Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are parks being overdone in Houston?
yes 5 7.04%
no 64 90.14%
undecided 2 2.82%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 03:13 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Well? It seems like there is a plan for a new park in just about every part of the city. Although the Midtown superblock park plan is great, it seems to be a replica of discovery green on a smaller scale. It's kind of beginning to feel redundant and taking the originality out of great parks like Discovery Green. I'd rather see a park than a PARKing lot though.

But if there's too many, it's really hard to get excited about it.. If you want a park, there's enough in the suburbs. You come to the city to walk, shop, mingle, entertain, etc. Pretty soon we're going to be known as PARKCITY USA.

Jus sayin

stone
I'm not sure how you can not want as many parks as possible. They increase QOL, property values, and encourage more walking if built properly. It's like being against rail because you want people to walk instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 03:30 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,194,811 times
I am fine with PARKCITY. Not a horrible thing to be known for.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:41 PM

659 posts, read 1,376,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I think the point that was being made is that this city still needs to urbanize.
I can dig it; but we're over retailed IMO. I don't think adding retail would be the best way to urbanize. Transit oriented living, more museums, galleries and parks would be nice...

Old 02-22-2014, 08:42 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,901,648 times
Almost seems like a Troll question. Was at Discovery Green this AM, in from the burbs, and the prospect of living in the adjacent high-rises seemed so much more palatable with the park there. Lived next to Herman previously, and just the park part was a fantastic amenity. Love to bike and jog greenways, and even pocket-parks are a great way to relieve the closed-in feeling of the city.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:22 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
I can dig it; but we're over retailed IMO. I don't think adding retail would be the best way to urbanize. Transit oriented living, more museums, galleries and parks would be nice...
I do see your point. It's not as if we're really lacking in the number of places to eat and shop. But the ideal situation would be to build these storefronts and get owners to move in them, so all of these strip malls can be demolished and swept away into the past.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:13 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
i think this is the point i was trying to make in my original post. Not enough street level retail to encourage street activity. And the parks are just starting to feel like a cheap filler or easy way out.
Thy don't relate. Yes Houston needs more street front retail. But that's on the developers as much as it is the city if not more. Such as so many of these new apartments going up with no retail on the bottom.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:17 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,725,264 times
I have a better question: "Is Houston starting to overdo the shopping plaza thing?"

Old 02-23-2014, 10:45 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,270,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgto View Post
Almost seems like a Troll question. Was at Discovery Green this AM, in from the burbs, and the prospect of living in the adjacent high-rises seemed so much more palatable with the park there. Lived next to Herman previously, and just the park part was a fantastic amenity. Love to bike and jog greenways, and even pocket-parks are a great way to relieve the closed-in feeling of the city.
Troll question? Kinda harsh don't you think? lol

Old 02-24-2014, 11:53 AM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
I'll never understand why anybody would complain about "too many trees" in South Texas

Old 02-24-2014, 02:03 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'll never understand why anybody would complain about "too many trees" in South Texas
Well, we're not in South Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston