Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2014, 10:57 AM

15 posts, read 23,472 times

Advertisements

I have a mentally retarded and epileptic (though the epilepsy is not an issue with medication) uncle, and my mom is getting too old to take care of him. He is low-functioning but definitely not aggressive or violent. My research online has only led to sites about getting government assistance so he can live on his own. However, that's not possible for him. And he's too low-functioning for a place like Brookwood. He needs a place like a nursing home for retarded adults instead of the elderly.

Does anyone here know of such places in the Houston area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 11:03 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,808,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cf1140 View Post
I have a mentally retarded and epileptic (though the epilepsy is not an issue with medication) uncle, and my mom is getting too old to take care of him. He is low-functioning but definitely not aggressive or violent. My research online has only led to sites about getting government assistance so he can live on his own. However, that's not possible for him. And he's too low-functioning for a place like Brookwood. He needs a place like a nursing home for retarded adults instead of the elderly.

Does anyone here know of such places in the Houston area?
Maybe this place: Residential Services | The Center

Just found the link on United Way's website so I don't know anything about it.

Good luck.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:56 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
Maybe this place: Residential Services | The Center

Just found the link on United Way's website so I don't know anything about it.

Good luck.
United Way is a great suggestion. They have professionals who help (for no charge) people in the area find such resources.

I suggest visiting this page:

United Way of Greater Houston Community Resources

And you can also call 211. 211 is answered 24/7.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:37 PM

370 posts, read 612,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
United Way is a great suggestion. They have professionals who help (for no charge) people in the area find such resources.

I suggest visiting this page:

United Way of Greater Houston Community Resources

And you can also call 211. 211 is answered 24/7.
211 is legit,

i'll try to ask around and let you know OP

Old 03-22-2014, 07:44 AM

112 posts, read 200,065 times
Try MHMRA of Harris County Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (IDD) Department
IDD Home Page

I also have a friend who used to work for Reach Unlimited in the Cypress area Reach Unlimited | Home Page and I know they have community homes for adults with IDD.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: