Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2014, 11:52 AM

126 posts, read 193,879 times

Advertisements

Im planning to move to Houston in about 6 months. 12 years ago I lived in SE Houston (Sageglen area) now I have two young kids (under 3 y/o) and FL is not the place (at least for me) to raised them. I've come down to either Katy and Friendswood as the places to live in. Both have great schools and even though Katy is probably 4 times as big. Friendswood is close-by Pearland, Clear Lake even Galveston for things to do. My wife and I work in the medical field so job seeking shouldn't be a problem. Just wondering what people here in the forum think. My parents tell me to go Pearland but I'm not sold on it I pre fer Friendswood. And Sugarland is too far out from downtown Houston (airports, sport arenas/events)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 12:34 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,416,361 times
They are all nice suburbs with good schools and a variety of home prices. Since going out to downtown is important to you, I would nix Katy. Drive around pearland and friendswood and see which feels right to you. It sounds like you prefer Friendswood, and you can't go wrong there. It's a great location with a great school district.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:08 PM

8,898 posts, read 20,047,358 times
I'd go with friendswood.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
They are all nice suburbs with good schools and a variety of home prices. Since going out to downtown is important to you, I would nix Katy. Drive around pearland and friendswood and see which feels right to you. It sounds like you prefer Friendswood, and you can't go wrong there. It's a great location with a great school district.
My budget is $500-600k I'm sure that'll get me a decent house at either place. We are moving to Texas mainly for the kids education so even though Pearland is up and coming, does it measure up to Katy ISD or Friendswood ISD?

Old 01-25-2014, 10:30 AM

Any comments on Pearland ISD in comparison to Friendswood / Katy ISD.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:34 PM

509 posts, read 739,532 times
Friendswood has the best public schools on the south side of the metro area (Clear Lake/League City/Friendswood/Pearland etc.). Katy is larger, so look in areas zoned for Cinco Ranch or Seven Lakes High Schools. Either way, you'll be in good shape as far as good schools and nice neighborhoods.

I would pick Katy because I personally like being farther from the coast during hurricane season.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston parent View Post
Friendswood has the best public schools on the south side of the metro area (Clear Lake/League City/Friendswood/Pearland etc.). Katy is larger, so look in areas zoned for Cinco Ranch or Seven Lakes High Schools. Either way, you'll be in good shape as far as good schools and nice neighborhoods.

I would pick Katy because I personally like being farther from the coast during hurricane season.
Coming from FL I'm more aware of hurricanes. Houses here are made of cement, compared to just wood in Houston, and thats a concern for me. Thats why I'm considering Katy too.
Doing a little research I see that Friendswood is in a zone II which requires a roof that can support 110mph winds, but just outside its zone I which is 120 mph windstorm requirement. Does anyone know if its hard/expensive to upgrade the code from 110 to 120 mph windstorm in a house?
And what is the real structural difference betweeen a zone I and zone II.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:58 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,027,637 times
I would reconsider Sugar Land. If Katy drive times to various Houston area places to go don't bother you, Sugar Land's shouldn't either. They are basically the same, if not shorter (at least time-wise) from Sugar Land.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:48 PM

498 posts, read 839,693 times
The only advantage I could come up with when deciding on (greater) Clear Lake or Katy was the hurricane factor. If that doesn't bother you, I would go with the SE side of town all day long. I've never heard bad about the school from friends/co-workers who live over there. Only complaints I hear come hurricane season... and when they're late getting out the door and 45 is already backed up.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:46 PM

91 posts, read 161,120 times
Can't really comment on the cost/requirements to change code on a house. You are correct that homes being built in Galveston county (which covers parts of greater Clear Lake) now require being built to withstand a Category 3 hurricane. My understanding is that there are metal anchors built right into the foundation of the home, and many of the homes are made of the more durable hardiplank (wood treated with concrete). Friendswood is almost entirely outside of Galveston county, so the code requirements are lower....but, so is the wind risk.

I live very near Friendswood, and certainly feel it is a nice place to be, but have personally never found a compelling draw to live there. It has always seemed "too far" from the things I want - quick access to Kemah, Galveston, I-45 to Houston. A little prettier than "some" other areas down here, but only slightly so.

I, admittedly, know very little about Katy other than our sense that so many of the things of interest our family - great swim team programs for our kids, cultural festivities, TANZOT (Australian group we belong to), Costco, Whole Foods, etc. all seem to be out that way. We have said many times that we would consider looking there if my husband left his job.

Aside from lower hurricane risks, one factual benefit of Katy is quick and easy access out of town. Trips to the hill country on weekends would be a breeze. Not as easy for us down here.

As an added note, you may find Katy to be more culturally/ethnically diverse (which we happen to find much more interesting). Friendswood tends to be more homogenous and somewhat conservative. Neither is better. Just depends on what you prefer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston