Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 10:09 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Climate? We rarely have days under freezing.
We also have several months of very hot and humid weather, which is uncomfortable for many people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrotriton View Post

- Highly segregated - segregation is the primary factor influencing housing prices. Different races mix and get along fine when out and about; but don't try to move into each others neighborhood or animosity might follow. This is more to an extreme than most other cities you might be familiar with.
Why don't you share some experiences with us of this animosity and extreme segregation you speak of? And what long list of cities do you feel are far better off than us?

Old 03-20-2014, 10:44 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,726,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Why don't you share some experiences with us of this animosity and extreme segregation you speak of? And what long list of cities do you feel are far better off than us?
I also question the idea that Houston is one of the "most" segregated cities in the US. For example, Buffalo, NY (where I moved here from) is much more segregated than Houston. However, it would equally silly to assert that Houston isn't largely segregated by race, with class being a heavy factor as well. Not only the residential sector is segregated, the employment sector is segregated as well, with upper management positions being overwhelmingly white and male. I just don't know how anyone can assert that any city in the us is not basically segregated, and that minorities bear the brunt end of the segregation, usually residing in poorer areas with less infrastructure and less quality of education. That's just a fact--in Houston as in other major cities. And it's an ugly fact, as well I might add, bearing witness to the continued presence in our daily lives of the worst chapters in American history.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:18 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Good = Diversity (languages, cultures, food), close to the beach, tropical city (somebody is gonna get mad about that )

Bad = City is run by land developers, no good planning, roads that don't make sense (See Rayford-Sawdust which is split in 3-4 sections), nice 4 lane roads in areas with low traffic, 2 lane roads in areas with lots of traffic, traffic lights not synchronized = Bad traffic everywhere

Old 03-20-2014, 11:19 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrotriton View Post
- Highly segregated - segregation is the primary factor influencing housing prices. Different races mix and get along fine when out and about; but don't try to move into each others neighborhood or animosity might follow. This is more to an extreme than most other cities you might be familiar with.
Sugar Land and The Woodlands are full of Hispanic and Asians

Old 03-20-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Good = Diversity (languages, cultures, food), close to the beach, tropical city (somebody is gonna get mad about that )

Bad = City is run by land developers, no good planning, roads that don't make sense (See Rayford-Sawdust which is split in 3-4 sections), nice 4 lane roads in areas with low traffic, 2 lane roads in areas with lots of traffic, traffic lights not synchronized = Bad traffic everywhere
Eh, nothing to get mad about. It simply isn't true. Sub/semi-tropical? Sure. Tropical? No.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:01 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
We also have several months of very hot and humid weather, which is uncomfortable for many people.
In August in Houston, I can casually stroll into Lowe's from the parking lot and even stop to talk to a neighbor I may run into. In the afternoons, I get in my car, roll down the windows, blast the a/c and I'm good in about 3 minutes.

In January in Pittsburgh, you run from your car indoors as fast as possible. In the mornings, you start up the car, turn on the heater, and go back inside for 10 minutes.

Houston summers > northeast winters.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
In August in Houston, I can casually stroll into Lowe's from the parking lot and even stop to talk to a neighbor I may run into. In the afternoons, I get in my car, roll down the windows, blast the a/c and I'm good in about 3 minutes.

In January in Pittsburgh, you run from your car indoors as fast as possible. In the mornings, you start up the car, turn on the heater, and go back inside for 10 minutes.

Houston summers > northeast winters.
That's your opinion, though. Clearly, many would disagree. A lot of people don't want to be outside a second longer than they have to in August.

Most new model cars don't have to be warmed up in cold weather. Growing up (and with the older cars I've had), I remember doing this plenty of times in Houston winters.

Old 03-20-2014, 02:11 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
Quote:
Climate? We rarely have days under freezing.

Ugly - Well that's subjective.
As Nairobi pointed out, the issue with me was the heat and humidity. As we know, different strokes.

And yes, I agree with you: how any one individual views Houston's appearance is of course subjective (as is this entire thread). There are pockets of tremendous beauty: Rice U area, North & South Boulevard, certain Heights neighborhoods, etc. Plus, I would include Allen Parkway and Post Oak Blvd as beautiful, planned thoroughfares. Overall, however, I don't feel Houston's aesthetics are one of its great assets: the sprawl, strip centers, feeder roads, billboards, signage (banners, streamers, etc.), east side manufacturing, etc. greatly detract from the city's appearance, IMO. Also I include topography and setting in in my assessment: its location on a hot, flat prairie/plain means it lacks the visual appeal of cities set on scenic rivers, lakes, oceans, and/or mountains.

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 03-20-2014 at 03:34 PM..

Old 03-20-2014, 08:09 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,228 times
Good: beer, taco trucks, diversity

Bad: music scene, heat and humidity, spread out, demographics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston