Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 11:12 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,756,463 times

Advertisements

Being from SoCal I'd say Sugarland will be the easiest transition for you and your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 11:22 AM

551 posts, read 1,573,626 times
I've lived in Pearland since 1999 and came when my childen were 7 and 3. I had another baby in 2000. They've all gone through the school system in Pearland. We have been very happy with the schools and we never have any trouble finding stuff to do. And we know we can always go to Houston if we want. If you don't have to commute everyday the traffic isn't too bad early. Let me know if you would like more info on Pearland. I would choose Pearland anyday over all of your other choices.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:23 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,724,671 times
The Woodlands is much further from downtown than Sugarland. Like, a lot further. Supposedly there is less traffic coming from the Woodlands,but still. It's a long way out. With a budget as big as yours, I would try to live in the city. Bellaire/Meyerland is certainly possible.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:09 PM

705 posts, read 1,259,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTracy View Post
Hello...I am relocating my family to the Houston area and would like some suggestions on a good Houston suburb to raise a young family. I would like an exceptional school district, a reasonable commute to downtown (flexible commute schedule 2x week), house price range $450k, an area that is fun for kids but decent night life for young parents.

I was looking at Pearland and Katy. I've never been to Houston but need to make a trip in the next 2 weeks and I'd like to pick a few areas to visit before we make the big move.

Any suggestions would be so appreciated.

Thank you!

$450k is a great budget in the suburbs but inside the city it will not get you much within "exceptional" school districts. There are some exceptions but it tends to be charter or speciality schools. If you have a flexible commute schedule and can wait until rush hour is over, most of the freeways will be clear and easy. I say most because it seems like 290 is a parking lot anytime the sun is out.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:00 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,017,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiovo View Post
$450k is a great budget in the suburbs but inside the city it will not get you much within "exceptional" school districts.
I disagree. 450k can get you in nice neighborhoods with good schools. It's just that if you are looking for a typical 3000+ sqft suburban house in the city, it's going to cost you a pretty penny. But if you are okay with 2000-2400 sqft there are still several good options for under 450k close to the city.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:14 PM

705 posts, read 1,259,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
I disagree. 450k can get you in nice neighborhoods with good schools. It's just that if you are looking for a typical 3000+ sqft suburban house in the city, it's going to cost you a pretty penny. But if you are okay with 2000-2400 sqft there are still several good options for under 450k close to the city.

OP was asking for "exceptional" schools and I'm assuming they are asking about the public schools. But if there are some neighborhoods close to the city, maybe you can list them so they can take a look when they're in town.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:41 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,805,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiovo View Post
OP was asking for "exceptional" schools and I'm assuming they are asking about the public schools. But if there are some neighborhoods close to the city, maybe you can list them so they can take a look when they're in town.
They may want to check out Meyerland.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:29 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
I don't know the story with the Maplewood South neighborhood there, but the home at 6215 S Braeswood is a foot under 2800 sq ft and pretty nice, IMHO, for $399k.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:47 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTracy View Post
I would like an exceptional school district, a reasonable commute to downtown (flexible commute schedule 2x week), house price range $450k, an area that is fun for kids but decent night life for young parents.

I was looking at Pearland and Katy. I've never been to Houston but need to make a trip in the next 2 weeks and I'd like to pick a few areas to visit before we make the big move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
The two best suburbs are probably Sugar Land and the Woodlands. But to me the Woodlands is too far out, so I would go with Sugar Land.
Agreed. I think Sugar Land should be the first place you look at for that budget. I don't think there's much nightlife in Pearland or Katy; that would be Sugar Land and the Woodlands, but Sugar Land is much closer and more convenient to town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyan View Post
Sugarland is just as far out as the Woodlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyan View Post
I'm sure it has a bit, but you will see much more appreciation with the Woodlands. The Woodlands prices will reach higher than that of Sugarland . I'm giving the OP the heads up that he/she will see more return. I think Sugarland is a great suburb, I just wouldn't put my money there while there's some great fresh up and coming neighborhoods in the making that can give them that 'added bonus'.
I have no idea where you get any of this misinformation.

First of all, Sugar Land is not just as far out as the Woodlands; the center of Sugar Land is 20 miles from downtown Houston, while the center of The Woodlands is 30 miles out, which makes Sugar Land 2/3 the distance of the Woodlands from downtown. Not to mention Sugar Land is much closer to most of Houston's areas of interest such as the Museum District, Zoo, Medical District, Galleria area, Energy Corridor and Westchase.

As to the rest on appreciation, not sure what basis you have for that either. The City of Sugar Land has run out of land; the prices just keep going up, and people are starting to have to move to neighboring areas such as neighborhoods with Richmond addresses.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:43 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,129,693 times
The advice on this one seems all over the map (pun intended), the Woodlands is not the place I'd commute downtown from. And I'm struggling to find any area with good K-12 schools for $450K anywhere near the loop.

For that price, realistically, you're outside of the beltway. If you just look at elementary and then lottery into a magnet program for middle on then yes, that's doable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston