Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 04:27 PM

3 posts, read 3,843 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We've just moved from Ohio and have only searched for homes online. Husband works in The woodlands. Even though it is nice/great, we are drawn more toward the spring/cypress area around 249. Need more of the houston feel and availability.So.....

1. Hows the commute from a subdivision off of 249 to downtown woodlands around 6am? 5pm--6?
2. Any stand out subdivisions to you? if so, why?
3. 1960 is a scary/sad story to newcomers due to the outcome of katrina victims placed here, etc. crime and sex shops are scary to read about. how close can I go? I checked the crime, but I'd like more input if possible.

Have to say that online the prices and awesome houses in champion forest and hunt wick forest had us running there. BUT, it was a few really well kept houses, then a run down one, etc.

we have kids, but they attend a homeschool co op in magnolia that they really like. so i'm driving there as well. but seems like a lot of other families live in spring/cypress/woodlands/magnolia/conroe/etc. they like the YMCA off 249, the lone star library, shopping, vintage, the ice skating rink, etc.

thanks SOOO much!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 06:18 PM

433 posts, read 660,564 times
LMAO at 1960 being scary.....dont ever venture into Houston if that part of town scares you!!!

Old 02-17-2014, 10:56 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Katrina victims in FM1960?
Are you talking about the people that live in Champions Forest?

Old 02-18-2014, 02:30 AM

25 posts, read 30,377 times
I would encourage you to take a drive down Cutten Road just North of FM 1960. One of the prettiest streets in Houston IMHO with a serene park called Cy-Champ. Neighborhoods include Champions Park, Champions Park North, Champions Center, Estates at Champions Park and very nice apartments called Park at Raveneaux. If I didn't insist in living on Cutten I would consider the area bounded by 249 on the West, Louetta Road on the North, Steubner on the East, and 1960 on the South. Lots of nice homes for every budget. Vintage Park has recently taken off adding an Alamo Draft House and Whole Foods is due to open this April. Best of luck!

Old 02-18-2014, 05:09 AM

43 posts, read 55,529 times
I agree with you. Much of 1960, especially as you go closer to 45 is scary looking and I was told Katrina displacements went to that area.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:55 AM

5 posts, read 13,372 times
I would not live in nw houston not the best part of town I love the woodlands though very nice area to live

Old 02-18-2014, 09:08 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,276 times
Oh boy...even Crone is not touching this one even after you mention one of his favorite hood huntwick.

OP, if you are that concern (and you sound like you are), i would not suggest you live around there. Statistically, you probably have .001% higher chance of getting car jacked here so you better lock your door

Why don't you look further up on Cypress or Tomball as either way you are driving. Frankly, I don't know why you think this area is more "Houston" than Woodlands or other parts of North.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:57 AM

23,973 posts, read 15,078,314 times
If your kids are going to school in Magnolia, move there. It is not a 15 minute commute from Magnolia to Champions. You will spend your life in the car.

Jumping right in, the 1960 area was among the many white flight subdivision created when the judge said integrate. Houston, like other places, has changed since then. Allowing the children to watch Sesame Street, Cosby and other liberal tv got them used to minorities.

There is still a remnant of folks like my FiL who don't want to see a minority at the gas station or grocery store. You can't think like that and live in Houston any more. About 30% are still trying. Some of them post here.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:11 AM

27 posts, read 47,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
If your kids are going to school in Magnolia, move there. It is not a 15 minute commute from Magnolia to Champions. You will spend your life in the car.

Jumping right in, the 1960 area was among the many white flight subdivision created when the judge said integrate. Houston, like other places, has changed since then. Allowing the children to watch Sesame Street, Cosby and other liberal tv got them used to minorities.

There is still a remnant of folks like my FiL who don't want to see a minority at the gas station or grocery store. You can't think like that and live in Houston any more. About 30% are still trying. Some of them post here.
^^

Old 02-18-2014, 10:27 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post

Could not have said it better. I think this describe the whole Houston in general and also this forum.

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston