Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 12:45 PM

268 posts, read 383,525 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
My family (wife, 2 infants and 2 dogs) & I are planning to move to Houston, TX from Tucson, AZ sometime this year. I work as a consultant, so work location is not very important.
The two places that we will be frequently commuting to/from our future HOME are:
1) (Daily commute) DAV Montessori PRE-School for my kids, located on 14375 Schiller Rd, Houston, TX 77082
2) (Weekly commute) Houston Airport

I have been looking at ZILLOW and TRULIA and HAR and other websites, but was wondering if people in this forum can give me their first-hand experience and advice on preferable neighborhood choices in Houston in terms of:
1) frequent commute to/from this PRE-school and airport
2) close proximity to good Elementary, Middle and High Schools as my kids grow
3) goes without saying, but, safe residential neighborhoods where there's more of 'families with young kids'

As I mentioned before, work location is not going to be a criteria in my search. Once I figure out which neighborhood we want to be in, we will be looking for a home for the next 15+ years with the following preferences:
1) Single Story
2) Max budget of $600k
3) At least a Quarter acre lot
4) At least 2500 sq. feet
5) 3+BR, 2+BA

Hope that is not too much to ask for!

Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 02:04 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Nottingham Forest 77079.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:37 PM

90 posts, read 173,825 times
WHICH airport?

The Houston area has two major airports - IAH (to the far north) and Hobby (to the south).

Depending on where and what times of day you are flying to every week, the air services from one one airport might be superior to the other, so living closer to that one might make a lot of sense. (Living on one side of town and having to drive regularly to the airport on the other side of town would be one of the many variants of "Houston commuting hell". Even living sort of "in the middle" between the two airports might still make for a rather unpleasant trek to either one.....).

Old 03-24-2014, 03:25 PM

Thank you 'EasilyAmused' and 'imback'!
I will be flying out of IAH.
Appreciate your inputs.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:38 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,132,383 times
Your pre-school requirement is a bit limiting; there are many other Montessori preschools throughout Houston. Why not pick the area first then the school? Westside Montessori is popular in our neighborhood.

77079 is a good choice as its equidistance in time and mileage to both airports. IAH isn't too bad to get home to 77079 in rush hour. I fly Southwest domestically but not sure about Hobby as I tend to get in later in the evening.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:39 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,132,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrD76 View Post
Thank you 'EasilyAmused' and 'imback'!
I will be flying out of IAH.
Appreciate your inputs.
Just saw this, you need a different pre-school!

Old 03-24-2014, 03:56 PM

HaHa Thanks ToyYot for your inputs. That is the feeling I was getting when searching for homes around that pre-school, so I thought I'd ask folks on this forum.
I have a very personal reason in picking that particular pre-school. If I don't find anything satisfying ALL of my criteria, I am of course, open to expanding my search area.
I must perhaps expand on why that school is of interest to me. I am from India, and that particular school (DAV Montessori School) provides Montessori education along with Indian culture and language, to kids up to First Grade (7 yrs old).
My twins are still infants, but, in planning ahead, I thought I'd have them go to that school, at least till 1st Grade, learn a bit of where I come from, and then move on to whatever's available later.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:45 PM

90 posts, read 173,825 times
DrD76 - you do know that while Indian people reside all over Houston, there is a substantial community in the more southwest quadrant of the metro area - namely in Sugar Land and other parts of Fort Bend County. Also located along the same southwest trajectory (but in the City of Houston in Harris County) is an area with a very high concentration of Indian restaurants, shops, business, etc.... which is known locally as "Little India" or even just "Hillcroft" (it's actual official name is the Mahatma Gandhi District) - this area is more or less along and radiating from Hillcroft Avenue as it passes north of Highway 59.

I think that in these areas there are Indian cultural centers, classes, events, etc.. including some geared to children, though I am not so sure if there is that particular combination of Indian culture and Montessori (!)

Unfortunately - while not too far from Hobby Airport, all of this is very far indeed from IAH.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:03 PM

152 posts, read 458,121 times
If you are just commuting to IAH on a weekly basis (e.g. Fly out Monday, fly back Thursday) then Sugar Land or Richmond might be a good choice, as they aren't too far from DAV montessori. The drive to IAH is far, but not too bad if you're only doing that drive weekly. I live in Aliana and that preschool is only about 20 minutes away (my kid goes there). But I don't think you will find 1/4 acre lots in Aliana.

If I have misunderstood and you have to commute to IAH more often than that, then I would definitely consider other areas perhaps between IAH and the preschool.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:21 PM

226 posts, read 310,783 times
Parkway Villages/Lakes of Parkway, Briar Forest between Eldridge and 6 has homes in your price range, and Barbara Bush Elementary may be the best HISD elementary in west Houston. Not sure of the reputation of West Briar Middle and Westside High. I think the houses were built in the late 80s-90s.

Barkers Landing, off of 6 between Memorial and 10 is in Katy ISD. Zoned to Wolfe Elementary in the neighborhood, Memorial Parkway Middle, and Taylor High, both in the Westgreen/Provincial area of Katy. Not sure about those school's ratings.

Both neighborhoods are a straight shot up 6 from Schiller Rd.

But as other posters have said, there is a large Indian population in Sugar Land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston