U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2014, 06:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,303 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am looking for the house in Katy area.
It seems like that the house price in Westheimer lakes north is little cheaper than the cinco ranch or other area for the same size, similar floor plan, built year, and etc.
I wonder if there is any hidden reason, for example neighbor issue, builder, HOA, school zone change or else.
Thank you for the advice in advance.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 07:30 PM

99 posts, read 142,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow12 View Post
Hello,

I am looking for the house in Katy area.
It seems like that the house price in Westheimer lakes north is little cheaper than the cinco ranch or other area for the same size, similar floor plan, built year, and etc.
I wonder if there is any hidden reason, for example neighbor issue, builder, HOA, school zone change or else.
Thank you for the advice in advance.
Westheimer lakes north area is still not fully developed like Cinco. There are not many main streets or retail or restaurants over there compared to areas closer to 99 and Cinco Ranch Blvd. I do not think it has to do with neighbor issue or HOA. My friends recently bought a house in Pine Mill Ranch and its the same. Cheaper houses with the same builders. It takes about 5-10 minutes to get to the closest grocery store from their house.

IMO in about 2-3 years, all of these subdivisions will catch up to Cinco Ranch in terms of development.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:04 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,564,370 times
Also, if KB Homes builds there....run away. May look nice now, just wait until later. Have you ever seen a KB Home neighborhood after a decade of foreclosures, short sales, and neglect?

Old 02-10-2014, 06:42 AM

1,552 posts, read 3,036,131 times
Quote:
Westheimer Lakes is the first Canyon Gate community to debut in Houston’s prime Grand Parkway Corridor. The 592-acre project offers homes from the low $100’s-$300’s, and features gated and non-gated monitored neighborhoods built around a network of lakes.

Westheimer Lakes North is located just a quarter of a mile west of the Westheimer Lakes entrance on FM 1093. Westheimer Lakes North is a 287-acre addition to Westheimer Lakes that features non-gated villages with homes from the mid 100's-300's.
Personally, I wouldn't buy a new home in a neighborhood "from the low $100's". Did that once, and the neighborhood went to crap after about 10 years. These are starter homes, and for the most part people just don't keep them up in this price range. It sounds like Westheimer Lakes North is an addition to this low $100s neighborhood, which would probably bring your values down to the same range as those homes eventually.

If I were you I'd look for a neighborhood that starts in the $200's if you just have to buy new. These are usually people on their second home who learned from their mistake of buying in the starter home neighborhood. If you are open to existing homes, there are realtors on this board who can give you some good areas in the mid-$100's that have potential for appreciation.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:41 AM

705 posts, read 1,186,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
Personally, I wouldn't buy a new home in a neighborhood "from the low $100's". Did that once, and the neighborhood went to crap after about 10 years. These are starter homes, and for the most part people just don't keep them up in this price range. It sounds like Westheimer Lakes North is an addition to this low $100s neighborhood, which would probably bring your values down to the same range as those homes eventually.

If I were you I'd look for a neighborhood that starts in the $200's if you just have to buy new. These are usually people on their second home who learned from their mistake of buying in the starter home neighborhood. If you are open to existing homes, there are realtors on this board who can give you some good areas in the mid-$100's that have potential for appreciation.
Without knowing OP's budget, they might be looking for a home in the 100s. The benefit of this neighborhood is, it is near Lakes of Bella Terra, Seven Meadows, Cross Creek etc. The grocery stores, restaurants etc are coming, with some already there. The neighborhood itself, IMO, is what is expected for that price range. Lots are small and homes are close together. It is zoned to good schools. Now in 10 years...it'll probably the first one to go downhill.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:07 PM

2 posts, read 3,719 times
Not sure if this is still relevant, but WLN is nearly built out (over 90%). There are loads of streets and restaurants and businesses at the front and back entrances to the neighborhood. You get tons of bang for your buck in WLN because our kids go to the same schools as the Cinco kids for about $50-80k less in most cases. The closest grocery store is less than 2 miles away and development is all around.

KB Homes built in WL, but not WLNorth! All the WLN builders have been great. I've heard not complaints and we've been in our house there since 2007.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:53 PM

17 posts, read 24,258 times
Does anyone know if there is further rezoning proposed for schools in Westheimer lakes north. I am aware of stanely to Shafer rezoning but someone was mentioning about high school future rexoning to Tompkins...Is this correct? We are solely moving in this neighborhood because of schools.Will appreciate a wuick response.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:11 AM

675 posts, read 1,359,923 times
Even if it was rezoned to Tompkins, Tompkins is a hybrid of Cinco Ranch HS, Seven Lakes HS, and a small population of Katy HS kids. It alleviated all those three schools when it was built.

Old 03-20-2015, 03:54 PM

963 posts, read 2,459,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybdyb View Post
Does anyone know if there is further rezoning proposed for schools in Westheimer lakes north. I am aware of stanely to Shafer rezoning but someone was mentioning about high school future rexoning to Tompkins...Is this correct? We are solely moving in this neighborhood because of schools.Will appreciate a wuick response.
As a parent of a SLHS student, and friend to many families who go to Tompkins, I'm curious what you think you will gain at one school over the other. They're very comparable. I can't see one over the other based on real life experience with both.

But, as of now it appears WLN will stay at SLHS... For better or worse I guess.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:41 PM

2 posts, read 3,719 times
I attend most every school board meeting and have attended every rezoning meeting for the last 7 years. Westheimer Lakes North is more than likely where we will stay - Shafer Elem., Seven Lakes JH and HS.

There is a new Jr High slated for Cross Creek Ranch in about 5 years, but Cross Creek presently attends Tompkins HS. The school board has is working very hard to quit splintering schools. (i.e. the kids that go to a single jr high ALL go to the same high school -- no more 1/2 the school to this HS and 1/2 to another.) So, with that said, I would say that WLN is locked into it's present zoning pattern from here on out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: