Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 06:55 PM

2 posts, read 6,171 times

Advertisements

Texas Monthly published their list of the top 10 new bars in Texas and four of the top ten are located downtown (Market Square Park area).

The List: Texas

Also, downtown / Market Square will be getting a New Orleans style cafe by April:

The Honeymoon Is Set to Open Downtown This Spring - Coming Attractions - Eater Houston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 10:16 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,695,017 times
All bars I could take a nap in.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:42 AM

693 posts, read 1,107,727 times
I'm not going out of my way to go to a bar in Downtown Houston anytime soon despite living ~10 minutes away. As a rule of thumb you should not pay attention to what Texas Monthly dictates is "cool."

Old 02-19-2014, 12:35 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,695,017 times
There are way better and more fun bars to go to in Houston. I did a downtown tour of most of the bars there over Christmas break. It was not by choice, but my friend loves those bars. Then again different people like different places. They are mostly quiet and dark bars with craft beers and good mixed drinks. I just think there are cooler bars with more character. These bars don't even slightly represent Houston.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:38 PM

433 posts, read 660,512 times
Downtown bars are good for trying good beer and relaxing And possibly talking to older cougars at the hotels LOL

Old 02-19-2014, 12:40 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,144,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo45 View Post
Downtown bars are good for trying good beer and relaxing And possibly talking to older cougars at the hotels LOL
Hopefully ones that have some money.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:42 PM

285 posts, read 567,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
All bars I could take a nap in.
That confirms how little time you've spent in any of them then. OKRA in particular is jam-packed every time I go - and it's getting to the point where it's too crowded to enjoy.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:52 PM

785 posts, read 1,234,534 times
Very cool, I love these bars! Also excited about the new cafe that's planned; I really hope it has lots of curb appeal to help tie the whole block together.

Another thing that we should applaud is the level of collaboration that they have going on in the downtown bar scene. I don't see that anywhere else in Houston, especially not in the gayborhood where one owner (Armstrong) is basically cockblocking the rest of his competitors.

Last edited by crono_clone; 02-19-2014 at 01:33 PM..

Old 02-19-2014, 12:58 PM

785 posts, read 1,234,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
There are way better and more fun bars to go to in Houston. I did a downtown tour of most of the bars there over Christmas break. It was not by choice, but my friend loves those bars. Then again different people like different places. They are mostly quiet and dark bars with craft beers and good mixed drinks. I just think there are cooler bars with more character. These bars don't even slightly represent Houston.
If anything they represent the "old" Houston, which is pretty appropriate since they're all in the historic district. They have plenty of historic character and I love that about them. At Dean's, they still have the very first electric elevator in Houston, which they had converted into a seating area. The bartender was explaining to us that it was designated as an "outdoor" elevator, which is why it had an ashtray built in to the wall.

There was also a very creepy painting of a clown that had been stuck in that elevator for 30 years until they opened it up last year to refurbish it as a seating area. The bartender showed me where they had hung it, and I pretty much couldn't sleep that night because I kept seeing the painting when I would close my eyes, lmao!

Old 02-19-2014, 01:05 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Good to see downtown continue to improve. Would love for Houston to have a vibrant center like other cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston