Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 07:16 AM

339 posts, read 764,836 times

Advertisements

Our house backs to a greenspace which inturn backs inturn backs to a street. Since the greenspace is owned by the community, the fence is a wrought iron fence and is covered off by trees/bushes/shrubs so our backyard is not directly visible from the street that the greenspace backs. This was one of the reasons we liked the house because 1) we don't have any backyard neighbors and 2) the bushes and shrubbery give us the privacy of a true backyard.

However, when we came home last night, we saw that the bushes/shrubbery were gone. Since the greenspace is a common area, the HOA is responsible for maintaining it and i'm assuming they had it cleared out. Now, our backyard is directly visible from the street and we no longer have any privacy in our back yard.

My question is- as a homeowner, what rights do we have for privacy in our back yard? I plan to go to the HOA to discuss this but just trying to think through some of the discussion points. Since the Greenspace is owned by them, they are free to maintain it as they please. Trying to see if there's any argument i can make. While purchasing the house, the builder had mentioned that they plan to have the trees, bushes, shurbs, etc. to give us the privacy, but this was just a verbal discussion.

I did review our deed restrictions and couldn't find anything specific to this.

I have attached a picture of what our backyard lookedlike prior to yesterday. you can see that the trees and shurbs past the wrought iron fence created a barrier and gave us our privacy.

Any help will be appreciated!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 07:20 AM

536 posts, read 1,062,946 times
Phone up the management company responsible for the HOA and ask them if there are plans to replant there.

Other than that, you can plant along the inside of your fence line to create privacy.

I'd be very surprised if there was anything in the deed restrictions about what the HOA has to have on the greenspace outside your fence, sorry.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:21 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,875 times
Move to a HOA free area? HOA= Gestapo

Old 01-28-2014, 07:26 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbink View Post
Phone up the management company responsible for the HOA and ask them if there are plans to replant there.

Other than that, you can plant along the inside of your fence line to create privacy.

I'd be very surprised if there was anything in the deed restrictions about what the HOA has to have on the greenspace outside your fence, sorry.
^^This. I don't think they have any responsibility to provide homeowners with privacy landscaping and the developers will pretty much say anything to make things enticing.

I can't believe they took down all that green landscaping/trees, though. That would upset me but I don't think you have any recourse except to plant privacy landscaping inside your fence line.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
^^This. I don't think they have any responsibility to provide homeowners with privacy landscaping and the developers will pretty much say anything to make things enticing.

I can't believe they took down all that green landscaping/trees, though. That would upset me but I don't think you have any recourse except to plant privacy landscaping inside your fence line.
Yeah, looking at the shrubbery and trees they all looked nice and mature, not too sure why they would have taken them down either, unless they were damaged in some way and posing a potential hazard.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:48 AM

46 posts, read 103,476 times
Probably making room for a Walmart.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:48 AM

thanks for the responses. i plan to also ask the HOA if we can put up our own wood fence.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:57 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,583 times
well that sucks but that could be a blessing because that fence is asking for trouble

Old 01-28-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulio82 View Post
thanks for the responses. i plan to also ask the HOA if we can put up our own wood fence.
I think the chances of that are slim to none. They normally require yards backing on to common area to have wrought iron fences with no exceptions.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbink View Post
I think the chances of that are slim to none. They normally require yards backing on to common area to have wrought iron fences with no exceptions.
i agree, but i'm going to ask. the only difference with this common area is that it does not house a park, or has a trail. literally, its just a piece of greenspace and the only way to get to it is to jump the fence or access it from the street. Every now and then, people who live down the street (not part of our community) will bring their dogs there to walk them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston