1,234,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post

Do you live outside the beltway, or inside the loop?

It's true that the amount of people moving here has just been staggering. For me, my solution has been to move closer in to the city and avoid the freeways as much as possible, especially during rush hour traffic. And I'm not alone; a lot of people have been doing the same.

So yeah, you should probably move. As close in as possible.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:15 AM

Why do I want to move into the core when my office and home are in Memorial?? I've never been an ITL fan, except to grab a meal at the latest "It " spot before it closes.

No thanks. I love where i live and work. I've just been going back and forth a lot this week between Galleria 610 and 8. I just notice that all major routes are completely clogged, almost like the west side gained 200,000 since Thanksgiving. Normally I just go down Memorial to save the stress, but seems like everyone is starting to do that as well.

And yes, the personality of Houston drivers has gone from, driving fast and courteous, to driving fast, stupid, and with a hell with you and your life attitude, Me first and don't interupt my text. Strangers outside of their cars aren't often much better. It's just not very "nice" everywhere anymore. There are spots, but yeah...

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 01-17-2014 at 08:26 AM..

Old 01-17-2014, 08:43 AM

785 posts, read 1,234,675 times
No, not trying to get you inside the loop; I had assumed you were a commuter because of your earlier post. It's great you already live close to where you work, and that's what I mean when I said people should move closer in.

And meh, I'm just waiting for driverless, flying cars and teleporters. No sense wasting energy or emotions on what other drivers are doing. Driving has always been a big waste of time to me, can't wait til we get rid of it completely.

Last edited by crono_clone; 01-17-2014 at 09:16 AM..

Old 01-17-2014, 09:06 AM

6 posts, read 8,505 times
I have traveled to both Toronto and Montreal many times and can say that Houston's congestion isn't worse than Montreal's. Montreal is riddled with construction at almost every major artery. And, "rush" hour is anything but.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: