Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 07:44 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times

Advertisements

I think your biggest challenge is being able to even find a house in Wilchester for 500 k to purchase.Even tear downs are going for more than that now. Rummel Creek zoning very close to the freeway is your best shot. Or go further west past Dairy Ashford.

You might find one right on Wilcrest or Kirkwood, but it won't rent well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 09:22 AM

3 posts, read 8,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
I think your biggest challenge is being able to even find a house in Wilchester for 500 k to purchase.Even tear downs are going for more than that now. Rummel Creek zoning very close to the freeway is your best shot. Or go further west past Dairy Ashford.

You might find one right on Wilcrest or Kirkwood, but it won't rent well.
Thanks EasilyAmused for your multiple responses - very helpful! Yes, 500k in Wilchester is hard. We would go up to 550k in that region - saw a couple homes listed in that range in Rummel Creek, but you're right they were a bit old, or close to Katy freeway. I'm less inclined to go west of Dairy Ashford because the schools there are not as good (especially at the far west end of 77079, near Fleetwood).

Old 02-03-2014, 10:33 AM

65 posts, read 114,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
It also depends on the combination of asking price and the condition of your home/interior finishing. If you want top dollar, then your home needs nice finishings. An older home that is dated or old fashioned will still rent very quickly, but not for top dollar.

That is a great location and you should have no problem renting it out to a good and qualified renter. The schools are great, it is close to the energy corridor as well as the galleria area, close to shopping/ restaurants, and it has a nice neighborhood feeling with trees.
As a landlord myself, I think there is always a sense of insecurity for renting out higher end of properties. Either you will face lack of demand during a economic downturn or you are worrying days and nights about tenants do not take good care of your half million house.

My rental property is in south part of England, where the property price can easily exceed half a million pounds. I always felt that expensive rental property is not good value for money.

You could always mitigate the risk factor associated with high-end rental by buying a multi-family rental. That will maximise your profit return and will also apprise in the next couple of years.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:28 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,132,383 times
On that budget I'd be looking out in Katy. A larger, newer property with a pool might be a better rental especially within the Cinco Ranch or other MPC with amenitites. I would think that an expat moving to Houston will want that "Texas experience".

Also, bear in mind expats looking at rentals $3-4000+ generally have private schools paid for as well so you may want to expand your search a bit to places like Lakes of Eldridge which is popular with the expats but with less regarded schools.

Or, given other advice about renting high end properties which I tend to agree with, you may be better off splitting the difference and buying in a Cinco Ranch type MPC but in the $300k range saving you a bit of money, keeping the good schools which matter to you, and providing amenities and location to your potential energy corridor tenants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: