Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 03:20 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by land161 View Post
Most of the neighborhoods I listed are outside of North Forest ISD except for Forest Acres, so schools shouldn't really be a problem. Maybe expensive homes are the reason why the area doesn't get recommended, I'm not sure.
I see. In the case of "Houston Suburban Heights" that one definitely is in the former NFISD.

One thing HISD did in that area was reopen Thurgood Marshall (previously the early childhood center) as the neighborhood school and turn Fonwood (previously the zoned school) into an early childhood school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 06:24 AM

914 posts, read 1,833,223 times
The part east, south, and west of Fall Creek quickly turns to ghetto. North of Beltway 8 on Atascocita Road there is a large stinky Waste Management landfill and a prison. This is probably hindering development in that area.The area east of Summerwood should develop now that the expansion of Beltway 8 has been completed in that area.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKennedy View Post
The part east, south, and west of Fall Creek quickly turns to ghetto. North of Beltway 8 on Atascocita Road there is a large stinky Waste Management landfill and a prison. This is probably hindering development in that area.The area east of Summerwood should develop now that the expansion of Beltway 8 has been completed in that area.
That prison specifically is the Pam Lychner State Jail, named after a woman who, with her daughters, died on TWA Flight 800 (she was a victim's rights advocate).

I wonder if the neighborhoods south of Fall Creek will develop into something more - a Google Maps satellite view shows how sparsely developed they are.

The good thing about the Marshall conversion was that Marshall is much closer to the northern North Forest areas than Fonwood. It is kind of strange that NFISD chose Marshall as the location of its early childhood campus instead of someplace more central.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:56 PM

914 posts, read 1,833,223 times
There is another Waste Management landfill on East Mount Houston south of Fall Creek and east of 59. The area south of Fall Creek also has a railroad track and lots of industrial sites.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:59 PM

331 posts, read 487,406 times
There are plenty of areas between 610 and beltway 8 - meyerland, galleria, westchase, spring branch, oak forest, garden oaks, etc. and just like inside the loop, there are still areas people won't touch with a 10' pole from a redevelopment standpoint. There are probably more bad areas outside the loop since it's a larger area. I don't quite get the obsession with being inside. There are plenty of places right outside with just as good of access, etc., for fewer dollars.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftbend06 View Post
There are plenty of areas between 610 and beltway 8 - meyerland, galleria, westchase, spring branch, oak forest, garden oaks, etc. and just like inside the loop, there are still areas people won't touch with a 10' pole from a redevelopment standpoint. There are probably more bad areas outside the loop since it's a larger area. I don't quite get the obsession with being inside. There are plenty of places right outside with just as good of access, etc., for fewer dollars.
All of the areas are on the westside. I think the person starting the topic believes that there is a bias against the eastside that isn't entirely founded. The eastside has always been more working class and "less desirable", but the point is that there may be good neighborhoods around there too.

That's why Glenbrook Valley was "preserved" enough as a historic neighborhood while Meyerland, Braeswood Place, Bellaire, etc. have seen numerous teardowns and rebuilds. You could say the less desirable status made it a blessing in disguise?

Old 03-31-2014, 06:48 AM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
The oil refineries & chemical plants also made the east side less desirable. Moreso in the 70s and 80s, but the air quality was noticeably worse. When they used to do pollution by area on the weather, interestingly, Spring Branch was almost as bad. Apparently the winds tended to blow that way. Southwest Houston and North Houston were better.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:58 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times
But still, you don't see posters on this board suggesting neighborhoods on the north, northwest, south, or southwest sides of town between 610 and the Tollway, except for GO-OF and Meyerland. Heck, they don't suggest anything on the north side until at least Cypress Creek if not further. I'm not sure how the "anti-east side bias" plays into that.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
The oil refineries & chemical plants also made the east side less desirable. Moreso in the 70s and 80s, but the air quality was noticeably worse. When they used to do pollution by area on the weather, interestingly, Spring Branch was almost as bad. Apparently the winds tended to blow that way. Southwest Houston and North Houston were better.
Manchester in southeast Houston is still hit hard by the refineries and Pasadena is called "Stinkadena" but I don't know what other neighborhoods are truly affected by it.

Idylwood is a beautiful neighborhood with rolling hills. I wonder if its surroundings are improved by the Wal-Mart.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:33 PM

5 posts, read 5,207 times
I have lived in Langwood 1, for 25 years. It is a mixed community, with a few original owners. The neighborhood is improving and the west side of Bingle is Cy-fair ISD! I have never been the victim of a crime and my neighbors are hard working, home owners. There are a few TRASHY houses that should be torn down, but a couple of the worst ones have been worked on recently. The home prices are great if you are willing to invest in some upgrades or do some work yourself. There are tons of great, family owned places to eat and shopping near by. It's right next to 290, so access is great. It's usually pretty quiet and there is a fire station just on the edge of the neighborhood. The work on 290 kind of stinks, but a sound wall will be going up. When they redo Old Hempstead into a toll road, there will be a wall on that side too. I love my little house and have done a lot of work on it and raised my kids here. It's a good neighborhood and the people are nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston