Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 05:41 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,084 times

Advertisements

Oh, well, since we're busting out the Orange Show... lol

Go visit Forest Park Lawndale Cemetery where Lightnin' Hopkins and other famous Houstonians are buried, and then Glenwood Cemetery where Howard Hughes and more people whose names you'll see on airports and street signs around town are buried. Check out Hong Kong City Mall... W. 19th Street on a weekend... head to the Montrose for lunch and Rice Village for an afternoon stroll... Don't forget to go see the ginormous Xmas tree at the Galleria and go ice skating; it's a Houston tradition... and while you're there you won't want to miss the Water Wall and the Transco, I mean, Williams Tower... nothing quite says Houston like that spot right there. lol

For outdoorsy, exercisey stuff Memorial Park is better than Hermann and you'll see more people, maybe even a pro athlete or two... the Arboretum is close by, too. It's worth it for the drive down Memorial alone... although it's better coming back towards downtown, where you have a magnificent view of the skyline.

That's all I got for now... oh, you said gardens so check out Bayou Bend. Ima Hogg, first lady of Houston arts and culture, once lived there. And yes, that is her real name. And Rienzi, another house museum.

Last edited by houstoner; 12-06-2007 at 06:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 07:54 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,832,525 times
Naomi's breakfast tacos on Park Place near Broadway get very high marks from food Editor Allison Cook, Taqueria Del Sol on Park Place just on the other side of 45 is good too. There are also a couple of good coffee houses in the area:

http://www.bohemeos.com/

http://www.cafeflores.com/

Old 12-06-2007, 08:19 AM

202 posts, read 807,555 times
I second Citizen Jane...check out the Museum of Natural Science and the Zoo.The whole museum district is pretty. If you have kids with you, the Children'ts Museum is great too. Walk around Hermann or Memorial Park.

As or Mexican food, there are so many to choose from! Off the top of my head, I like 1308 Cantina on Montrose which has a lot of interesting dishes, some game and outstanding fajitas. I also like Molina's, El Tiempo (same owners as 1308) and El Rey which is little more than a taco stand. I've never had the food, but the drinks at Cyclone Anayas in Midtown are yummy. Try your luck at any hole-in-the-wall place. They are usually the best and most authentic.

Molinas
www.eltiempocantina.com
www.1308cantina.com

Old 12-06-2007, 08:48 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,760,314 times
I would start from the woodland and make my way down to Spring, kline, and ckeck out the downtown area. The next day I would look at cypress, katy, and the memorial area. On the third time out check out Mo. city, sugarland and richmond. that should give you a good ideal what you will want.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:48 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
Space Center Houston is worth an afternoon, especially if you can find a coupon. This is on the farthest SE corner of the city limits. For dinner afterwards, Kemah is worth a look. You'll spend a good $50 for 2 people, though.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:34 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,657,159 times
The Museum District...self-explanatory. Hermann Park is also near there which is nice.

You should know Spanish for the best Mexican restraunts because there is a ton of Tex-Mex crap around here that isn't real Mexican food at all. There are a ton of small, privately-owned taquerias that serve great food...made by Mexicans for Mexicans. This usually scares the sheltered people but they have great food. They're not going to pounce on you and kidnap you.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:54 AM

Funny, I've eaten at plenty of hole in the wall Tex-Mex places in the largely Hispanic SE and SW parts of town and never needed to speak Spanish. And the food was great... going in at least.

The city was close to 40% Hispanic in 2000 not counting the undocumented, so one would have to be pretty sheltered indeed to stay away from these places. Oh well, more for me!

Old 12-06-2007, 03:42 PM

I live in the NW area inside the loop which has a pretty large concentration of Hispanics. In 9/10 of the places around here the workers do not speak English. Every time I've gone in any of them I haven't seen a single white person inside, and I've gone to them quite a lot of times in my life.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:44 PM

Oh, and I need to add that these are NOT Tex-Mex places. These are MEXICAN places. There's a noticable difference.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
I live in the NW area inside the loop which has a pretty large concentration of Hispanics. In 9/10 of the places around here the workers do not speak English. Every time I've gone in any of them I haven't seen a single white person inside, and I've gone to them quite a lot of times in my life.

At first I was like "huh?"

Then you said NW side.

Now I understand!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston