Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2014, 04:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,556 times

Advertisements

My husband and me are in the final stages of moving to Houston. Our move, like many other personal stories I've been reading, is centered around job opportunities. We love Little Rock; it's SO underrated, and we would love to maintain our standard of living that we've established. I've talked to many friends/family who've all had conflicting accounts of the city. Most of them have something negative to say. But, I am openminded. After all, it's a huge city with lots of money, investment, cultural amenities, etc. I'm trying to take the criticism with a grain of salt. We would be making much more money which would allow us to be picky about neighborhoods, etc. We want historic, SAFE, eclectic, LGBT friendly, if you catch my drift. I'd appreciate any feedback that would apply to my family. We have no children, unless you consider our cats :-)

Give me some advice please. We want become part of the community in a positive way. Anyway, you catch my drift. Any constructive advice would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 04:56 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacobharris View Post
My husband and me are in the final stages of moving to Houston. Our move, like many other personal stories I've been reading, is centered around job opportunities. We love Little Rock; it's SO underrated, and we would love to maintain our standard of living that we've established. I've talked to many friends/family who've all had conflicting accounts of the city. Most of them have something negative to say. But, I am openminded. After all, it's a huge city with lots of money, investment, cultural amenities, etc. I'm trying to take the criticism with a grain of salt. We would be making much more money which would allow us to be picky about neighborhoods, etc. We want historic, SAFE, eclectic, LGBT friendly, if you catch my drift. I'd appreciate any feedback that would apply to my family. We have no children, unless you consider our cats :-)

Give me some advice please. We want become part of the community in a positive way. Anyway, you catch my drift. Any constructive advice would be appreciated!
It's called the Heights

Welcome to the Houston Heights Association

Houston Heights - Houston Neighborhoods - Map - Visit Houston Texas

Houston Heights - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ask your Realtor for more info, and welcome to Houston !

Old 02-03-2014, 05:05 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Agree, we are a relatively young city, with most of our growth recent enough to make the word "historic" rare in the city. Unfortunately, that close in to Downtown also translates into more expensive. The fact that our major is a Lesbian should give you some insight into Houston's mindset about live and let live.

The Heights and the Montrose area are older, also eclectic.

So very much depends upon job location - our city is huge geographically. You don't want a long commute.i

Old 02-03-2014, 07:42 PM

785 posts, read 1,235,018 times
What standards of living are you used to? Please give us a budget so we have a better idea of what neighborhoods might work for you.

There are many LGBT couples in the Meyerland neighborhood, which is just outside the inner loop, that might fit you if you're looking for a neighborhood that's laid-back and consists mostly of single-family homes. The adventurous ones are making their way to the East End and Eastwood after getting priced out of Montrose, our historically-LGBT neighborhood. Montrose itself, and the Heights, are still options depending on your budget.

And yes, there are a lot of things that Houston could be better at, but there are also plenty of things to love. Houston is very very underrated as well, until you get to know it and find all the things that make it great. I volunteered this weekend for the Creating Change conference, the largest LGBT conference in the country, which just had it's best showing in its history thanks to the work of our Houston LGBT community and the excitement of being in the only major city with a lesbian leader. Everyone I met loved the city, as we made sure we showed them our hospitality and best of what our city had to offer.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:42 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,696,696 times
What you are describing is the Heights and the Montrose as others said. Montrose is considered the "gay" area of Houston, though it really is not that gay. It is also in the heart of the city. A nice home in Montrose will start at 600K and the Heights even higher. You can get a townhouse that will be cheaper. Search away on har.com

Old 02-03-2014, 07:49 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
I lived in Southern Missouri and have been to Little Rock many times.

Houston is gonna seem huge, with huge highways, lots of traffic, flat.... but keep in mind, the beach is close from here and the weather is much better.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:16 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,052,923 times
People in little rock have negative opinions about houston? As a native north eastener long time houstonian who has spent a few stops in arkansas and little rock im puzzled. Youll fit right in but youll be paying more to live nicely here

Old 02-03-2014, 10:57 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
If you keep the appearance of your property clean and don't do things to the house/yard that diminish the property values of your neighbors, you should find Houston pretty accepting...if you get my drift.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:04 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
If you keep the appearance of your property clean and don't do things to the house/yard that diminish the property values of your neighbors, you should find Houston pretty accepting...if you get my drift.
No flags outside of the house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: