Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 10:57 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,726,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
What it's going to take is a genuine Houstonian who has that craft and enough pull in Hollywood to make that happen.
Which probably wont happen. I can think of one time when it has happened (Rushmore) where they didnt make a Texas city look like it was full of buffoons.

At the end of the day, presenting Houston as it is wont sell any tickets. Making Houston look stereotypical Texan will. They will go with the later.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:08 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,328,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Which probably wont happen. I can think of one time when it has happened (Rushmore) where they didnt make a Texas city look like it was full of buffoons.

At the end of the day, presenting Houston as it is wont sell any tickets. Making Houston look stereotypical Texan will. They will go with the later.
I disagree. Every city has had stereotypes that it has had to overcome. New Orleans is doing it right now.

Rushmore was one. Terms of Endearment was another good one. Sugar Hill (1974) has somewhat of a cult following nowadays. I wouldn't say that it can never happen. All it takes is an entertaining story.

A stoner/fratboy film may be the way to go. Those things have almost become the most culturally relevant genre of film there is today. Someone call Judd Apatow.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:09 AM

6,288 posts, read 7,491,861 times
Quote:
No, trust me you DONT want it. All that will happen is that Hollywood will protray Houston as a backward, cowboy, redneck town because thats what they like to do to non-Austin Texas cities. Look at the Dallas Buyers Club and the TV show Dallas. Dallas isnt even remotely like those show and yet, because of them, now everyone outside of Texas thinks Dallas is like that.

I ask Houstonians, do you really want that? All that Hollywood will do is play to the stereotypes.
The Dallas buyers Club is up for all kinds of Academy awards you know. I have not seen the movie but it seems to be a good thing at this point. I watched the TV show Dallas last night and it seems to be a total rehash of the 80's show with less interesting younger characters. I laughed when the young John Ross proclaimed that Ewing oil was going to be bigger than Exxon and BP, then later in the show decided by himself to drill on South Fork OMG but Bobby said it best when he said, that John Ross isn't half the man his daddy was.. This show isn't half the show the former was either.

but by and large Dallas has done well in the media. If you can't draw interest in fact, do it in fiction I guess.

Quote:

Wes Anderson and Richard Linklater are both native Houstonians and have produced other films in Houston and will produce more in the future. Linklater founded the Austin Film Society which ahs served Austin well. I think Houston needs something similar and will get it when the time is right..

Old 02-25-2014, 11:13 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,549,090 times
We truly suck if we couldn't be part of this redneck realityTV era

Old 02-25-2014, 11:29 AM

6,288 posts, read 7,491,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
We truly suck if we couldn't be part of this redneck realityTV era
There really isn't/wasn't any room for Houston in the Red neck reality genre. There are a lot of areas more red-neck than us. Besides I don't think missing out on this is a bad thing anyway.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:42 AM

328 posts, read 471,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
We had "Lone Star" a few years back. It lasted what, two episodes?

Agree with general sentiment of this thread, NO THANKS.
I wonder why the show was set in Houston but filmed in DFW.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Star_(TV_series)

Does Houston offer incentives to the film and TV industry? Is there an infrastructure in place to promote the city such as there is in north Texas?
Dallas Film Commission

I'm sure Houstonians would welcome a high-quality TV drama or feature set/filmed in Houston.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:44 AM

498 posts, read 837,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
What it's going to take is a genuine Houstonian who has that craft and enough pull in Hollywood to make that happen.
If Wes Anderson can't get it done, then it likely can't be done. Between him and Beyonce, you'd think Houston would at least be the back drop more often.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:03 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,328,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmj View Post
If Wes Anderson can't get it done, then it likely can't be done. Between him and Beyonce, you'd think Houston would at least be the back drop more often.
A lot of people simply don't make the connection between Beyonce and Houston. Sure, she's a proud native and the city definitely influenced her artistry, but it's not as if she's an active local.

Frankly, Wes Anderson started something that he needs help finishing. Houston needs someone who is to this city what Woody Allen and Spike Lee were to New York; someone who can turn this city into a canvas for pop culture. All it takes is one man with a vision.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:01 PM

960 posts, read 2,748,984 times
Instead of waiting for it to come out on trashy realty TV shows, you'll see a lot of wealth and glamour if you live in the right neighborhood, go to elite private schools, and go to $10,000-a-table charity balls.

Did you know that many wealthy people do not watch realty TV shows? Why should they; they live through it.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:15 PM

370 posts, read 612,500 times
We are on TV, Ever watch "Cheaters"? Most of those episodes are filmed in Houston and Dallas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston