Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 01:19 PM

241 posts, read 585,740 times

Advertisements

We have two air conditioning units in our home and they were installed in 2000 when the house was built. A technician from Morrow Mechnical today told us that the downstairs unit has a leak and that we will need a new unit because it is a 12 seer rating. He quoted us $9100 for one 14 seer, 5 ton Lennox unit and said that he would throw in one new heating system if we agree today. I am curious to see what you all think of this quote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 01:36 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,770,670 times
I am not able to comment on the quote. I am curious how it was determined you need a five ton unit? How large is your downstairs in square feet?

Old 03-19-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
I am not able to comment on the quote. I am curious how it was determined you need a five ton unit? How large is your downstairs in square feet?
We currently have a five ton unit and our downstairs is 2500 sf. We do have an open floor plan down here. Does that unit sound too big for the house?

Old 03-19-2014, 01:46 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Seems close. I had three 16 series Amana units put in back in October. That included furnaces, new duct work, and the uv light dust/mold air cleaner for each unit... and three years of filters for all three units. The three units ranged from 7-10k each. The 10k being the 5 ton size.

The 9100, should include the furnace. He's not throwing anything in.

I really really liked my AC company. They came highly recommended.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:56 PM

670 posts, read 1,442,022 times
5ton is more than likely too large. Builders used to oversize units in order to cover up inefficiencies in duct sizing, length of duct runs, leaky collars and registers, etc. So what you have now is not necessarily what size you really need. Without knowing much information about your house, I'd say a 4-ton is closer to what you need. Don't ever go with the first quote you get. I went down from a 4 to 3 downstairs and it's perfect, and am about go down from 3 to 2 upstairs.

How big is the leak? If it's a tiny pinhole leak, then you're probably ok in just having your system recharged as needed while you get more educated as to what your house requires compared to what your budget is. These days you definitely want a variable speed air handler as well. If you want I can give you the # of my AC guy who installed our unit a few years back.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:18 PM

As texsn95 already replied that 5 ton may be a bit oversized, which is why I was curious to how the calculations were done. There is a very precise procedure used which I admit I cannot perform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysflyin View Post
We currently have a five ton unit and our downstairs is 2500 sf. We do have an open floor plan down here. Does that unit sound too big for the house?

Old 03-19-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Seems close. I had three 16 series Amana units put in back in October. That included furnaces, new duct work, and the uv light dust/mold air cleaner for each unit... and three years of filters for all three units. The three units ranged from 7-10k each. The 10k being the 5 ton size.

The 9100, should include the furnace. He's not throwing anything in.

I really really liked my AC company. They came highly recommended.
Thanks! Yeah, after doing a little research on the internet, I figured that out. I guess he figures that this is a way to get rid of his overstock of furnaces now that winter is over.

Yes, I'd appreciate a recommendation. I get the sense that many of these folks are sleazy.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
As texsn95 already replied that 5 ton may be a bit oversized, which is why I was curious to how the calculations were done. There is a very precise procedure used which I admit I cannot perform.
The total house is 4000 sf, with a 5 ton for the bottom (bigger area) and a 3.5 ton for the top. I've been told it's about 1 ton per 500 sf.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:41 PM

670 posts, read 1,442,022 times
Quote:
Manual J calc for heat load
https://www.resnet.us/blog/manual-j-...d-calculation/

Quote:
The total house is 4000 sf, with a 5 ton for the bottom (bigger area) and a 3.5 ton for the top. I've been told it's about 1 ton per 500 sf.
1 ton per 500 sf is an old way to estimate and often leads to oversized systems. There are too many variables to say for sure online and if you really want to know, have someone do a manual J calc on your house. It may cost some up front, but in the end could save your much more money in the long run.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:47 PM

Also oversized units can cause humidity and moisture related issues with your home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texsn95 View Post
Manual J calc for heat load
https://www.resnet.us/blog/manual-j-...d-calculation/

1 ton per 500 sf is an old way to estimate and often leads to oversized systems. There are too many variables to say for sure online and if you really want to know, have someone do a manual J calc on your house. It may cost some up front, but in the end could save your much more money in the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston