Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 09:36 AM

399 posts, read 641,817 times

Advertisements

Oh but dont forget how great Erika Rose made the folks from Houston look when she was on the Bachelor... Urggg! We do need some positive TV exposure. Years ago Houston med center residents were on a reality show. I beleive it was called ER.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:02 PM

561 posts, read 972,485 times
Houston's in the background and rarely on the psyche of the American public. It doesn't have the exposure that cities that are much smaller do(Miami, SF, NOLA, DC, Atlanta, Boston, Austin etc.) because there isn't really anything extreme or unique about Houston, and most of all there isn't a huge tourist type attraction.

Houston is a great place to make money and raise a family. It has all the amenities that other cities have. Just nothing that make people want to take a one off vacation and a crazy getaway.

And seeing as Oil and Gas isn't a glamorous, sexy way to make money Houston doesn't get the positive image that many would like. How many O&G companies put national ads out? They know what they do is under constant scrutiny and whenever an O&G company is in the news, its almost always for something negative. But, Houstonians know that it is a necessary and vital part of not only the economy of this region but on a national and international level, but we're talking glamour and PR, those realms simply dont care for that.

Also considering that our sports team are downright astounding at underachieving, it's no surprise that Houston isn't in the limelight too often. And with the downsizing of NASA we fade even further into the background as we grow richer and more populous.

PS: For those that are finding lists of the limited number of TV shows or Movies that were filmed here, please know that your actually feeding into the idea that Houston is not in the limelight. Compare that to say Chicago, or Boston, or Miami. Anyone can come up with a list of almost anything to make a point.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:04 PM

179 posts, read 247,284 times
reak fgousewifes of sagemonr????//

Old 02-26-2014, 03:23 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Anybody like how Jason's Lyric portrayed Houston?

Old 02-26-2014, 04:54 PM

6,291 posts, read 7,498,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post

That's probably more notoriety than most people think
Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
Houston's in the background and rarely on the psyche of the American public. It doesn't have the exposure that cities that are much smaller do(Miami, SF, NOLA, DC, Atlanta, Boston, Austin etc.) because there isn't really anything extreme or unique about Houston, and most of all there isn't a huge tourist type attraction.

Houston is a great place to make money and raise a family. It has all the amenities that other cities have. Just nothing that make people want to take a one off vacation and a crazy getaway.

And seeing as Oil and Gas isn't a glamorous, sexy way to make money Houston doesn't get the positive image that many would like. How many O&G companies put national ads out? They know what they do is under constant scrutiny and whenever an O&G company is in the news, its almost always for something negative. But, Houstonians know that it is a necessary and vital part of not only the economy of this region but on a national and international level, but we're talking glamour and PR, those realms simply dont care for that.

Also considering that our sports team are downright astounding at underachieving, it's no surprise that Houston isn't in the limelight too often. And with the downsizing of NASA we fade even further into the background as we grow richer and more populous.

PS: For those that are finding lists of the limited number of TV shows or Movies that were filmed here, please know that your actually feeding into the idea that Houston is not in the limelight. Compare that to say Chicago, or Boston, or Miami. Anyone can come up with a list of almost anything to make a point.
I see all kinds of energy company adds on TV, BP, Exxon, Chevron are constantly advertising their ongoing role in our "energy future" as some ad puts it.. Granted they don't mention Houston but they are fairly prolific on TV.

The list, I posted, was just to say Houston is not without notoriety, and has more than many people would think. But let me ask this, has anybody ever thought that if Houston isn't getting enough positive media exposure, that it may be in fact, a failing of "the media" and not Houston? You seem to be one of those who suggest if not outright post that Houston should do some, song and dance, to attract attention. If the media is ignoring Houston it may be that it is weary of promoting Houston afraid that Houston may catch on too rapidly and overtake them in this imaginary hierarchy of American or World cities.

I agree that Houston is not a darling of any media and my list was not intended to say Houston was on the media agenda as much as many other metros, some of which are smaller,. But Houston is still growing and it may be working to Houston's advantage at this time to be off the radar.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:58 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,258,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
I don't think Houston is or wants to be glitz, glamor and Hollywood.
Agreed. The plastic pop culture seems more akin to Dallas.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Because many of those shows like Real Housewives of xyz or Jersey Shore are essentially wealthy trailer trash - trust fund brats or Train wreck television, made for the SAHM and unemployed crowd. If you want that, COPS and Animal rescue have filmed here...unfortunately.
This +1,000,000....So true. The English grammar of the NJ Housewives illustrates this perfectly.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketteroo View Post
You mean kinda like Duck Dynasty or Swamp People has enhanced Louisiana's image? These reality shows don't film/produce with the intent to make things look good, they edit to make things look bad.
I love how the father told the media after his recent homophobic comments "I'm no dummy. I have a degree from Louisiana Tech." This means either this is an example of how college graduates in Louisiana talk, or he is a complete fraud. I'll go with the latter.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:50 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,271,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Jason's Lyric actually portrayed Houston as a backwater swamp sleepy town with a big skyline. I guess that wasn't too far-fetched though.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:43 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Those accents. You'd think we were nothing but dirty ass country bumpkins with no type of education. That movie did nothing for Houston's image. It was small town characters and story line using a big city as its backdrop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston