Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 07:41 PM

48 posts, read 86,647 times

Advertisements

I need recommendations on Lawncare services. Mine is Bermuda grass and is full of weeds and more than 50% of the lawn is taken over by weeds. I apply weed n feeds regularly. tried all brands. I saw trueGreen and Scotts service but not sure how these companies are? are there any others that I need to look at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 10:59 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,695,017 times
Trugreen is not that great. I tried them once. It was incredibly expensive and they did not do anything special. The guy did not even know what to add to my grass because it is not the normal grass people in Houston hve. You can often find lawn guys that have all the chemicals you need. Go buy some weed killer at home depot and spray it yourself for 15 bucks. Do you have a sprinkler system? I find if the grass is healthy it will beat out the weeds. I have zoysia which is similar to bermuda. I have some weed issues, but nothing a bottle of weed spray can't knock out. I also have a separate bottle of nutgrass killer since it takes a special formula.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:28 AM

237 posts, read 648,392 times
You need to just follow this schedule. Randy Lemmon

I too have a bermuda lawn and it is a bit different than st. augustine. What type of weeds are you having issues with? If you follow the above schedule you won't have any issues especially if you use the pre-emergent. You can put a post emergent down right now to help get rid of those you have.

If the weed looks like grass, you might have sedge/nutgrass...you can't kill by pulling up. If you have it get a product called Sedgehammer and spray on it. Will kill it off.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:35 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,297,480 times
whats a good weed killer? Round up or anything else?

Old 03-17-2014, 09:46 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,772,382 times
scotts bonus s weed and feed now (still time) and then scotts turf builder in may.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:51 AM

203 posts, read 337,282 times
Im having the same problem. I wonder if all these fertilizer are safe around pets. Wife and I have a Yorkie and I'm afraid that he might end up eating the fertilizer.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:57 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,772,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley2013 View Post
Im having the same problem. I wonder if all these fertilizer are safe around pets. Wife and I have a Yorkie and I'm afraid that he might end up eating the fertilizer.
Make sure that you water it down/in after application and you shouldn't have any issues. It melts (so to speak) and should dilute completely after being watered. Make sure to sweep up any areas that the granules might have reached during application and wash down sidewalks and driveway areas.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:06 AM

504 posts, read 1,150,146 times
Weed and feed won't help those that have already emerged.

Weed and feed is good for stopping weeds before you see them in your lawn.

Get something like ortho weed b gone and spray it all over to kill existing weeds.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:15 AM

203 posts, read 337,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL_PWR View Post
Make sure that you water it down/in after application and you shouldn't have any issues. It melts (so to speak) and should dilute completely after being watered. Make sure to sweep up any areas that the granules might have reached during application and wash down sidewalks and driveway areas.
Thanks for your recommendation. I will try doing it by zone just in case. I had a lawn guy quote $150 to spray 3 different chemicals and he said that is safe for pets but I didn't trust his words.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:48 AM

70 posts, read 230,677 times
Be careful with Weed and Feed around new trees. When I had a couple of trees planted by a local nursery they gave me a care sheet and it had "I will not use weed and feed" in upper case repeated three times :-)

Apparently there is something in the weed and feed that is harmful to young establishing roots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston