Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 12:25 PM

705 posts, read 1,260,162 times

Advertisements

How do you get into your neighborhood? With a remote to open the gate? If you don't have the remote with you, what are your other options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 12:33 PM

238 posts, read 696,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiovo View Post
How do you get into your neighborhood? With a remote to open the gate? If you don't have the remote with you, what are your other options?
I have EZ tag and it opens the gate. But the EZ tag (or smart card) has to be set up in the system, and that's for residents only. Visitors don't have this option and need to enter the gate code.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:39 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,298,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekbiker View Post
Do you have to press 9 or some number in order to open the gate for your visitors after they dial the gate code? I was wondering if pressing 9 from your phone works even with call forwarding?
Yes they dial a 4 digit number usually after the pound sign. The virtual google number gets forwarded to my cell phone. I enter '19' from my phone and the gate opens. The virtual number from google voice is free. You can register for local number whatever area code you like and it has call forwarding option for free as well.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTony View Post
Yes they dial a 4 digit number usually after the pound sign. The virtual google number gets forwarded to my cell phone. I enter '19' from my phone and the gate opens. The virtual number from google voice is free. You can register for local number whatever area code you like and it has call forwarding option for free as well.
Nice, I'll try it tonight or tomorrow... and if this works, I'm gonna celebrate by throwing a party!

Old 02-24-2014, 12:50 PM

430 posts, read 1,256,930 times
Our gated community works the same way. Residents' EZTag numbers are entered into the system so the gates open automatically when the sensor reads the tag. Guests dial a number on the keypad which rings on my cell phone; I press 9 and the gates open for them. However, we also have a 4-digit code to give to family members or for those residents who don't have EZTag. I can't imagine your community doesn't have a 4-digit code for those without EZTag. Tell the completely incompetent woman at the office that you have a car without EZTag and need the 4-digit code to get in. Then give that code to those you trust.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCatherine View Post
Tell the completely incompetent woman at the office that you have a car without EZTag and need the 4-digit code to get in. Then give that code to those you trust.
She will just say to use the smart card she gave me. They know not all residents have EZ tag, so they give smart cards to all residents, where you just wave it in front of the sensor and the gate opens.

They aren't going to give out a 4 digit code, no matter how much I chew her out at her office.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:12 PM

705 posts, read 1,260,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCatherine View Post
However, we also have a 4-digit code to give to family members or for those residents who don't have EZTag. I can't imagine your community doesn't have a 4-digit code for those without EZTag. Tell the completely incompetent woman at the office that you have a car without EZTag and need the 4-digit code to get in. Then give that code to those you trust.

This. There has to be another way into your community besides the eztag. OP, if you were in a different car (friend's, loaner, rental etc) how would you get it?

When we have issues we deal with our neighborhood management company and the HOA is a board usually consisting of residents, that is voted in by the residents. If this lady is on the HOA board, make sure other residents know how unhelpful she is and get someone to run against her.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiovo View Post
This. There has to be another way into your community besides the eztag. OP, if you were in a different car (friend's, loaner, rental etc) how would you get it?

When we have issues we deal with our neighborhood management company and the HOA is a board usually consisting of residents, that is voted in by the residents. If this lady is on the HOA board, make sure other residents know how unhelpful she is and get someone to run against her.
As mentioned, I have a smart card where I just wave it in front of the sensor in front of the gate, and it opens. If you've ever used the METRO bus, you have a Q-fare card where you just wave it in front of the sensor as you get on the bus. It's the same thing.

Here's the thing about this HOA. I don't know the names of the board of directors, and I have no way of contacting them. The only phone number I have leads to this lady at the office. I don't think she is on the board because she "doesn't know anything". Other neighbors agree... she's awful. I feel like there's a big wall between the residents and the HOA here.

I'm seriously considering running for a position on the board so I can crack the whip and make sure this HOA does its job and works for the residents. I'm paying almost $1000/yr in dues, so I expect the very best from them.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:04 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,095,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekbiker View Post
As mentioned, I have a smart card where I just wave it in front of the sensor in front of the gate, and it opens. If you've ever used the METRO bus, you have a Q-fare card where you just wave it in front of the sensor as you get on the bus. It's the same thing.

Here's the thing about this HOA. I don't know the names of the board of directors, and I have no way of contacting them. The only phone number I have leads to this lady at the office. I don't think she is on the board because she "doesn't know anything". Other neighbors agree... she's awful. I feel like there's a big wall between the residents and the HOA here.

I'm seriously considering running for a position on the board so I can crack the whip and make sure this HOA does its job and works for the residents. I'm paying almost $1000/yr in dues, so I expect the very best from them.
I don't understand. Are you a homeowner? And therefore a member of the HOA? And yet have no contact info for the HOA board? How can you run for a position on a board that you can't contact?

Old 02-24-2014, 02:19 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,583 times
wow this completely blows. it's really great having the convenience of having the remotes + extra remotes @$20 each, we have the intercom/dial 9 thing and also the 6digit key which is perfect for relatives and frequent visitors (and craigslist buyers), as well as biking/jogging outside the neighborhood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston