Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 04:20 PM

11 posts, read 13,922 times

Advertisements

Hello, my name is gregg.

I'm a currently a student in the University of Puerto Rico-Mayaguez, i'm enrolled in a bs electrical engineering. To my understanding my university offer one of the top bachelors in engineering. Do to personal reasons i want to move out of the island and start a new life. Im going to be 21 by the time i move to texas if everything goes as plan. The economical situation here in Puerto rico is extremely bad. I have no job, no money and my grades are suffering from all the stress and bad things that happen here. Crime is at an all time high, everything is priced really high.

My plan is to try and apply to University of Houston, BS Computer engineering technology. My cousin will be doing the same thing with me. I have searched around but still haven't found a specific answer. I want to know what options for housing do i have for students outside the university. How hard will it be for me to find a part time job. How much money do you think i should have initially. Here in PR they offer Vocational Rehabilitation services for people with disabilities in with the help you with money. I'm in the program because of my stutter. Does texas have a similar program.

Im looking to start fresh, and the university of houston seems to offer what i want. Plus i have read that texas is one of the best places to move to right now. This is if the university accepts my application. I know it will be hard at first, but what are your opinion and advices for a full time student moving to texas.

Thx and sorry for my english is a little rusty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 04:48 PM

116 posts, read 196,463 times
Not to pry, but is there a specific reason why you are changing majors in mid-stream? EE's are in great demand, high salaries, etc. There are several excellent engineering schools in Texas, albeit not in Houston: University of Texas - Austin has an outstanding program as does Texas A&M. It just doesn't seem practical to start over, IMHO.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:07 PM

Well I know they are in demand but I dont like electrical engeniriing, my pasion is computers. I havent look at other university is texas but ill take a look at the requiarements since my grades arent the best at this moment. They have been porly due to my situation

Old 02-23-2014, 06:20 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,277,353 times
You hopefully are aware that engineering and engineering technology are similar subjects but different levels of math rigor. That being said, the University of Houston has respectable programs in both engineering and engineering technology. I think you can find what you need on the internet by searching for "university of Houston housing" and also "disability services." UH is building new housing as we speak so that would not be an issue. Also contact financial aid to see if they can help with any form of employment. You really want your financial situation to be as concrete as possible before a huge move.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:40 PM

to my understanding engineering technology is more hands on while traditional engineering is more theory which i don't like. I know it may be harder for me with a degree in engineering technology since people still don't think of them as true engineers. Also if i manage to go to UH the only difference in the math classes are calculus 3 and the physics that i plan to take the ones in the engineering major. DO any of you think i can get a master with a bs in engineering technology.
Thx for the info on the financial advice. The only way ill go is if my financial situation is better than here and thats a good possibility.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:30 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,947,528 times
University of Houston : Apply as an International Student - University of Houston

Here is a link for applying to UH as an international student. If grades are low, then maybe look at other schools like community colleges.

They can better answer your housing and job placement questions than this forum.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:37 PM

Im going to call tomorrow to see if i have to apply as an international student. My grades are low but i have the needed gpa for the program i want.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:38 PM

Any good places close to UH i dont want to have to deal with the university rules for my living arrangements

Old 02-24-2014, 12:52 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,455,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greye05 View Post
Any good places close to UH i dont want to have to deal with the university rules for my living arrangements
Lots of housing options near UH for students.

Apartments Near University of Houston - Off Campus Housing Texas

Old 02-24-2014, 04:25 AM

thx for the link man
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: