Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2014, 08:12 PM

2 posts, read 2,103 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to the Woodlands (maybe Conroe, maybe Spring), hopefully moving in around August 1st. The plan is to rent something, perhaps for a year, while she figures out where she is going to work. One thought was to go early to mid-June to look for a place at leisure. A second thought was to go and look in April or May to get a feel for where we might want to be, then come back to find and sign on a place at the very end of June/start of July.

So, how far in advance of moving in should one look for an apartment in the Houston area, the Woodlands or such, before moving in?

Any advice is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 10:53 PM

292 posts, read 1,063,636 times
Most communities are on a 60 day notice to vacate, so at least that amount of time.
Not sure when school starts so plan for that as well as communities with the better school get leased ahead of time.

Your plan to visit in Spring is a good idea, that way you know where you want to be. Also see if the community may have a wait list you can get on so you have first choice of the floor plans you like there. Some may require you pay your application, administrative fee and deposit up front to be on it. If they do have a wait list, be sure to ask them if doing so locks your price in as a lot of communities are on yield star which is a pricing matrix like hotels and airlines use. This changes their rates pretty much daily depending on what the market is doing.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:56 AM

112 posts, read 198,885 times
I don't have the answer to your exact question, but wanted to offer a resource. My husband and I moved here almost two years ago now and rented for 9 months before we bought our home-same situation, we moved for his work and did not know where I would be working since I didn't look for a job until we were out here.
We used an apartment locator to help us since we knew nothing of the area. He was free and really did do a good job for us. Someone like that may also be able to give you an idea of the market and when you should be looking.
Here is the information on who we used if you are interested:
His website: David J. Moore, Houston Realtor and Apartment Locator in the Houston and surrounding areas.
My Yelp review: David J Moore - Seabrook, TX | Yelp

Old 03-23-2014, 01:06 PM

292 posts, read 1,063,636 times
One thing to consider with an apt locator is that they will only send you to places that they collect the highest amount of commission for. So have your own back up list as well. Places you like might not be included on their list. Their services are free to the person as the apt community pays their commission which can be up to one months rent.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,103 times
Thanks for your advice.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:22 PM

31 posts, read 42,604 times
Also check our renting a house Houston Real estate, Houston homes, Houston Realtors - HAR.com
shenandoah, spring, woodlands has some nice reasonably priced places
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston