Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 08:50 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,770,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmotx View Post
My rent is due on the 1st of each month according to my lease application. I have a grace period thru the 5th day of the month. The initial late fee of $50.00 is charged on the 6th day of the month and $10.00 per day after the 6th day. I paid my rent in full on the 6th day and did not include the $50.00 late fee. My landlord is deducting late fee from my rent and stating I am late on rent and will be charged daily until fees are paid. Is this legal?
Yes, it's legal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 11:52 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,444,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorful Aries View Post
So the movie "Pacific Heights" COULD really happen!
I have never seen the movie. You guys would be in disbelief on how many threads are started by landlord’s horror stories trying to evict a tenant if you searched the CA forum.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:37 PM

292 posts, read 1,066,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmotx View Post
My rent is due on the 1st of each month according to my lease application. I have a grace period thru the 5th day of the month. The initial late fee of $50.00 is charged on the 6th day of the month and $10.00 per day after the 6th day. I paid my rent in full on the 6th day and did not include the $50.00 late fee. My landlord is deducting late fee from my rent and stating I am late on rent and will be charged daily until fees are paid. Is this legal?
It's Legal. I work in an apartment community, had you brought me the payment on the 6th without including your late fees I would have handed it back to you and asked for you to remit the payment with the late fees included in the form of a cashiers check or money order.

Usually rent is due the 1st-3rd (where I am), considered late on the 4th with a $75 late fee then $10 a day there after until all fees are paid in full as we do not take partial payments for any reason. Should a check be returned by your bank for any reason there is a NSF fee plus any additional late fees that must be paid in the form of a cashier check or money order only.

if you're on a TAA lease it should all be in writing on the first page of the lease.

One thing that everyone that leases on a TAA lease where your sign your lease electronically via an E signature: PLEASE READ THE LEASE as it has VERY important information BEFORE you type in your name. Once you check that you acknowledge and hit send it is a binding legal document.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
I have never seen the movie. You guys would be in disbelief on how many threads are started by landlord’s horror stories trying to evict a tenant if you searched the CA forum.
You should watch it. I am still amazed at what all he did in that house. Good movie too.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:41 AM

552 posts, read 834,425 times
If you're having to wait to pay your rent last minute like that, probably time to rethink if you can actually afford the place you live in.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoma11 View Post
If you're having to wait to pay your rent last minute like that, probably time to rethink if you can actually afford the place you live in.
Not sure why you would think they would need to reconsider where they live.

Stuff happens sometimes that may keep someone from paying on time. Does not mean they can not afford it.
Sometimes people forget, sometimes they may have pay periods that fall oddly, could have car problems or medical emergency..stuff happens. That is why they have a slight grace period at most places along with having late fees.

Old 01-13-2016, 04:57 PM

1 posts, read 511 times
That's why i saved my money to buy me a house. No more landlord late fees. If i am late on my house note i have a one time late fee payment of 45.00. I am not in the process of making some else rich... You don't know what might happen in your life to cause you to be late on your rent. Stuff happens in life but the landlords today don't care at all... In two years my home will be mine..
No more landlords hassle late fees.... If i was a landlord best believe no late fees just as long as you pay rent before the month ends....

Old 01-13-2016, 05:14 PM

225 posts, read 519,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinafay1234 View Post
That's why i saved my money to buy me a house. No more landlord late fees. If i am late on my house note i have a one time late fee payment of 45.00. I am not in the process of making some else rich... You don't know what might happen in your life to cause you to be late on your rent. Stuff happens in life but the landlords today don't care at all... In two years my home will be mine..
No more landlords hassle late fees.... If i was a landlord best believe no late fees just as long as you pay rent before the month ends....

Old 01-13-2016, 06:08 PM

270 posts, read 405,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB001 View Post

Stuff happens sometimes that may keep someone from paying on time. Does not mean they can not afford it.
Sometimes people forget, sometimes they may have pay periods that fall oddly, could have car problems or medical emergency..stuff happens. That is why they have a slight grace period at most places along with having late fees.
The "stuff happens" onetime happened to me in reverse. My duplex landlord was in a panic one afternoon, she had accidentally paid her mortgage twice through "user error" of an electronic payment system. I floated her $4000 bucks for three days while she unwound it since we banked at he same credit union and it was a fast transfer.

It was pretty funny, but weird things happen and not everyone keeps big sums of liquid cash that is instantly available, usually takes a few days.

Old 01-13-2016, 06:48 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,190,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero100 View Post
The "stuff happens" onetime happened to me in reverse. My duplex landlord was in a panic one afternoon, she had accidentally paid her mortgage twice through "user error" of an electronic payment system. I floated her $4000 bucks for three days while she unwound it since we banked at he same credit union and it was a fast transfer.

It was pretty funny, but weird things happen and not everyone keeps big sums of liquid cash that is instantly available, usually takes a few days.
That was very nice of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: