Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 03:28 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Better that than by eminent domain for a Super collider and then to H.L. Hunt. Or a foreign owned pipeline whose product will go through a free port to China.
That's like saying it's better to die of a heart attack than to be mauled to death by a grisly.

I'd prefer neither.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 08:05 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,736,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Which means that it's possible that at some time you either can't afford the taxes any more and are forced to move or that the government can take your home if you can't pay the taxes.
If your over 65 you can defer your property taxes and pay them upon sale of the home. If your under 65 get a damn job and pay your taxes and stop whining. If your taxes went up because your house is suddenly worth a half million dollars, boohoo, take out a home equity loan or cash out and move.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:38 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glossa View Post
I wish the whole tax situation would be reviewed and revised. Taxpayers paying for city employees' retirement (if I understand correctly, we're on the hook for 1/3 of the cost) is not something I am happy about (police and firemen excluded).
How else would a city employee be paid? Its takes more than firemen and cops to manage and plan a city. One can argue the overlap between city and county is redundant but on that end that probably wouldnt bring in much cash. Texas heavily relies on sales tax and citizens property taxes. We dont get 10-20 yr tax breaks for our homes

Old 04-29-2014, 08:28 AM

103 posts, read 181,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
If your over 65 you can defer your property taxes and pay them upon sale of the home.
Are you saying people over 65 don't pay property tax?

Old 04-29-2014, 08:59 AM

960 posts, read 2,750,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwtomt2day View Post
No, he is saying "deferred" which means put off paying by cash or check. Then the county will put a lien on the property. People over age 65 still owe property taxes now or when their property is sold.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:59 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,053,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwtomt2day View Post
I find this question, paired with the quote, hilarious.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:51 AM

418 posts, read 742,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
How else would a city employee be paid? Its takes more than firemen and cops to manage and plan a city. One can argue the overlap between city and county is redundant but on that end that probably wouldnt bring in much cash. Texas heavily relies on sales tax and citizens property taxes. We dont get 10-20 yr tax breaks for our homes
Salaries are not the problem. It's the cushy retirement plans funded by the taxpayers that I have an issue with.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:54 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
If your over 65 you can defer your property taxes and pay them upon sale of the home. If your under 65 get a damn job and pay your taxes and stop whining. If your taxes went up because your house is suddenly worth a half million dollars, boohoo, take out a home equity loan or cash out and move.
So, you're saying that the working class people who were essentially kicked out of the neighborhoods such as the Heights should have taken out loans to pay for their increased taxes?

Let them eat cake.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:10 AM

103 posts, read 181,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
I find this question, paired with the quote, hilarious.
Sorry, I guess what I don't understand is...what if they don't sell....? Then die?

Old 04-29-2014, 11:59 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,266,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, you're saying that the working class people who were essentially kicked out of the neighborhoods such as the Heights should have taken out loans to pay for their increased taxes?

Let them eat cake.
Its not just working class people that get effected by property taxes. Yes, loads of middle income, or lower income folks in the heights got the boot because of the increase in property taxes, but there are upper middle class folks getting taxed out of memorial, river oaks, and even the Heights.

Property taxes are up across the whole city. There is a shortage of housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston