Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 01:29 PM

4 posts, read 4,951 times

Advertisements

Long time lurker first time poster.

Curious if anyone has any insight into the aforementioned subject.

We are looking at multiple properties in this area, in this configuration. Does anyone know how often the train runs? Do they blow their horns at night?

My partner tells me the train cars come from Pasadena and the Port, usually loaded with chemicals such as gasoline, toluene, phosphoric acid, crude oil among others. Any truth to this assertion? Any history of derailment and is 80 ft enough of a buffer zone to be safe against this? Am I over thinking this?

Thank you kindly in advance for any unique insights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 02:02 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,805,583 times
There is no way that I'd live that close to a rail line. Risk of derailment is very, very low but you can't put a value on simply being able to sit in your backyard and enjoy the peace and quiet.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:26 PM

644 posts, read 1,353,238 times
I live in Eastwood and the train runs right behind my house. I have a very long lot, but obviously I still hear the train. I'm totally used to it and it never wakes me or bothers me anymore. When I'm in the backyard I enjoy watching the train go by. But it really doesn't go by that often and the worst part is the horn. However the ECA is working to make our neighborhood a quiet zone.

I wouldn't live anywhere else in Houston. I love my neighborhood and the train isn't a big deal at all to me.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:34 PM

4 posts, read 4,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegankris View Post
I live in Eastwood and the train runs right behind my house. I have a very long lot, but obviously I still hear the train. I'm totally used to it and it never wakes me or bothers me anymore. When I'm in the backyard I enjoy watching the train go by. But it really doesn't go by that often and the worst part is the horn. However the ECA is working to make our neighborhood a quiet zone.

I wouldn't live anywhere else in Houston. I love my neighborhood and the train isn't a big deal at all to me.
Thank you much for the information.
Does the train vibrate your house very much? Do you have to secure your trinkets and knick knacks?
When I was in college my dorm was about 500 ft from the train and it would vibrate everything including your abdomen. But it didn't take long for me to get used to it. But 80 ft away concerns me.
What concerns me more is what the train cars are hauling. Any ideas?
Thanks again.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:45 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,768,770 times
I own a few properties in Eastwood and although not directly by the train tracks I do notice the train when it blows its horn. In my opinion it is quite loud. I have spent the night at one of the properties for a few weeks while remodeling and I really did notice it throughout the night.

Now I do not live there but would not let the train deter me as the neighborhood has potential. I plan to possibly move into one of the properties when the kids are grown up.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:02 PM

644 posts, read 1,353,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Precious Metalstein View Post
Thank you much for the information.
Does the train vibrate your house very much? Do you have to secure your trinkets and knick knacks?
When I was in college my dorm was about 500 ft from the train and it would vibrate everything including your abdomen. But it didn't take long for me to get used to it. But 80 ft away concerns me.
What concerns me more is what the train cars are hauling. Any ideas?
Thanks again.
No....it doesn't vibrate anything in the house...hahaha. I have no idea what the trains haul. I do know that everyday on the highways those big tanker trucks are carrying a lot of dangerous chemicals and they are much more prone to accidents. Yet we have no problem driving on the highways with them every single day.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:08 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Precious Metalstein View Post
Long time lurker first time poster.

Curious if anyone has any insight into the aforementioned subject.

We are looking at multiple properties in this area, in this configuration. Does anyone know how often the train runs? Do they blow their horns at night?

My partner tells me the train cars come from Pasadena and the Port, usually loaded with chemicals such as gasoline, toluene, phosphoric acid, crude oil among others. Any truth to this assertion? Any history of derailment and is 80 ft enough of a buffer zone to be safe against this? Am I over thinking this?

Thank you kindly in advance for any unique insights.
No, no - and to be clear - NO.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:09 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,693,701 times
No dangerous chemicals go through the middle of Houston. I heard you get used to the trains passing. There is a big discount on places near the tracks because of it.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:17 PM

433 posts, read 660,336 times
That actually sounds pretty cool......anyone have pics of how it looks?

Old 01-23-2014, 07:14 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
If the train cars have a placard with 4 digits they have all the chemicals you listed and many many more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston