Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 07:52 AM

5 posts, read 5,989 times

Advertisements

Moving back to Houston and we have a 4 yr old who will be going to Kjndergarten.... We want to live downtown, either Midtown, montrose, or galleria.... In an apartment. Do any of these areas have good public schools? Or do I need to do private school?

Thanks for info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 08:03 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,695,537 times
Downtown you will have to do private. Downtown is not for families. Midtown is not for families either. Galleria will have the best schools out of those. I actually went to Briargrove when I was a kid. I am not sure how good it is these days. Montrose has some ok elementary schools. You might want to look at the Heights also.

http://www.greatschools.org/texas/ho...?gradeLevels=e

Old 02-10-2014, 08:04 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
Rent a townhouse on memorial near 610. Best schools in the metro k-12.

Briargrove in Galleria/Uptown is still a good school, but it can be more challenging to get from that area to downtown.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:16 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,052,968 times
Be aware that when people say "downtown" in Houston they mean the skyscraper district, tightly bounded by 45/59. Sounds like you mean "in the loop" (bounded by the 610 loop). There are plenty of great options. Since you want an apartment building that will affect things... for example you might be able to get into West U elementary, which is highly rated in a very expensive neighborhood, since you're looking to rent an apartment rather than buy. You'll need a realtor who is familiar with good rental options.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:04 AM

Getting into the rich elementary schools like West U and River Oaks through apartment is not so easy. Just because the complex is zoned there does not mean you will go to school there. There are just not enough spots.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:17 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,078,314 times
I sure wish school districts would locate some schools within employment centers.

The kids could ride to school with parents. Parents could have lunch with their kids some days. Parent teacher conferences would be easier.

Looks like win/win to me. No scrambling to get your kid into a "good" school. People could live where they liked.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:12 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I sure wish school districts would locate some schools within employment centers.

The kids could ride to school with parents. Parents could have lunch with their kids some days. Parent teacher conferences would be easier.

Looks like win/win to me. No scrambling to get your kid into a "good" school. People could live where they liked.
There seem to be plenty, but not everyone qualifies or can afford them. Wharton, Crockett, Harvard, River Oaks, Memorial are elementarys near me. With Reagan, Davis and Carnegie high schools for downtown workers.

Pasadena, Deer Park and towns near the channel have schools near high employment areas.

But if you want the 3000+ sq ft house with a yard and a pool, you are going to compromise a bit as there isn't room for that in high employment areas...in a city with 4+ million people. The folks I know who have been happier with that type set up like places like Lake Jackson, Texas City, Beaumont/Port Arthur better.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:22 AM

914 posts, read 1,832,919 times
There are no decent public elementary school options in downtown or midtown. There are some apartments zoned to West University Elementary School on Edloe and Bissonnet. Check out the Village at West University Place and Belmont complexes near West U. They are building some more apartment complexes right now along Bissonnet between Kirby and Weslayan. You can also find some apartments in the Montrose/medical center area that are zoned to Poe Elementary or Roberts Elementary, which are a good elementary schools. The Galleria area has lots of apartments. As the other poster said, Briar Grove Elementary is a good school. If you are looking to enter kindergarten next fall, a lot of the schools are having their kindergarten round ups/preregistration for zoned students now. Some schools may claim to be full, but f you are zoned there, they have to take you.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:11 AM

Katie I thought they did not to take you are zoned. I guess I was always wrong about that. It is a no brainer to pick a complex zoned to West U. It is also an easy drive to downtown. It is one of the best family areas in Houston. If I had kids I would move back there. Though prices are crazy there. Lots are pushing past 105 a sqft.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:56 AM

644 posts, read 1,353,607 times
I live two miles from downtown and I'm very happy with my kids' schools. I have an elementary student and two high school students. They are enrolled in the public schools. HISD. I would say that you can absolutely live close to downtown and find excellent public schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston