Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 04:40 PM

21 posts, read 23,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyan View Post
Where are you from originally? any family here in Texas? Use Couchsurfer for places to stay temporarily. How reliable is your truck? There are many restaurants looking for delivery drivers, usually some of these restaurants will feed you for free too, so you won't be looking at major food costs atm. Let me know what area of town you will be staying in and I'll try and send you a list of few restaurants hiring wait staff.
I came from Upstate South Carolina (I've lived all over though). I am a city girl and have been living in tiny towns for 7 years now ( wasn't by choice, just circumstance). I do not know anyone in Houston, I picked Houston simply based on 4 criteria;
-I hate the cold so temps no less then 50 on average
-flat; I used to be in great shape and cycled a lot of miles but now I am overweight and out of shape. Upstate SC is very hilly and just about killed me, I needed a good incentive to go out and ride even though I enjoy it.
-JOBS!!!!! Something small towns don't have.
- a university with an accredited architecture program.

I have a account with couchsurfer but because of the dog and cat it's nearly impossible. Right now, I could use a shower more then anything... 2 days on the road and sleeping in my truck for 2 weeks has been interesting but I've done it before (yes I've bathed, only a few days ago, not 2 weeks LOL). Could probably use a good laundromat though.

The truck is good a 98 Dodge ext. But I'm a bit worried about the bearings and these horrible roads. I see all these little sporty cars on the roads and feel sorry for them (the car, not the idiot that thought it would be a good idea to own one here).

I suppose delivery driving would be fine as a temp job.... done it before (even in a city I didn't know at all) until I could find something else. If I don't find anything to rent for some time, I'm not sure how they would feel about my pets riding with the food. I could buy a rubbermaid tub to fit on the back seat to put the food in while delivering....
but would you order from a place that had pets in the delivery vehicle?

Old 02-22-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
She prefers mom and pop places. Don't you prefer certain employers? Internet is free at most apartment complex lobbies and I used to sit outside of Barnes and Nobles for hours soaking up the web in my car.

Get off your high horse.
I've never been hired at a corporate owned anything (not without trying either), well actually I was hired by Barnes and Nobles many years ago (but that's probably because I love books and read voraciously). I like the owner/ Op places best, atmosphere, employees and patrons etc.

I have a laptop and a smartphone. There are lot's of "free internet" parking lots !
Libraries are also great too. I saw quite a number of them in the university area and Montrose.... but really can go anywhere, wondering which libraries are best.
I'm thinking he/she is just jealous or something, maybe of my dog? The truck? Weird.

Anyway, it looks like I'm going to have to look for work first... hope they don't mind a bit of pet hair.

Note to self "buy pet hair roller sticky thing"

Old 02-22-2014, 05:19 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,784,699 times
High horse? We get many of these 'How is Houston, I have few skills and want to move to a cool place in the city for cheap' threads. I'm not sure if any big city (Seattle or new Orleans, where op has been) has that for under 400/month. Try the Star of Hope mission just east of downtown to get a plan.

Old 02-22-2014, 05:28 PM

370 posts, read 608,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GipsiChik View Post
I came from Upstate South Carolina (I've lived all over though). I am a city girl and have been living in tiny towns for 7 years now ( wasn't by choice, just circumstance). I do not know anyone in Houston, I picked Houston simply based on 4 criteria;
-I hate the cold so temps no less then 50 on average
-flat; I used to be in great shape and cycled a lot of miles but now I am overweight and out of shape. Upstate SC is very hilly and just about killed me, I needed a good incentive to go out and ride even though I enjoy it.
-JOBS!!!!! Something small towns don't have.
- a university with an accredited architecture program.

I have a account with couchsurfer but because of the dog and cat it's nearly impossible. Right now, I could use a shower more then anything... 2 days on the road and sleeping in my truck for 2 weeks has been interesting but I've done it before (yes I've bathed, only a few days ago, not 2 weeks LOL). Could probably use a good laundromat though.

The truck is good a 98 Dodge ext. But I'm a bit worried about the bearings and these horrible roads. I see all these little sporty cars on the roads and feel sorry for them (the car, not the idiot that thought it would be a good idea to own one here).

I suppose delivery driving would be fine as a temp job.... done it before (even in a city I didn't know at all) until I could find something else. If I don't find anything to rent for some time, I'm not sure how they would feel about my pets riding with the food. I could buy a rubbermaid tub to fit on the back seat to put the food in while delivering....
but would you order from a place that had pets in the delivery vehicle?
Do you know what part of town you are currently located?

In Houston you're allowed to have your truck parked at Walmart at anytime, so you can sleep in your truck there temporarily. I myself am in the process of moving homes and don't have a place of my own otherwise I would not mind at all giving you a shower to use. Sorry. In the Midtown/Montrose area, that Is where the most delivery restaurants in Houston are. Use this website GrubHub.com to check out Delivery restaurants in the 77006 Zip code (that is the Montrose zip code) Call them and ask them if they are hiring delivery drivers. Since drivers change so often here, your bound to find a job because it's a decent temp job.

I do think they will have issues with your dog riding along, either don't tell them or figure out how to store the food in a container in the back of the truck (there are foil box containers that maintain heat, I know restaurant stores and sams club sell them) you might have to spend $30 - 40 but it'll be an investment worth it.

Architecture, UH has a notable program. So check that out

Old 02-22-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Do you know what part of town you are currently located?

In Houston you're allowed to have your truck parked at Walmart at anytime, so you can sleep in your truck there temporarily. I myself am in the process of moving homes and don't have a place of my own otherwise I would not mind at all giving you a shower to use. Sorry. In the Midtown/Montrose area, that Is where the most delivery restaurants in Houston are. Use this website GrubHub.com to check out Delivery restaurants in the 77006 Zip code (that is the Montrose zip code) Call them and ask them if they are hiring delivery drivers. Since drivers change so often here, your bound to find a job because it's a decent temp job.

I do think they will have issues with your dog riding along, either don't tell them or figure out how to store the food in a container in the back of the truck (there are foil box containers that maintain heat, I know restaurant stores and sams club sell them) you might have to spend $30 - 40 but it'll be an investment worth it.

Architecture, UH has a notable program. So check that out
Right this minute I am at a gas station south of bwy 8. Yes I know all about Wally Worlds parking lots. Slept at the one off Timberlane? Timberline? Something like that last night.... it was a bit noisy until around 1am ish.
I've also had luck at Lowes too (but haven't tried that here). Any suggestions on a better Walmart or is that the best one (saw the one by 45 and West, wasn't impressed by the parking lot seemed small to the me.)

Truck stops have great showers albeit a bit expensive, so I take a very long , hot shower to get my moneys worth LOL

Will check out the GrubHub sounds great!
also the heat retaining foil boxes are a great idea.... I could try to make room in the back of the truck.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:30 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,784,699 times
No one will hire you to deliver food with animals in your car. Go to a shelter and get cleaned up (just east of the Astros baseball stadium). https://www.sohmission.org/NetCommunity//

Many restaurant type places are hiring, drive on Shepherd st. tomorrow.

Last edited by Oildog; 02-22-2014 at 06:54 PM..

Old 02-22-2014, 06:41 PM

370 posts, read 608,788 times
Quote:
Right this minute I am at a gas station south of bwy 8. Yes I know all about Wally Worlds parking lots. Slept at the one off Timberlane? Timberline? Something like that last night.... it was a bit noisy until around 1am ish.
I've also had luck at Lowes too (but haven't tried that here). Any suggestions on a better Walmart or is that the best one (saw the one by 45 and West, wasn't impressed by the parking lot seemed small to the me.)

Truck stops have great showers albeit a bit expensive, so I take a very long , hot shower to get my moneys worth LOL

Will check out the GrubHub sounds great!
also the heat retaining foil boxes are a great idea.... I could try to make room in the back of the truck.
Yeah, Truck stop showers can get somewhat pricey if you use them too often

Geographically, this Walmart would be good for you if you can find a delivery job temporarily. It's a newer walmart too, not so sure about size but its closest to the Montrose area

111 Yale St
Houston, TX 77007

Walmart on Dunvale has a huge lot too, that would be further west though, about 15 minutes.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:47 PM

960 posts, read 2,738,027 times
You should go.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Yeah, Truck stop showers can get somewhat pricey if you use them too often

Geographically, this Walmart would be good for you if you can find a delivery job temporarily. It's a newer walmart too, not so sure about size but its closest to the Montrose area

111 Yale St
Houston, TX 77007

Walmart on Dunvale has a huge lot too, that would be further west though, about 15 minutes.
I'm at a Walmart now that's actually pretty good. Some of the lights are out in one section so it's a bit darker in this corner. Some of them can be bright enough to feel like daytime....lol
I wonder if there is a walmartparkinglot.com website where you can read reviews from overnighters......LOL
Will try the one in Montrose tomorrow night. I drove quite a bit of Yale last night, I must have been going the other direction from Montrose.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:14 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,403,683 times
Quote:
I'm at a Walmart now that's actually pretty good. Some of the lights are out in one section so it's a bit darker in this corner. Some of them can be bright enough to feel like daytime....lol
I wonder if there is a walmartparkinglot.com website where you can read reviews from overnighters......LOL
Will try the one in Montrose tomorrow night. I drove quite a bit of Yale last night, I must have been going the other direction from Montrose.
I wish you the best of luck on your journey in Houston. Once you are more stable financially I can tell you that Houston is a great city to make it in. You have many career options and colleges to choose from that offer all types of great career degrees. If you have drive and motivation Houston is the city that you can create a life of success in. I am living proof of this

University of Houston has a College of Architecture. I know nothing about their programs but I don't think it would be a waste of your time to look into it.

University of Houston - College of Architecture

There are plenty of good ole mom and pop restaurants all over that city as well. I had a friend that worked at the Goode Co Seafood on Kirby and would make at times 300$ on a good shift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston