Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 11:47 AM

2 posts, read 4,831 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I recently purchased a townhouse with my boyfriend in East Downtown Houston. The reason we bought there was because of the potential for growth in that part of town. Our property is our investment and part of our retirement.

The area is being revitalized in many ways however we recently discovered that a block away from our place, they are building a public housing unit for low-income and homeless families.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely want them to have a place to live and I really admire the people that are making this happen. However, this will lower the value of our home and I am really concerned about crime.

There is already some crime in this area and I would hate there to be more. The plans the mayor has for this part of town are great, especially with the Superbowl coming in 2017.

I know of other neighborhoods that have prevented Public Housing from being built in their neighborhoods and would like to know if any of you have any experience with this.

Who do I contact? Do I start a petition? Do I ask for a town hall meeting? How does one even start a petition?

Please HELP!

Thanks,
EadoResident!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 01:00 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Everyone wants people to have access to affordable housing...except near their property.

Start by writing your city councilman and sending messages to their website. Volume gets you noticed.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:14 PM

2 posts, read 4,831 times
What a great idea. Thanks so much for the feedback.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:38 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Nimby.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:51 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,264,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EadoResident View Post
Hello,

I recently purchased a townhouse with my boyfriend in East Downtown Houston. The reason we bought there was because of the potential for growth in that part of town. Our property is our investment and part of our retirement.

The area is being revitalized in many ways however we recently discovered that a block away from our place, they are building a public housing unit for low-income and homeless families.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely want them to have a place to live and I really admire the people that are making this happen. However, this will lower the value of our home and I am really concerned about crime.

There is already some crime in this area and I would hate there to be more. The plans the mayor has for this part of town are great, especially with the Superbowl coming in 2017.

I know of other neighborhoods that have prevented Public Housing from being built in their neighborhoods and would like to know if any of you have any experience with this.

Who do I contact? Do I start a petition? Do I ask for a town hall meeting? How does one even start a petition?

Please HELP!

Thanks,
EadoResident!
Did you not realize before you bought that EADO is where many of the homeless shelters and kitchens already are? EADO is affordable because its surrounded by industry, homeless shelters, and highway. None of which are good things for your property value.

I know, lots of folks said that EADO is the next Heights - but its not. Not even close. It will appreciate because of its proximity to downtown, but it will be much slower than other areas because of what is all around it.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:54 PM

2,165 posts, read 3,770,875 times
It won't work but you can contact this guy..

Neal Rackleff, Director
City of Houston Housing and
Community Development Department
P.O. Box 1562
Houston, Texas 77251-1562
PHONE: 713.868.8300
EMAIL: hcdd@houstontx.gov

Old 02-10-2014, 01:59 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,693,701 times
You are wasting your time. They are going to build it. Though I have to admit putting in public housing in an area that Houston is trying to revitalize makes no sense at all.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:04 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
You are wasting your time. They are going to build it. Though I have to admit putting in public housing in an area that Houston is trying to revitalize makes no sense at all.
Putting in affordable housing seems to be part of the redevelopment game. Saw the same thing in Chicago.

For instance look at all the shotgun houses that were rebuilt in the 4th ward...what got built afterwards???

Old 02-10-2014, 02:28 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,693,701 times
I am not sure if I agree with that. Those shotgun houses are a blight on the area. There are lots of factors that contribute to an area turning over. I do understand that there is a need for public housing, but no one wants it in their backyard. I know I sure would not. Depending on how close I lived to it I would be putting my place up for sale the instant I heard about the project. It will devalue the townhouse quite a bit.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:05 PM

104 posts, read 176,938 times
There is already public housing in that general area, a little more should not hurt. From the Houston Housing Authority site:

Clayton Homes is located a few blocks from Minute Maid Park on the east side of downtown Houston, at the edge of an area currently experiencing substantial redevelopment. The apartment complex is ideal for families with facilities such as a day care center onsite. Major modernization of the property has been completed in phases and includes the construction of a new community building. Clayton Homes was named in honor of Susan Vahn Clayton, who donated the property to the agency in 1952.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: