Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 02:07 AM

6 posts, read 28,460 times

Advertisements

i am looking into moving to the galleria area. mainly because i like the area, and it seems to be less crimey. i usually go out there once a week to shop and eat at great places, and i never have problems. i never see suspicious activity.

i don't mind spending a decent amount of my income on a decent place to live.

any help? any comments? please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 06:53 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamscientist View Post
i am looking into moving to the galleria area. mainly because i like the area, and it seems to be less crimey ... i never see suspicious activity.

No crime?

Houston Crime Maps | Super Neighborhood | Greater Uptown

A burglary of a car or home happens here in Uptown almost every day. But the people who live here will likely never tell you that because they don't want to believe it after spending as much money they do in rent.

Although I will say you can find crime anywhere if you look for it.

Last edited by tstone; 11-28-2007 at 07:02 AM..

Old 11-28-2007, 07:04 AM

6 posts, read 28,460 times
i said less crimey and that i never saw any of it occuring.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamscientist View Post
i said less crimey and that i never saw any of it occuring.
I'm sorry... but I don't think it's less "crimey" than many other places around town, but it's probably not more "crimey" either. The crime stats speak for themselves. Whether you choose to believe it, or put your head in the sand and deny it is your choice. But it's definitely a great place to work, shop and visit during the holidays, though. That's all i can say about it, honestly.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:16 AM

13 posts, read 43,019 times
I suppose if one must be robbed, raped, or shot, it is a LOT nicer to have it done in/near the Galleria area than in an some East End dilapidated strip mall, huh?

Old 11-28-2007, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strategizer View Post
I suppose if one must be robbed, raped, or shot, it is a LOT nicer to have it done in/near the Galleria area than in an some East End dilapidated strip mall, huh?

Yeah, I guess if you must go out, may as well do it in style... with your $200 shirt and $300 pants from Nordstrom!

Old 11-28-2007, 07:24 AM

13 posts, read 43,019 times
Also, in the Galleria area, I would think if you had to give someone the "Joe Horn" treatment, they'd be a lot more understanding since they have more and nicer property to protect.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:17 PM

7 posts, read 24,081 times
I am a Realtor in the Galleria area. It truly depends where you live in the area and if you have a garage for your vehicle, etc. As we all know, crime is everywhere whether it is sex offenders, mischevious people, or whatever else. The key is to know yourself and what steps you will take to protect yourself.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:59 PM

151 posts, read 640,965 times
I would advise you to be careful when doing your search of places online. Many listings will claim to be located in the Galleria when they're not.

Another thing to caution you about is the traffic - it can be a nightmare to get in and around the Galleria during peak shopping and dining times.

Good luck!!

...Also, re: the crime, the stats show that most crime in Uptown takes place in parking lots (malls, restaurant, apartments). Just a reminder to be alert when walking to your car and never leave valuable items in plain view no matter where you are.

Last edited by ericka709; 11-29-2007 at 06:05 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add...

Old 11-29-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericka709 View Post
I would advise you to be careful when doing your search of places online. Many listings will claim to be located in the Galleria when they're not.

Another thing to caution you about is the traffic - it can be a nightmare to get in and around the Galleria during peak shopping and dining times.

Good luck!!

...Also, re: the crime, the stats show that most crime in Uptown takes place in parking lots (malls, restaurant, apartments). Just a reminder to be alert when walking to your car and never leave valuable items in plain view no matter where you are.

I can attest to this post. And ''valuable items'' means a $125 Pioneer CD player, too.

It takes me 15 minutes from the time I start my engine to the time I'm on the 610 freeway ramp into Bellaire. That's a 2 mile stoplight & merging quest at 5pm. So let's see... that averages about 8 mph.

The "outer Galleria," which is not true Uptown, is really just the beginning of SW side crap. Sometimes those rental sites may say a place is in Uptown to drum up business. The SW corner of Uptown is probably 2 miles from the start of this big area. So I wouldn't doubt the crime migrates outta there.

People in Uptown mostly still depend on their cars because side-walking the streets and crossing 10 lanes at a light can be very unpleasant. So the parking lots are a part of life here away from home... for food, gas, gym, shop, salon, etc. Most of the crime takes place in the parking lots. Draw your own conclusion.

I'd say young, single females should use caution but carry themselves confidently. And like I said in a previous post, you can see plenty of them carry their keys like ready eye-gougers. Or clutch those leather ''mace'' pouches the same way they hold their Starbucks cups in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysmith
The key is to know yourself and what steps you will take to protect yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston