Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 03:19 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times

Advertisements

The real truth is the housing between 610 and Beltway 8 is aging and was mostly built in the 60s & 70s and so is untrendy ranch houses.
Its a natural cycle. Inside the loop aged while 610 to Beltway 8 boomed. Now inside the loop is reinvigorated with lots of renovations while most of 610 to Beltway 8 can't compete well with the renovated inside the loop houses or the newer outside Beltway 8.

We're just getting to the point (slowly picking up speed) where that area outside the loop is starting to renovate. In time, it will start to renovate while Beltway 8 to Grand Parkway ages and can't compete well with new housing near the Grand Parkway or renovated places inside Beltway 8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 03:25 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by land161 View Post
The area of Houston that's in the northeast side of town that's right by the beltway rarely gets mentioned. I'm not sure what the area is called, but Google Maps has the area named as Houston Suburban Heights.

Another area that doesn't get mentioned at all is the part of town that's south of loop 610, but west of 288. Many people automatically label this area bad due to neighborhoods like Sunnyside and South Park being on the other side of 288, but the area isn't bad at all. It's just massively underdeveloped and nothing much but sprawl.
"Not bad" is really over-rating that area unless you are living on a farm in there. Its not Sunnyside, but its pretty high crime. Windsor Village United Methodist Church has done a lot in that area, but there was a long way to go.

Old 03-29-2014, 04:02 PM

226 posts, read 284,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
"Not bad" is really over-rating that area unless you are living on a farm in there. Its not Sunnyside, but its pretty high crime. Windsor Village United Methodist Church has done a lot in that area, but there was a long way to go.
The area I'm referring to is a little bit north of Windsor Village. It doesn't really have name, but if you look at Google Maps it's by the Wildcat Country Club.

Not sure how calling the Windsor Village area "not bad" would be overrating it, unless you are referring to Hiram Clarke, which is close by. It's not a crime free area, and isn't as safe as most of the suburbs and affluent neighborhoods in Houston, but it isn't dangerous neighborhood.

Last edited by land161; 03-29-2014 at 04:20 PM..

Old 03-29-2014, 06:23 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
The real truth is the housing between 610 and Beltway 8 is aging and was mostly built in the 60s & 70s and so is untrendy ranch houses.
Its a natural cycle. Inside the loop aged while 610 to Beltway 8 boomed. Now inside the loop is reinvigorated with lots of renovations while most of 610 to Beltway 8 can't compete well with the renovated inside the loop houses or the newer outside Beltway 8.

We're just getting to the point (slowly picking up speed) where that area outside the loop is starting to renovate. In time, it will start to renovate while Beltway 8 to Grand Parkway ages and can't compete well with new housing near the Grand Parkway or renovated places inside Beltway 8.
Best analysis yet.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:58 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times
Quote:
The area of Houston that's in the northeast side of town that's right by the beltway rarely gets mentioned. I'm not sure what the area is called, but Google Maps has the area named as Houston Suburban Heights.
You can get an outline of it if you type "Houston Suburban Heights" into Google Maps. It was the North Forest ISD school district. That's probably why people didn't move there. Now that it's in HISD it might be in a better position to develop.

Quote:
The area I'm referring to is a little bit north of Windsor Village. It doesn't really have name, but if you look at Google Maps it's by the Wildcat Country Club.

Not sure how calling the Windsor Village area "not bad" would be overrating it, unless you are referring to Hiram Clarke, which is close by. It's not a crime free area, and isn't as safe as most of the suburbs and affluent neighborhoods in Houston, but it isn't dangerous neighborhood.
Lately HISD has built new schools in the Hiram Clarke area (Hines-Caldwell and Billy Reagan K-8). Anyhow, I wonder if there are any plans to sell the country club and have new housing developed there.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
You can get an outline of it if you type "Houston Suburban Heights" into Google Maps. It was the North Forest ISD school district. That's probably why people didn't move there. Now that it's in HISD it might be in a better position to develop.
Here's a picture of the part of town I'm talking about (Greensbrook, Sunset Ridge, Village of Kings Lake, Forest Acres, Summerwood, basically the parts around the belt).

I could be wrong, but I think the former North Forest ISD covered neighborhoods that were a little bit south of this area.

Last edited by land161; 03-29-2014 at 09:06 PM..

Old 03-29-2014, 11:05 PM
bu2

Quote:

Windsor Village and Hiram Clarke pretty much run together. Wasn't familiar with the Wildcat Country Club. Looking at the map, that seems to be built on the old Holmes Road landfill (which is why the land from near the Astrodome to Airport Blvd. had never really been developed). Don't think I would want to live so close to an old landfill.

As for the Hiram Clarke area, it was developed just after the fair housing laws and was one of the first to be integrated. Realtors pushed Blacks to the area while avoiding other areas and development stopped as there was white flight. And once the whites started leaving, Sims Bayou started flooding, 4 big floods from 74 to 80, pushing a lot of the middle class out of the neighborhood.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:34 PM

2,188 posts, read 3,218,368 times
The whites ran to Fort Bend County off 2234 as I grew up in Briargate...Briargate, Ridgemont, etc. became too black and whites fled to Quail Valley, Sugar Land (Eldridge area) and ultimately First Colony...

the difference then was most blacks who settled in Fort Bend were college educated, played pro ball, stayed and built a nice little area of schools as Willowridge became one of the most popular and well-rounded schools in the city until the district took over and killed it..

Eventually, flight began again as blacks started moving towards Highway 6 for newer and bigger homes...

But the homes they left behind were in much better shape than that crap people are overpaying for in the Heights, Bellaire, etc....you can get 5 bedroom homes with detached garages for nothing...plus, the streets were built wider...location to the city is better also...

Old 03-30-2014, 12:33 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times
Quote:
Here's a picture of the part of town I'm talking about (Greensbrook, Sunset Ridge, Village of Kings Lake, Forest Acres, Summerwood, basically the parts around the belt).

I could be wrong, but I think the former North Forest ISD covered neighborhoods that were a little bit south of this area.
http://www.houstonisd.org/cms/lib2/T...02013-2014.pdf - There is a creek that is the dividing line between Houston ISD and Humble ISD. Notice the shape of the North Forest HS zone corresponds with a creek that you see in the map

Old 03-30-2014, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
http://www.houstonisd.org/cms/lib2/T...02013-2014.pdf - There is a creek that is the dividing line between Houston ISD and Humble ISD. Notice the shape of the North Forest HS zone corresponds with a creek that you see in the map
Most of the neighborhoods I listed are outside of North Forest ISD except for Forest Acres, so schools shouldn't really be a problem. Maybe expensive homes are the reason why the area doesn't get recommended, I'm not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston