Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2014, 05:55 AM

702 posts, read 1,237,678 times

Advertisements

I think these need to be changed every month? If so, should I stick with the cheap $2-$3 ones vs the more pricey alternatives? How often does the Merv 11 furnace filter need to be changed? Where can I buy them? I searched HD and Lowes and could not find any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 07:26 AM

682 posts, read 1,942,882 times
The purpose of the filter is to protect the equipment, not clean the air in your home. Purchasing the filters that claim to filter out pollen will reduce the efficiency of your system if it wasn't designed for them. If your system only uses the 1" thick filters, they are really bad, especially the 3M Filtrete filters. The higher the MERV rating the more they filter out and would have to be changed more often to keep your system running efficient. If your system uses the 4" thick filters which are much better, they only need to be changed every 6-12 months. The cheap 1" filters should be changed every month or more often if they get dirty fast (indoor pets).

Old 02-18-2014, 08:01 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,698,192 times
You can get the 4 or 5 inch filters off Amazon. I am not exactly sure where to get them locally. I like them delivered to my door step anyways. As Jason said. You change them 6-12 months. I run a 1 inch charcoal 3M filter at the return and a merv 13 in my attic. If you don't change the 1 inch filter monthly you will lower your efficiency. It also adds a lot of static pressure to your system.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:20 AM

114 posts, read 301,814 times
I did a mistake of purchasing these filters from Home Depot for years...then i realized that i may be spending too much money on the Air Filters.

I am currently using the below item

BRAND : NORDIC - Website - http://nordicpure.com/

Type I am using MERV 12 - Planning to switch to MERV 13

Comparison Between MERV / MPR / FPR Rating of this Brand
http://nordicpure.com/info/whatismerv

Above link will help you compare between Home Depot / Walmart 3M Filterete

Place to buy - AMAZON
Amazon.com: Nordic Pure: Tools & Home Improvement

Old 02-18-2014, 08:21 AM

114 posts, read 301,814 times
By the way - Where is your filters located - on the ceiling or at the Equipment ? Above answer is related to Filters on the Ceiling....
I am sure you can find Thick filter from Nordic too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston