Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 03:39 PM

1 posts, read 5,220 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice on walking round Galleria/Uptown. I will be staying in this area for a few weeks until we move into our new home, also I won't have a car for a few weeks either. I am, therefore, having to walk everywhere during the day until such time. My question is how safe area the outlying areas of Galleria/Uptown for a lone woman to walk about during the day. Are there any areas/streets I should avoid. TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 03:44 PM

366 posts, read 797,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malbo123 View Post
Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice on walking round Galleria/Uptown. I will be staying in this area for a few weeks until we move into our new home, also I won't have a car for a few weeks either. I am, therefore, having to walk everywhere during the day until such time. My question is how safe area the outlying areas of Galleria/Uptown for a lone woman to walk about during the day. Are there any areas/streets I should avoid. TIA
The further west you go down Westheimer, the less safe it is as far as crime. Uptown is notorious for the car break-ins, but shouldn't be a problem with walking and not getting robbed. What's not safe is the drivers around uptown, since pedestrians aren't typically on the top of the minds of the distracted drivers in that part of town. So anyway, you're ok if you're really close to the galleria area, but I wouldn't stray too far.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:47 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Even though crime can and will happen anywhere, the galleria area/uptown is pretty safe. Especially in the day time. Former president George Bush the elder lives in the galleria area(tanglewood).

Old 02-12-2014, 03:55 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Its safe. Probably one of the safest areas in Houston because of all the people. I'd stay away from Richmond Ave. though. Something about it just doesn't feel safe to me.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:33 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,493,463 times
In the daytime, the entire galleria and adjacent area inside the loop will be one of the safest areas because of all the people and corporate offices and high end retail around. Sure, random crimes can happen anywhere but if you're just asking about generalizations, it is very safe. By Galleria area, I mean Chimney rock to 610 and IH10 down to Richmond. Yes, Richmond is very safe in that area too, you have Best Buy, Office Depot, Chipotle, Banks etc. Richmond only gets sketchy when you go further west than Fountainview.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:39 PM

311 posts, read 450,647 times
I had a friend whose car was stolen in a gated apartment complex at Greenway. Crime can occur anywhere. Westheimer/Richmond from 610 to the Beltway is not as bad as people say it is. But generally speaking, if you are walking around the Galleria area during daytime it would be fine; I would avoid walking around anywhere at night in uptown because everything is spread out and not within walking distance.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:12 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
No issues during the day. No woman should walk around by themslves after dark anywhere in this city. But I'm sure you feel that. I don't know what you mean by outlying areas though... Along Westhiemer is far too public for anything to happen other than lude comments. Richmond can get a little shady. San Felipe/Post Oak are the most friendly of all the majors.

Walk with purpose, and dressed for the walk.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:54 PM

51 posts, read 89,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Its safe. Probably one of the safest areas in Houston because of all the people. I'd stay away from Richmond Ave. though. Something about it just doesn't feel safe to me.
nah richmond starts getting shady after chimney rock. richmondi n the 77056 and obviously greenway plaza and further east are all pretty good areas.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:43 PM

285 posts, read 567,753 times
The Galleria/Uptown area is one of the safest parts of Houston as far as violent crimes go. As others have said things start getting a bit sketchy about a mile west-southwest of the Galleria itself (south of Richmond, west of Fountain View), but not exactly dangerous either.

By far the biggest risk walking around in the area is all the automobile traffic. The streets are wide, busy, and the drivers are in a hurry...it's generally not a very pedestrian-friendly area.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:52 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,850,609 times
I've lived there a few years now and I feel safe walking around. It's a very busy area so you have to be careful of traffic but I've never felt like I was going to be mugged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston