Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 06:57 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
Where does it say an urban area has to have narrow streets, no cars, and lots of pedestrians? By that definition most third world villages could be described as urban!

So, if high rises and offices don't make it urban, what does?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Lol, because they don't have the type of sidewalks you want then that makes it suburban?
I can't believe I have to explain this.

Urban has always meant dense, narrow streets, a place were it's easier to walk to the store than to drive. That is not Uptown at all. Westheimer is a wide fast moving street with no storefronts up to the street. Post Oak is full of strip centers and suburban office park in Four Oaks Place and even Williams Tower. San Felipe is full of parking lots as well with condo dwellers driving around everywhere. Sage has a little going on but still no pedestrian activity an wide, fast moving streets. Downtown is urban, Midtown is urban, EaDo is urban, Uptown is about as urban as Upper Kirby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 07:25 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,132,383 times
You confusing 'walkable' with urban, not the same thing.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:34 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I can't believe I have to explain this.

Urban has always meant dense, narrow streets, a place were it's easier to walk to the store than to drive. That is not Uptown at all. Westheimer is a wide fast moving street with no storefronts up to the street. Post Oak is full of strip centers and suburban office park in Four Oaks Place and even Williams Tower. San Felipe is full of parking lots as well with condo dwellers driving around everywhere. Sage has a little going on but still no pedestrian activity an wide, fast moving streets. Downtown is urban, Midtown is urban, EaDo is urban, Uptown is about as urban as Upper Kirby.
We'll have to agree to disagree. Because if that's the case then besides downtown then the whole city is suburban. People need to stop trying to compare Houston to NY or Chicago or Boston. This city was built for cars, even in Midtown people drive everywhere. I'm in Midtown a lot, and i see very few people actually walking to go shopping, clubbing, going to work.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:35 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Quote:
^^^^^^this.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:53 PM

99 posts, read 151,382 times
Quote:
^^^^^^this.
Very very True. Also people are ignoring that cities like NY, SF, Seattle are walkable because they have a good public transportation system. That way people can get from point A to point B and then explore point B by walking around and then taking a bus/train to point C. That negates the need of a car and thus you find more people walking around.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:16 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
We'll have to agree to disagree. Because if that's the case then besides downtown then the whole city is suburban. People need to stop trying to compare Houston to NY or Chicago or Boston. This city was built for cars, even in Midtown people drive everywhere. I'm in Midtown a lot, and i see very few people actually walking to go shopping, clubbing, going to work.
Well the city is suburban. Houston is very much known as a suburban in nature city. It's why when there are discussions on the top urban cities, Houston is never brought up. That doesn't make Houston less of a city. Just different. Houston is a product of the era it grew in. Just like Phoenix, Dallas, Atlanta, and Charlotte.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:21 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Most of Houston is unwalkable anyway. Narrow sidewalks to no sidewalks at all in some neighborhoods. Many just outright disappear. You have to walk in the street and compete with cars flying down streets at 35 mph in some areas. Personally, I don't think Houston will see an increase of urbanity outside the loop. Inside of it, it can become this nation's next new great urban area.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:34 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
This plan will be great for increasing density and urbanity in the Uptown area though. Uptown is densifying with developments like Blvd Place, High Street/River Oaks, and this plan. The main thing that is missing in Uptown and probably the majority of Houston is a cohesive mobility plan (people mover). BRT is a good start but i'm hoping much more for Houston than that. Perhaps either lightrail, streetcar or trolley system in the Uptown area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston