Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 10:16 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Looking at a crime map of Houston, CrimeHouston | Crime Map , there sure does seem to be a correlation between scary looking areas and crime. For example, if you look at the inner-loop north of 10, there is a significantly higher number of crimes east of 45 in the "scarier" looking areas than west of 45 in the Heights and the less "scary" area.
I find this to be more the case for Houston, and it's also a very good basis for a lot of the socio-political culture here. Since we have more options here as a city with car culture, the "nice" areas are more spread out and as a result location becomes less important.

The area I lived in Boston (02130), Jamaica Plain has some areas that LOOK relatively scary, but they're just old urban, art student, transient areas -- bohemian, if you will -- people who are simply looking for cheap rent in an expensive city. Since Houston is relatively inexpensive, people can afford a nicer place, and that's why people move here -- we have an indoor culture. The house is your temple. It's sort of how in NYC, someone might take a really disgusting apartment downtown for the location and be there literally only to sleep rather than a nicer place uptown that's cheaper. Not to mention the city seems to be full of interior designers -- I've seen some impressive spaces in not so great locales. A lot more difficult to judge a book by its cover.

Also, remember that the TYPE of crimes that are very important. Granted no one would want to be a victim of any crime, but I think most of us would choose our life over our iPhone.

Last edited by theSUBlime; 01-14-2014 at 10:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 10:28 PM

433 posts, read 660,654 times
Its funny because the residents of these areas that people on here are so scared of say the same thing about neighborhoods sort of close by. For example, on the other side of 45 acrossfrom the heights around calvacade and Patton. Residents don't consider it bad but will warn you about jensen near 59

Old 01-15-2014, 10:40 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
I find this to be more the case for Houston, and it's also a very good basis for a lot of the socio-political culture here. Since we have more options here as a city with car culture, the "nice" areas are more spread out and as a result location becomes less important.

The area I lived in Boston (02130), Jamaica Plain has some areas that LOOK relatively scary, but they're just old urban, art student, transient areas -- bohemian, if you will -- people who are simply looking for cheap rent in an expensive city. Since Houston is relatively inexpensive, people can afford a nicer place, and that's why people move here -- we have an indoor culture. The house is your temple. It's sort of how in NYC, someone might take a really disgusting apartment downtown for the location and be there literally only to sleep rather than a nicer place uptown that's cheaper. Not to mention the city seems to be full of interior designers -- I've seen some impressive spaces in not so great locales. A lot more difficult to judge a book by its cover.

Also, remember that the TYPE of crimes that are very important. Granted no one would want to be a victim of any crime, but I think most of us would choose our life over our iPhone.
I don't disagree, but I don't think it's as cut and dry as Pedro was making it seem. It'll become even less true as people continue to move intown and gentrify some of these areas that currently look more run down.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:46 AM

3 posts, read 2,962 times
I currently live in Houston and can't say enough about how safe I find it. Mind you, I did live in the south side of Chicago for 3 years, so anything would be considerably safer. But that being said, Houston is a lovely place. It has its rough patches like any city, but I wouldn't consider it dangerous.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:01 AM

7,542 posts, read 11,574,791 times
Houston in not even in the top 5 most dangerous. Detroit is the most dangerous it takes the police about 45 min to respond to a call since the city is so broke

Old 01-15-2014, 12:57 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,583 times
yup, (my) Alief is nothing, coming from Newark NJ and Queens, NYC. I'm the scary one here

Old 01-15-2014, 01:16 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
I think a lot of the opinions depend upon whose eyes the opinion is coming from. I'm a native houstonian and crime has had a big spike and become more random and more violent starting in about 2008. It is not the same houston and I don't feel as safe and carefree about where I go as I did a few years ago. So the decline in that sense saddens me. For me, I see the change and it's there. For others who haven't seen the evolution, they may see it totally different and the same thing for those comparing it to other cities they've lived in that may hAve already had a higher crime rate.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:23 PM

433 posts, read 660,654 times
A lot of the rougher areas don't even look real bad. That's why I wonder where people move from if they think theyre scary looking. Also I doubt these people are even exploring these ghetto areas so how would they know how dangerous Houston is? From watching the news in the woodlands?

Old 01-15-2014, 01:37 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,761,226 times
You can spin it however you like, but the fact remains Houston have a high crime rate. It is what it is.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:22 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo45 View Post
A lot of the rougher areas don't even look real bad. That's why I wonder where people move from if they think theyre scary looking. Also I doubt these people are even exploring these ghetto areas so how would they know how dangerous Houston is? From watching the news in the woodlands?
Maybe because the crime is not confined to the ghetto areas. Just sort of rAndom and sporadic. Maybe some people define scary looking as old, run-down or low income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston