Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 08:13 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole8061 View Post
So me and my boyfriend will be moving to H-Town from the miserable depressing state of Michigan in May 2014. We just have a few questions/concerns before we arrive !!! All responses and input are appreciated

1) I found an apartment complex that I really like on Rent.com in my price range ($600 for a 1 bedroom) which is located in the Greenspoint neighborhood of Houston. After doing some research I found out that Greenspoint is not considered a very good area, but we are coming from Flint MI which is known for being on the top 5 for most dangerous cities in America. Not saying that I want to live in a crime-ridden area, but I am more tolerable of places that some people would not consider moving to. The apartments are called "300 North Vista". Has anyone ever been to these apartments or the surrounding area? What's it like over there? It looks really pretty to me ... the buildings look nice inside and out and there are lots of palm trees lol. If this area is not a good area for us, what would you suggest?
As is so often mentioned on this forum, you will want to live near where you work. Traffic can be a nightmare, esp. I-10 and 610 (and Hwy 59, I-45, 290, etc., etc) during the extended rush hour anywhere from 4-7pm. Look into the area I mentioned if you can secure a job in the local vicinity.

Quote:
2) We will be moving with about $6,000 saved up to hold us over until we can find decent jobs. I have a background working in restaurants, a factory, and a law office as a legal assistant. My boyfriend has the same experience as me, except the legal assistant job. If we are adamant and persistent, can we expect to find employment quickly when we move? I was also thinking about looking for a job as a leasing consultant at an apartment complex.
Houston has no shortage of restaurants from the neighborhood hole-in-the-wall to upscale fine dining. I imagine you will want to work at an upscale one in order to generate a decent income. Those are mainly located inside 610, and certain areas to it's west (Galleria, Uptown, Memorial). Can't help you with legal work other than to suggest looking into temp agencies.

Quote:
3)
4) Me and my boyfriend are a young interracial couple. He's black & I'm white and we will both be 24 by the time we move. Will we be accepted by people down there? In Michigan we have never had any issues or any rude remarks thrown at us. Interracial relationships and marriages are common here.
Should not be a problem here, or in many of the suburbs either.

Quote:
5) How to meet people when we get there? We don't know anybody in Houston !!! Your answers and advice are appreciated
Participating in shared hobbies or interests. Try Meetup.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 05:24 PM

11 posts, read 11,033 times
[quote=mingna;33138501]As is so often mentioned on this forum, you will want to live near where you work. Traffic can be a nightmare, esp. I-10 and 610 (and Hwy 59, I-45, 290, etc., etc) during the extended rush hour anywhere from 4-7pm. Look into the area I mentioned if you can secure a job in the local vicinity.

Houston has no shortage of restaurants from the neighborhood hole-in-the-wall to upscale fine dining. I imagine you will want to work at an upscale one in order to generate a decent income. Those are mainly located inside 610, and certain areas to it's west (Galleria, Uptown, Memorial). Can't help you with legal work other than to suggest looking into temp agencies.

Should not be a problem here, or in many of the suburbs

A lot of places to rent here. Lot of different types of people. West side is fairly safe. Close to the beltway. Many restraunts to many. I lived in greens point in the 80s it was nice free beer partys at the apt. Then they dropped the rent to 189.$ and it went down hill in a year. Got robed at gun point and we hit he road! It was so bad they posted do not go out at night or even pick up your mail. 189$ is pocket change now. You get what you pay for in Houston. Rent.coms can fine 400$ and you could stick it out till your settled. I pay 835 and 100 for electery garabge water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston