Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 10:06 AM

238 posts, read 696,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
So far it looks like they're not incorporated. So they wouldn't have a current case against them. You need to find out more about whether they changed the name or what.
I don't think they changed the name, as far as what my info tells me, the name of the HOA is the same as it was when it formed in 1999. I did contact the developer and they said they already transferred control over to the resident board of directors. So I found that my HOA is no longer run by the developer.

How do I find out whether they are incorporated or not? I called the lady (so far the only live person I was able to talk to), and asked if they are incorporated, and she didn't know what I meant by that. Said there should be someone else that can give me that info, and that she'd email the person's name to me along with the BOD and committee chair names. But she said that she doesn't have their phone numbers, only names.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 12:30 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
I believe you already searched Tx records for that when you looked up the site given by IC Delight. And found their registration was old.

Here is another one. There are a few versions but all are for licensed corporations in the state of Tx:

http://www.secstates.com/TX_Texas_Secretary_of_State_Corporation_Search/

While you're looking around in there, why don't you call the Sect. of State's office? See what they can find.

HOAs are corporations. A corporation has to file and pay every year or two. If they lapse, there's generally a period of a certain number of days for a small fine. Then a larger one. Eventually with no payment they are no longer a corporation.

Soooo. What are they doing with the money? In what name are the fees being collected?

The woman who claims to have no numbers, only names. Right. What does she do...get on her bicycle to contact these people and deliver mail to them? She has no addresses? No numbers. Well, names can do for some detective work. But, very very suspicious.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:14 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,450,556 times
Where does the general info number go?
Check to see who the registered agent is - usually the management company will try to grab control of communications to and from the board and will set itself up as the registered agent as well as the contact address for the HOA corporation. Google the payment address - are there other HOAs whose involuntary members are asked to send payment to that address? If so, see what management company is involved.

By the way, the fact that the check was cashed does not mean the money went to the HOA. The management company agreement typically authorizes the management company to negotiate the check without having to deposit it nor credit it to the HOA or you.

You might also check to see if a management certificate was recorded with the Ft. Bend county clerk's office regarding your subdivision. That certificate will identify the name of the "managing agent". You can also look to see if there have been any recently recorded documents in which signatories have been identified as directors or officers of the HOA corporation.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:48 AM

38 posts, read 53,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social D View Post
All you people that act like the HOA is some clandestine secret society out to screw everyone are ridiculous. They are there to protect your property values and maintain the neighborhood you chose to live in. Run for a position on the board and learn about the process instead of whining and accusing. If something bad is going on then you can fix it. You would be surpprised by the number of deadbeats in neighborhoods that don't pay their fees but are more than happy to let everyone else pay while they enjoy their free ride. These are usually the same people that don't mow their grass, park cars in their yard, have sagging rain gutters, etc. If that is the type neighborhood you want then there are plenty that don't have HOA's at all.

I was a president and board member of an HOA for a few years. Believe me there are always plenty of issues to deal with, without looking for residents to pick on ( ain't nobody got time for that). I was very glad when my terms were over. Give it a try, it is a good way to meet your neighbors.
Dear Social D:

It has been my experience that not only does the HOA Board act in a clandestine manner, but they are also dangerously un-knowledgeable of the HOA governing documents.

Many HOA boards are unknowingly and easily manipulated by HOA management companies and HOA management law firms in acting on the HOA management's behalf and at the detriment of the homeowners.

Furthermore, the few codes in place to protect HOA homeowners are continually overlooked by the Boards and management companies. After all, what can you do-----sue them----incredibly expensive, time consuming, etc.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:23 PM

104 posts, read 176,938 times
So Teddie, you have infiltrated these clandestine HOA Boards and found many to be corrupt. You personnally uncovered many acts of wrong doing by Management Companies and you proved they are all in cahoots with their lackey Attorneys to the detriment of the unknowing residents. Good for you sir!

I am not saying nothing bad could ever happen. After all, when there are people and money involved there is always potential for corruption. It does take some diligence on the part of the homeowners and Board Members to understand what is going on. As a resident in your HOA you have the power to do something about it other than sit back and throw out conspiracy theories. I guess I just got lucky and lived in good neighborhood and worked with a good Management Co. and had good neighbors to serve with (or maybe I was just totally duped by their brilliant disguise).

It would be nice to know what ever happened to the OP and his mysterious HOA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston