Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2014, 09:32 AM

28 posts, read 39,564 times

Advertisements

I purchased a home in Timbergrove in April 2013. When at closing the paperwork showed the home had already had a homestead exemption on it. Everyone has assured me that the exemption last for the entirety of the year. I received notice from my bank that my escrow amount for 2014 was going to jump significantly due to new projections. I look and see that in December my escrow account was billed the full taxable amount on my home without the exemption.

I have a PDF file showing there was an exemption when I purchased the home. Who do I contact, and how, about having them make sure it gets applied and I get refunded back the difference? My realtor says she's never seen this happen before and I all she could really offer were the scanned files of everything at closing. The bank said whenever they receive the bill they simply have to pay it so then they adjust my escrow after the fact. Overall it adds about $220 per month to my escrow payment and right now times are a little tight.

Can anyone help me figure out what's going on? My 2013 Tax statement shows only the full amount of $4797 that I was billed. With the homestead it should have been $3637. Is there a way, through the city/county websites, to see when homestead was last applied to the house so I can make absolutely sure it was there at signing?

Thank you for any help.

Texan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 09:44 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Have you contacted the taxing authorities (the county in particular) to see what they say?

I do not escrow my taxes or insurance due to many factors, including this.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:53 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,693,701 times
The homestead exemption is not transferable from seller to buyer. I doubt it is for the entire year. Soon as you buy the house they jack the taxes at the purchase price. Have you talked to the title company? You can look at hcad.org to see if a house is homestead. Though if they have already updated it I am not sure if you can see if it was in the past. A friend actually asked me why my house was not homestead once. I was confused as how they knew that.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:07 AM

152 posts, read 457,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
The homestead exemption is not transferable from seller to buyer. I doubt it is for the entire year.
This.

When we bought our home, we were told that you have to be residing in the home on January 1st to claim a homestead exemption for that year. We bought our house on August 2013. Since we did not own it as of January 1st in 2013, we could not claim homestead exemption for taxes in 2013.

We can, however, file for the exemption for 2014.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:12 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,129,693 times
When you bought your home in 2013 you had the benefit of the exemption for the balance of the year.

Presumably your 2014 escrow is to pay for 2014 taxes due at the end of 2014 which will be based on the new, revised valuation HCAD has put on your house as a result of the sale. No doubt that's a muych higher value.

If you haven't already done so, apply for the homestead exemption and it will count towards 2014 taxes and save you about 20%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston