Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 11:11 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,838,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carryyourbooks View Post
why would you ask you HOA if you can install landscape lighting? don't ya know the HOA only works 9-3. the chances of them doing a night drive is 0000000000000!
The neighbors might complain. I know ours requires that all exterior lighting be approved, but it is really geared towards preventing people from installing lights that will shine into neighbor's bedroom windows.

I have the low voltage lights, and installed them w/o approval. But we do have a few neighbors with regular 120V lighting in their trees and flowerbeds. As long as they are reasonable and not neon or something I doubt it would matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 08:32 PM

2,165 posts, read 3,747,240 times
Why not just do what you want and worry about it later?

Old 03-10-2014, 09:06 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,452,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
The neighbors might complain. I know ours requires that all exterior lighting be approved, but it is really geared towards preventing people from installing lights that will shine into neighbor's bedroom windows.

I have the low voltage lights, and installed them w/o approval. But we do have a few neighbors with regular 120V lighting in their trees and flowerbeds. As long as they are reasonable and not neon or something I doubt it would matter.
I have a neighbor whose neighbor has a light that shines right into their bedroom. He keeps threatening to shoot it out, lol. The neighbor with the light doesn't want to change or move it, because it provides "security".

I'm guessing the lighting approval is required for exactly this reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL_PWR View Post
Why not just do what you want and worry about it later?
Most neighborhoods won't let you get away with this. They'll start fining you and tacking on lawyer fees. Eventually, they could put a lien on your home causing you issues with selling or even refinancing.

I CHOSE to move in a neighborhood with practically no rules. However, that is the reason for the light issue for my neighbor and the reason we had a house in the neighborhood whose garage regurgitated a bunch of appliances and other "junk" into the driveway for about 2 years. (Thank you Hurricane Ike for fixing that for us - ).

Some neighborhoods have very restrictive HOA's, others are more flexible and some have none. It's best to figure out which type is in the neighborhood which you are considering buying and make a decision if that will fit you are not. If you want to have a bit of leeway in what you do to your house, don't move into a HOA "nazi" neighborhood. If you don't want your neighbor to plant any tree he chooses or want to ensure he only parks in the garage, move to a very restrictive neighborhood.

Generally speaking, when a person complains about their HOA, my first reaction is, "So you made one of the largest purchases you'll ever make without even doing a little research?"

Old 03-10-2014, 10:53 AM

238 posts, read 693,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Generally speaking, when a person complains about their HOA, my first reaction is, "So you made one of the largest purchases you'll ever make without even doing a little research?"
Well, whether this question is a rhetorical one or not, I think this reaction is a bit unfair. While home buyers are "supposed" to get information about their HOA upon buying a home, some cases (like mine) are such that home buyers don't receive full information (or even anything) on their HOA until after the option period has expired, or after their closing. If they find something they don't like about their HOA, it's often too late.

Yes I got the deed restrictions before closing (but after the option period), and they seemed reasonable (or not unreasonable enough for us to back out and sacrifice the earnest deposit). But I did not have information about who is running the board, and who is managing the neighborhood, until 3 months after the fact.

Instead of telling homeowners to "do their research" (God knows I did mine!!!), perhaps it should be made a federal LAW to provide ALL updated deed restrictions AND the NAMES of the board members / management company BEFORE the option period expires. I feel very strongly about this, so forgive me if my post comes off as abrasive.

Last edited by trekbiker; 03-10-2014 at 11:06 AM..

Old 03-10-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekbiker View Post
Well, whether this question is a rhetorical one or not, I think this reaction is a bit unfair. While home buyers are "supposed" to get information about their HOA upon buying a home, some cases (like mine) are such that home buyers don't receive full information (or even anything) on their HOA until after the option period has expired, or after their closing. If they find something they don't like about their HOA, it's often too late.

Yes I got the deed restrictions before closing (but after the option period), and they seemed reasonable (or not unreasonable enough for us to back out and sacrifice the earnest deposit). But I did not have information about who is running the board, and who is managing the neighborhood, until 3 months after the fact.

Instead of telling homeowners to "do their research" (God knows I did mine!!!), perhaps it should be made a federal LAW to provide ALL updated deed restrictions AND the NAMES of the board members / management company BEFORE the option period expires. I feel very strongly about this, so forgive me if my post comes off as abrasive.
So, essentially, you want the burden of this place on the seller?

Personally, I don't.

Let's say you are selling your home, and you gather that information and your home gets listed. It sits on the market for some time, and then you get an offer that you accept. The house closes, and you think everything is good. What could be the ramification if the management company changes between listing and closing, and you didn't know? What about if people on the board changed? Can the buyer get the sale voided due to this "false" information?

If you buy a home, it should be up to you to find out what taxes and insurance will cost, what the schools are like and what the HOA is like.

If you (not trekbiker, just people in general) think you're mature enough to purchase a home, you should do your basic homework. I don't think we should be making sure everyone's hand is held in everything they do.

Additionally, I believe that anyone who won't do their own due diligence isn't about to go reading through that "useless" information in that big packet of papers they hand you before signing your life away.

BTW, you did not come off as abrasive. I think you presented your opinion clearly and evenly.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:52 AM

238 posts, read 693,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, essentially, you want the burden of this place on the seller?

Personally, I don't.

Let's say you are selling your home, and you gather that information and your home gets listed. It sits on the market for some time, and then you get an offer that you accept. The house closes, and you think everything is good. What could be the ramification if the management company changes between listing and closing, and you didn't know? What about if people on the board changed? Can the buyer get the sale voided due to this "false" information?

If you buy a home, it should be up to you to find out what taxes and insurance will cost, what the schools are like and what the HOA is like.

If you (not trekbiker, just people in general) think you're mature enough to purchase a home, you should do your basic homework. I don't think we should be making sure everyone's hand is held in everything they do.

Additionally, I believe that anyone who won't do their own due diligence isn't about to go reading through that "useless" information in that big packet of papers they hand you before signing your life away.

BTW, you did not come off as abrasive. I think you presented your opinion clearly and evenly.
This isn't about due diligence, or lack thereof. In my case, you could have done all the due diligence till the cows came home, but if you don't get the HOA information before the option period expires (despite asking for it), you're stuck with it unless you're willing to sacrifice the earnest money deposit.

My point is that home buyers should receive the HOA information before the option period expires, and maybe sign a acknowledgement form saying they received, read, and understood the HOA information as of signing date, with understanding that things could change between then and closing. That would have been enough for me.

And by the way, I read the deed restrictions when I got them... 3 weeks after the option period expired. Anyway, I think we're getting off topic...

Old 03-11-2014, 09:40 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,279,518 times
I believe the sprinkler guy has given up. He thinks its too much work to provide all that paperwork. I have the survey. I just need to know where to place the sprinkler heads on the survey. Does anyone have a recommendation? I am not that big on lighting. I wanted lighting because I figured down the road I might have to go through the same process if I am interested in it later so why not kill two birds with one stone with my application fee. Looks like I was wrong. Right now all I need is sprinkler. Thanks

Old 06-03-2014, 12:49 PM

222 posts, read 415,649 times
I have a half baked sprinkler system currently installed. I want to upgrade it. Do you think this might require an approval/intervention by the HOA. We're talking about Cinco Ranch here. I've emailed them and waiting to hear back. I didn't see anything specific about sprinklers on their modification application form either.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:57 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,279,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slbnoob View Post
I have a half baked sprinkler system currently installed. I want to upgrade it. Do you think this might require an approval/intervention by the HOA. We're talking about Cinco Ranch here. I've emailed them and waiting to hear back. I didn't see anything specific about sprinklers on their modification application form either.
I doubt if you would need approval from HOA regarding repair and upgrade. If you think your upgrade will impact the number of zones or might impact positions of sprinkler head over easements etc then best thing is to call them or mail them a letter. I hardly get prompt email responses from HOA unless I follow-up on an already existing email trail or mail them a letter but your situation might be different.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slbnoob View Post
I'd just get it done and when they inquire about it, say, "We had a couple of leaks that were causing muddy spots in the yard. I hired a company to do the repairs and they are replacing several pipe runs due to cracks developing. I had no idea that it was going to get this involved, but I was afraid my slab might get damaged and mosquitoes would breed in the puddles that had formed."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston