Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 08:19 PM

6 posts, read 16,673 times

Advertisements

wow...it's amazing how the symantecs of using the wrong word can completely throw everyone into an uproar. Are you kidding me?!?! There was not any intent behind saying refugee, it was what I thought was the appropriate term. So nevermind my question I have received plenty of PM's from people who gave me the info I needed. And to those people I say Thank You!!!

Old 11-29-2007, 09:37 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,613,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin' Man View Post
wow...it's amazing how the symantecs of using the wrong word can completely throw everyone into an uproar. Are you kidding me?!?! There was not any intent behind saying refugee, it was what I thought was the appropriate term. So nevermind my question I have received plenty of PM's from people who gave me the info I needed. And to those people I say Thank You!!!
The problem is we have many posters come into these forum, toss out a rather provocative question, then sit back and watch the fur fly without ever coming back with follow up replies or clarifications. My apologies to you since this obviously was not the case this time. The difficulty is not knowing what one's intentions are initially and unfortunately some of the first reactions can be a little terse. If you have any further questions I'm sure folks would be happy to step up and help out.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:52 PM

6 posts, read 16,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post
The problem is we have many posters come into these forum, toss out a rather provocative question, then sit back and watch the fur fly without ever coming back with follow up replies or clarifications. My apologies to you since this obviously was not the case this time. The difficulty is not knowing what one's intentions are initially and unfortunately some of the first reactions can be a little terse. If you have any further questions I'm sure folks would be happy to step up and help out.
No problem. Thanks for the response. I was just trying to get an honest answer on what it's like because of that situation. Like I said I don't want to go by what I see in the news or read on-line. I'd rather get it straight from the people in that area.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:21 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,095,222 times
Quote:
No problem. Thanks for the response. I was just trying to get an honest answer on what it's like because of that situation. Like I said I don't want to go by what I see in the news or read on-line. I'd rather get it straight from the people in that area.
when youre over the crime thing you should still make sure you dont live too close to folks from NOLA. their type of lifestyle isnt what you would want from your neighbors. you can find lovely people from NOLA but you still have to live with their junky cars, loudmouth attitudes, baby-mama culture. they also have friends in the ghetto apartment areas who'd like to hangout in more peaceful neighborhoods. kinda like ghetto MTV cribs in front of your house

Old 11-30-2007, 09:44 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,579,566 times
Quote:

It's not an issue of semantics. It's an issue of people trying to be PC over using simple, middle-school English concepts. That is, that the word "especially" doesn't mean "always," and that semicolons are positioned to divide separate, similarly related sentences.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:31 PM

690 posts, read 2,623,459 times
Quote:
I would think that you all would empathize with those affected by Hurricane Katrina.
We did. That's why we took in well over 125,000 of them when no other city would/could.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:37 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,502,858 times
Actually I believe the correct term would be "Katrina victims" as they were forced out of their domiciles due to a natural disaster.

Old 12-01-2007, 02:09 PM

8,891 posts, read 19,886,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
They aren't refugees. Last time I checked, Louisiana was in the USA. They're called evacuees, and I'm sure there are thousands of them still here. Since you're so concerned, you'd be better off moving to DFW. They didn't take in anywhere near the amount Houston did.
It is too politically correct to worry about calling people refugees or evacuees. I actually think evacuees sounds wose - just the word. The word Refuge - isn't bad. Like - if a tornado is coming - seek shelter or seek refuge from the storm. If you have seeked refuge from something bad then I could see being called a refugee. The word refugee in the politcal arena turns it into a world thing.

Old 12-01-2007, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Refugee isn't a bad word - it is people being overly sensitive and trying too hard to be politically correct. People who seeked refuge from the hurricanes are living all over the city at the present time.

Old 12-01-2007, 02:14 PM

Ericka709 - Yes I live in Houston and if I ever have to flee from a storm - honestly - I wouldn't give a flip if you called me a refugee or an evacuee - and the term used for me would probably be the last of my concerns - neither word is derogatory -- it is all in what you choose to make it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston